What brand salt mix u using?

belle

• SRC Member
it has already been more than 24 hours... i mixed it last night about 10pm....

oh you mean you just started cycling your tank? Than its ok to use coral life.Its economical that way since you gotta change large amount of water after the cycling process finishes.At least thats what i do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

i did not say it does not dissolve easily... but after it dissolved, seems like got particles suspended in water..... it is just that the water is not as cleas as when i use Tropic Marin....

Any others using other brands of salt mix?

• SRC Member

i really wonder how much diff the diff brands of salt can make. other than solubility. even that i feel is negligible. i mean, sooner or later, its going to dissolve yah? at most aid it by manually stiring it a bit. i used to use TM too. switched to CL recently. really cannot justify the diff in price. so far so good. i bet my corals don't even know the diff. at least they look that way. one thing about CL thats irks me is the darn packet of trace elements. can't they just mix it into the salt in the factory or something?

me also prefer Tropic Marin... no need to stir and stir....

I believe every type of salt still needs to be stirred or circulated. even though the salt has dissolved physically to the ###### eye, it may actually be saturated at one spot. much like not stirring your cup of tea with sugar at the bottom. the sugar will eventually dissolve, if its not saturated that is. and the bottom of the tea will be sweet, but not the top.

hope you understand my logic. (=

• SRC Member

i have ben using Coralife since the first day... cheapest in the market... $18/6.6KG, where to find other cheaper salt? as long as the corals are o.k with it, i guess it should be o.k

but there is 1 problem i have with coralife salt. Whenever i mix the salt with FW, there will be 1 layer of white colour stuff sink on the bottom of the pain, even when i use a 600L/H rating powerhead, same thing will happen. i have to wait for all the white colour stuff to sink to the bottom and then pour the SW mix to another pail slowly, the last 1~2cm of the SW mix will not be use as the sendiment will make my tank very cloudy. Anyone have any solution for this?

Strictly IMHO... Salt is salt is salt ...

One also has to consider the purity of water you're mixing with.

If its RO/DI water, fair enough, it should be clean of any contaminants.

Even not so, I would not raise hell over how useless some of these devices are.

Besides, you'll test and correct any deficiencies anyway with buffers and the various chemical, mechanical or natural filtration in place.

I suppose no one salt is the best, reviews are highly subjective.

So I took the easy way out and base my choice on salt solely which is most economical.

Less worry, less hassle, more life :D

Besides, you'd be surprise to know some brands of salt come from the same factory...

i did not say it does not dissolve easily... but after it dissolved, seems like got particles suspended in water..... it is just that the water is not as cleas as when i use Tropic Marin....

Any others using other brands of salt mix?

That never happen to us........ ;);)

Strictly IMHO... Salt is salt is salt ...

One also has to consider the purity of water you're mixing with.

If its RO/DI water, fair enough, it should be clean of any contaminants.

Even not so, I would not raise hell over how useless some of these devices are.

Besides, you'll test and correct any deficiencies anyway with buffers and the various chemical, mechanical or natural filtration in place.

I suppose no one salt is the best, reviews are highly subjective.

So I took the easy way out and base my choice on salt solely which is most economical.

Less worry, less hassle, more life :D

Besides, you'd be surprise to know some brands of salt come from the same factory...

Yah so the best for em is to buy the cheapest one........

Well, if I may comment, the salt mix use can be both a matter of economical savings and habitual brand...I have used TM, Instant Ocean, CL and hW, really like hW quality...dissolves fast....

Was "enlightened" about salt mix by the owner of E*A*Place recently ...that there is a S-15 Report done on marine salt grading (www.aquacraft.net), apparently, all the usual brands scored badly <50/100 with CL at lowest 23/100... all except one brand, Marine Environment at 100/100....they sell it there, at quite an econmical price too....can read the article at the website above...interesting remarks.

Well, if I may comment, the salt mix use can be both a matter of economical savings and habitual brand...I have used TM, Instant Ocean, CL and hW, really like hW quality...dissolves fast....

Was "enlightened" about salt mix by the owner of E*A*Place recently ...that there is a S-15 Report done on marine salt grading (www.aquacraft.net), apparently, all the usual brands scored badly <50/100 with CL at lowest 23/100... all except one brand, Marine Environment at 100/100....they sell it there, at quite an econmical price too....can read the article at the website above...interesting remarks.

one must wonder if the brand of salt that was ranked with 100/100 actually doctored the results. you'll never know, right? :P