Jervis' Reefing Renaissance

jervismun

Hi SRC members

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all SRC members (yes, you!) for your support and encouragements throughout the past 1 1/2 years. Together we have been through a lot and looking back… we have all learned so much.

The picture below can roughly sums up my feelings... we are definitely a bunch of passionate people :yeah:

010110.jpg

Picture extracted from Reef Central by Spazz

Time for some flashbacks :eyebrow:

JBJ Nano 24G

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...t=0&start=0

Aquamedic Percula 90G

Custom 4ft SPS Tank

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51944

Juwel 2ft Tank

Red Sea Max

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a wonderful journey… transforming me from a “boring money making machine†into a passionate soul, a much happier person. Having said that, the hobby did brought along some miserable incidents… some of which I always manage to accept with a positive heart… all thanks to a few reefers (who have developed into close friendships) for their “lifting†effects.

010111.jpg

4ft SPS Tank 2 weeks before decommissioning (Nov 07)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Now let’s get back to business, shall we?

Judging from my past records of experimenting with multiple tanks within a short period of time, it’s only predictable for me to do something about my 4ft Office SPS tank. The tank has been running successfully for 1 year (since Nov 06) until I finally came to realize that I have been spending too much time and resources on the tank than I should.

Gadget after gadget after gadget… the electricity bill has been an instant reminder of how “unsustainable†my hobby has become. Prior to the decommissioning, my setup consumes around $200 of power per month. That $200 worth of carbon emission is an indication of how unsustainable my tank has become. That’s my crossing point really… and I decided to stop “sweeping the floor underneath the carpet†and face this Inconvenient Truth!

But the truth is… I can’t just abandon reefing (basically my only hobby besides other life necessities i.e. shopping, traveling, food appreciation, etc.). So I’ve decided to reduce its carbon footprint.

In the coming weeks I will be sharing with you guys the development of a sustainable reef tank (based on my personal interpretation). I will slowly elaborate more on the concept in a step-by-step record.

Stay tuned :)

Actually the restarting process would have be so much easier if I am to build a brand new tank... the cleaning part is quite a challenge especially in an office environment :( Days of scrubbing, the mess and the stench of dying coralline algae really put my colleagues to the test :pinch: I promise them not to do it too often :lol:

Curious what actually stopped me from getting a shinny brand new tank?

REUSE, REDUCE, RECYCLE :heh:

Here's a picture of my tank running freshwater for almost 2 weeks. Wrapped in total darkness!

010104.jpg

• SRC Member

wow wow!!! finally some updates, you went missing for quite some time already! welcome back man :lol:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

Thanks bro Law and Xersion... nice to know that there are still true audiences out there :D

Happy 2008 to all!!!

Woohooo! Another epic story in the making! ;)

Happy New Year, Jervis!

Thanks boss! 1 more hour to 2008 :eyebrow:

It's time to reveal one of my favourite features... artificial rocks from Golden Octopus :)

There are many reasons for choosing artificial rocks over live rocks... here's Top 3:

1) Totally eliminate the possibility of introducing pests and hitchikers into the tank... I've battled with mantis and crabs before and it ain't easy.

2) Easier to carry up to my office (4 storeys high via staircase) and without the stench from the curing process.

3) Avoid removing live rocks from the ocean... possibly a more sustainable alternative.

Of course there are disadvantages also... will discuss about that later.

Here are some of the rocks (around $500 worth) after soaking in DI water for 2 weeks.

010103.jpg

I've been using these artificial rocks in the past... so this is nothing new to me actually <_<

Here's the fun part :eyebrow:

010106.jpg

Consisting of 5 large pieces and 5 small pieces, I spent about 1 week "LEGOing" the rocks both outside and inside (dry) the tank. Tried numerous configurations and I must thank a few reefers for helping me decide on the final rockscape (via MSN Messenger)

:thanks:

• SRC Member

welcome back jervis.. it is always a joy to read ur thread... and gadgets review... looking forward to more insights from u

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

hi jarvis, that's what had happened to me more then 1.5 year back. spent too much time, resources and carbon emission on the tank... i also thought of decom but couldn't let go of all my fishes and passion for reefing. so, decided to sold all my corals and reduced much carbon emission. now, i keep my tank simple and less demand of time, resources and energy :P

i am "fitting" up things in my tank (much much hand free now) to prepare my next change of life in 2008 :lol: i predict that i wouldn't have much time for tank once my baby girl born to this world in jan 2008 ^_^

everything will be in "full" automatic beside feeding of fishes + water top-up. so far so good. everything went well and good.

hope to hear from your "new" set-up :)

age.png

Tried using different bonding agents... Superglue Gel is the best in terms of bonding power and handling (able to reach small crevices) but I might end up using dozens of tubes :pinch:

010102.jpg

So I went to Home-Fix (Great World City) and found this Aquarium Sealer (100% Silicone). It guarantees non-toxic to marine fish after 24 hours of curing... PERFECT!!! It's about $15.

010101.jpg

Bro Kelstorm: Thanks!

Bro Loster: Glad to hear that you've found your way in sustaining the hobby... as for me, I foresee a much busy work schedule with more traveling plans... just being practical I guess... it's painful to return from a business trip to find a disfunctioning/crashing tank :cry2:

• SRC Member

i applaud u for taking effort to reduce the carbon footprint.. and the use of artifical rocks.... to save the environment.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

The Silicone works very well! I love it!

010108.jpg

It can even cover a 5mm gap easily (between 2 pieces of rocks)... now that's something SuperGlue Gel can't achieve.

This afternoon, I placed the rocks into the tank (dry) and recreate the chosen design. Bond them together using silicone and SuperGlue Gel as the final touch. Will let the silicone cure for 48 hours.

Before I forget, here are some of the steps I've taken/will be taking since I'm using artificial rocks:

1) The rocks are dead (not alive), it will require much longer period to seed. I can foresee a longer cycling period.

2) The rocks have internal cavity to fill up with tank water, making it less steady than real rocks. Therefore all rocks must be properly bond.

3) There is no scientific report claiming the purity of these rocks, I am planning to run activated carbon, phosphate remover and polyfilter throughout the cycling process. I've washed and soaked the rocks using DI water.

I don't think this fake rock can act like real LR, since this fake LR is made from plaster and no porosity for bacteria to live in. This is the reason I dump more substrate to create deep sand bed to compensate this deficiency. I was using Aquaz epoxy to joint 3 pieces fake rock, super glue will create smear on the paint job due to degassing process during curing.

I also notice that if you have sally light food crab and bristle tang, they will grazing on the paint job thinking it was a real algae.

My Kole Tang (bristle tooth) did the most damage it keep pecking the fake LR until it botak.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

• SRC Member

First of all, Happy New Year to u my friend. Great to see u bounce back again with yet another exciting thread of the start of a brand new year. :upsidedown:

can't wait to see your updates and reveal of plan for the tank.:) So, waste no more time.. Roll the camera n posts more pics :pinch:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Drato & Iantoh: Yes I'm back... I will try to update every single detail :)

I don't think this fake rock can act like real LR, since this fake LR is made from plaster and no porosity for bacteria to live in. This is the reason I dump more substrate to create deep sand bed to compensate this deficiency. I was using Aquaz epoxy to joint 3 pieces fake rock, super glue will create smear on the paint job due to degassing process during curing.

I also notice that if you have sally light food crab and bristle tang, they will grazing on the paint job thinking it was a real algae.

My Kole Tang (bristle tooth) did the most damage it keep pecking the fake LR until it botak.

I believe the artificial rocks are made of fiberglass... the cavity within the rocks together with the fiberglass core will allow anaerobic bacteria to colonize due to low oxygen level... therefore I believe the artificial rocks will be able to perform although not as effective as live rocks. Having a DSB (or simply more substrate) will help definitely.

Your Kole could possibly peck on real algae, thin layer grown onto the artificial rocks (possibly not visible to our eyes, you can feel it with your fingers)... and it's a good thing that the paint work is non toxic to both fishes and inverts.

Just came back from LFS shopping...

010113.jpg

Bought a pair of DI Resin + Carbon for my DI Unit... ready to fill up with water tomorrow :) Also planning to change the overflow comb as the old one is full of dead coralline algae :pinch:

Oh yes... that white box... is my new toy :eyebrow:

I believe the artificial rocks are made of fiberglass... the cavity within the rocks together with the fiberglass core will allow anaerobic bacteria to colonize due to low oxygen level... therefore I believe the artificial rocks will be able to perform although not as effective as live rocks. Having a DSB (or simply more substrate) will help definitely.

Your Kole could possibly peck on real algae, thin layer grown onto the artificial rocks (possibly not visible to our eyes, you can feel it with your fingers)... and it's a good thing that the paint work is non toxic to both fishes and inverts.

Yes real algae also growing in the fake LR but when the bristle tang or crab grazing it will leave patch like in the photo. This white patch will turn brown or greenish over the time.

post-10642-1199175272_thumb.jpg

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10