choked to death

kelstorm

• SRC Member

sob sob.. was feeding my seahorse with frozen mysis shrimp last nite and it was feeding just fine until i saw it suck in a shrimp together with a small piece of coral sand and right before my very eyes, it choked to death.. i was shocked and could not do anything.. sob sob... had it for 1.5 yrs already.. :cry2:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Wow. So sad to hear about it. Surprised it couldn't spit it out. Sorry to ask but was it instantaneous?

i saw the coral sand went into its mouth.. and the next moment, it was shaking its head and it looked like it trying to purge the sand.. and it couldnt.. and next moment... :cry: and its tail is clasping tightly on the macroalge... si bu ming mu... :cry:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Maybe the seahorse watch that video tape?? The ring??

i hope that ur beloved clams watch the ring, whether wedding ring, o-ring earrings or any ring (suffering etc) and wither and die.. :D hahahaha... idiot.. hahaha... :D:lol: just kidding....

• SRC Member
did u try doing CPR?? :lol:

CPR???on a seahorse??? using a straw???? <_<

• SRC Member

sorry to hear about the loss..actually i was about to make a funny comment in response to Hon's remark...but...i think i better not rub salt to your loss...

cheer up bro....

it is ok.. Hon is a joker.. i replied to him too.. we know each other... no worries and thanks for your concern... ;)

• SRC Member
oh no.. hmmmm must jie ai shun bian.. jiu de bu que xin de bu lai..

hahaaa

in this case, it is difficult coz hard to wean wild caught SH to feed on frozen mysis... furthermore, hard to find SH that feeds (except for captive bred)

Right now, i only left with 1 male SH inside.. with lots of copepods to eat.... thinking of getting him another partner.. but i will wait and look ard first...

cannot xi xin yan jiu leh.. still hurts when i go home and see a tank with only 1 SH... :(

• SRC Member
hehe..now you can consider going for a bare-bottom seahorse tank. :huh:

nah... i like the "refugium" theme.... :D

• SRC Member
in this case, it is difficult coz hard to wean wild caught SH to feed on frozen mysis...

Is it that difficult to acclimatise them? I thought the key is to handle them carefully from point of capture to the retail space. Properly handled seahorse are not that dififcult to weane, starve for 3 days, most will commence eating already. At least that was my limited experience.

• SRC Member
starve for 3 days???  i cant bear to do that...

Why not, typical experience of a wc seahorse:

Day 1: Stop feeding 24 hrs prior to shipping.

Day 2: 1 day (hypothetical) spent in the lfs recovering from shipping shock.

Day 3: Bought by jailor to serve life sentence in a glass box.

If you bought your seahorse the day after the lfs received stocks, and your seahorse start eating the NEXT day, it would still have gone 3 days without food.

:D

• SRC Member
Day 3: Bought by jailor to serve life sentence in a glass box.

hahaha.. jailor.. i like that.. brighten up my gloomy day at work.. :P i cant bear to let my SH to become skinny.. i like them fat!!! :P