Willing to adopt gonioporas

FuEl

Somehow gonioporas do very well in my tank....not sure why also...so if any of you has any that are'nt opening well or doing well can just pass to me...I'll try my best to save them.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine is doing well too, but it is a small one. Is there supposed to be a problem with jewels? I have seen many tanks that have this coral, I thought it is very common.

Many people buy them on impulse. Gonioporas don't do well in newly mature tanks. You won't see them expanding so much. So if anyone bought them on impulse...can put in my tank..I would'nt mind a whole tankful of gonioporas.. :D

how long has it been there?

i had one that was doing well for 8months,

survived a move from the old tank,

and then the cuke episode..

then one day, just died in space of 1 month...

:(

Hmmm..been in my tank for about 3-4 months? Can't remember...

No signs of receding tissue as yet...seems to be some new growth over the formerly dead skeleton near the bottom.. Good news?

• SRC Member

Hmmm..been in my tank for about 3-4 months? Can't remember...

No signs of receding tissue as yet...seems to be some new growth over the formerly dead skeleton near the bottom.. Good news?

Don't be too happy yet :unsure:

Mine was healthy for about six month then suddenly die within the next month :fear:

Wait till you can keep it alive for more than a year then you can start selling your secret of keeping it alive (and healthy) :D

dino07.gif

Okie...think about 6 more months more it should still be alive..unless something unexpectantly happens...like my tank cracking at the seams...earthquake...cuke crash... :D

If it dies during the maturation of my DSB which I will be setting up soon..then I think I would know what is crucial in the keeping of flowerpots already... you must have.......NITRATES! :angel:

fuel, ur gonis r stretching out too long.... dont u think so? means they r trying to reach for intense lighting......

They are supposed to be that long. What you mean stretching for light? I've got 162 watts of T5s over them already. Somemore they are only about 1.5 ft away from the light source.

• SRC Member
fuel, ur gonis r stretching out too long.... dont u think so? means they r trying to reach for intense lighting......

Okay, I am confused here...

If the corals open big big and stretching out, is this a good thing or bad?

Because all my corals are opening big big and if this is a problem I must do something about. previously I thought that opening big is a good thing.

Okay, I am confused here...

If the corals open big big and stretching out, is this a good thing or bad?

Because all my corals are opening big big and if this is a problem I must do something about. previously I thought that opening big is a good thing.

I think reefer guy used to keep planted tanks. I used to play with plants too. For plants if they stretch too much means ur lighting is insufficient.

However, totally different thing for corals. Corals are not plants. They are animals. They have to expand as big as possible to increase surface area to capture light for the symbiotic zooxanthellae. Some also expand to increase their chances of capturing more prey.

• SRC Member

Looks ..... weird. tentacles on top only opening. . tentacles overextening on 1 side.. In the ocean they open up to something like a giant ball.

and Tissue looks like Its receding at the base if u havnt notice

theres a big difference in overextending and blooming.

Corals arent plants.. but their symbiotic zooxanthallae function the same as a leaf

Most ppls gonipora usually thrive for a few months . 3-4 is wayyyy too short a time to tell anything at all

post-15-1068021702.jpg

• SRC Member

I think reefer guy used to keep planted tanks. I used to play with plants too. For plants if they stretch too much means ur lighting is insufficient.

However, totally different thing for corals. Corals are not plants. They are animals. They have to expand as big as possible to increase surface area to capture light for the symbiotic zooxanthellae. Some also expand to increase their chances of capturing more prey.

never tried planted tanks though.... but advised by some reefers of this situation.. i am aware its a long tentacled goni, but notice that the right side is stretching far more than the left portion.... not an expert on this and pls dont take it personally, no offense... will post my goni pic later just to show how it 'spherifies' into a big even ball.....

Because my lobster just moved its feelers past them. That why the right side look more expanded...the bottom looks shrunken becoz of the activity of the sea cuke.

Corals don't look the same 24/7. :D Furthermore the pic taken quite late..the largest bloom occurs around 2pm for me...took the pic an hour late..

Somehow my goniopora can sense when the light is going to off...30 mins to 1 hour before the lights off it will start to reduce its size already...

• SRC Member

i really dont think lobster feelers can affect a goni that much.. How long ago since ur cuke touched it.

corals look the same 10/7 :P .

Reefers have been searching for years the trace elements required to keep goniporas successfully in captivity.. dun think just high nitrates will suffice dude. what about the other LS in your tank . gotta think of how the nitrates will affect them.

sorry but your thread topic just irks me . "please give them a chance".

I really dont see how the lobster feelers can cause a pattern as shown. and it would have to be a really gigantic lobster... and why would a lobster bother your gonipora.

Maybe your cuke was eating your goni that caused the receding at the base

Edited by SpiderOne

Erm..30 mins before I took the pic I guess? Not to mention the anemone shrimp in it that likes to hang out at the base of the goniopora..

Left side also seems shorter because of the way my water is flowing..water is flowing against the coral from the left, which explains why the right hand side polyps are longer too. Julian Sprung also agrees that low water flow will help goniopora sp. extend their polyps to their full potential. My water current at the right side of the tank is gentle even for seahorses to swim without much trouble. So actually this is not overextending...rather..that's the way they should be. In an aquarium with new water...and moderate-high water currents, naturally their polyp length will be significantly reduced. Also..overly clean water can be detrimental to goniopora sp. I am very certain my tank is not clean. :evil:

As for goniopora becoming a ball...the only way I find it applies to goniopora sp. is when it is retracting its polyps..or when there is very very little water current or none at all. For other goniopora species they might look more like a ball because their polyps dun extend as much?

I'm not sure about the phenomenon as to why gonioporas preferentially extend their upper polyps rather than the lower ones..Maybe they don't find it worthwhile as extending the lower polyps wun receive as much light as the polyps above?

Anyway..pic of the goniopora from the right. Notice the polyps extend longer here due to more calm waters.

post-15-1068027229.jpg

I really dont see how the lobster feelers can cause a pattern as shown. and it would have to be a really gigantic lobster... and why would a lobster bother your gonipora.

Maybe your cuke was eating your goni that caused the receding at the base

Mine is not reef lobster..but blue spiny lobster..you know those with big strong white feelers? Can cook and eat one.. body length about 7cm excluding feelers.

The receding at the base was already there when I got the poor thing from a FW convert. They kept it under like pink and white FW lights. Now it seems happier..compared to the short stubby polyps I saw at the aquarium. At least it has not receded anymore..seems to be stabilising...

hehe..sorry SpiderOne if my topic sounded irky...meant to be for ppl new into the hobby and dunno how to take care of gonioporas properly..at least I feel I can give them a better quality of life before they expire like all living things do.... :ph34r:

dont have to apologise dude. its just a comment

hehe...ok...all is well.. B)

Actually started this thread because I looking forward to a 2nd goni... :angel: But then now broke already...take bus also got problem..thanks to the T5s, cooling fan, sump and weipro2012...haix.. :paiseh:

• SRC Member

Many people buy them on impulse. Gonioporas don't do well in newly mature tanks. You won't see them expanding so much. So if anyone bought them on impulse...can put in my tank..I would'nt mind a whole tankful of gonioporas.. :D

You are right....I'm one of the impluse buyer....too bad that I just see this thread, if not sure pass to you...too late leow....it became botak this morning.... :(

• SRC Member

So can anyone tell me how the jewel is supposed to be open? Mine does not open like reefer guy's pic. More like fuel. Is that bad?

By the way, Fuel, I can totally understand your feeling... so many things to get, so shallow my pocket.