Nano 2ft tank for Secondary School Student Recreation Centre, started

cdckjn

• SRC Member

just started a 2ft nano FOLWR tank for my secondary school Student Recreation Centre. Now currently the tank is in the workshop until the livestock is now settled before transferring downstairs to the Student's Rec-centre.

The bed is made of crushed coral chip which is used at my home 2.5ft tank's sump. I also transferred several of the liverock from there.

So started by getting the tank which I got from a fellow reefer for $15 - he gave me a light, the hang-on filter, the 2ft Nisso tank and as well as the IKEA TV rack. The tank is on placed higher on a used OHP trolley instead so that it is easier to move the tank around in case of holiday etc.

The TV rack will be used to put the a TV later in the Rec-centre.

Over that weekend, got a free clown and a star-sifter (with one leg broken) and put into the tank. (I know that I should wait for at least a week but I thought as I let it cycle for at least 3 days as these liverocks and the coral chips should do the trick.

I was happy that over the 1st weekend (19 to 20 Jan) everywhere was well and good. At first the clown was very nervous and shy. But soon after 2 days was feeding well.

Unfortunately by 28 Jan 2008, the star sifter shows signs of disintergrating and I had to remove it by 30 Jan 2008.

On the 31st Jan we went to T95 to buy one more clown and a redish damsel, a hermit crab and 2 rocks of mushrooms for $15.

So, so far, I had only spent $30 and another $20 for the salt and fish food at Pet Mart. Not bad for a SUPER-LOW budget tank for the students.

Now I will allow all livestock to stay a while for the weekend before adding perhaps a shrimp (either cleaner or boxer). (No stock at T95)

So now the full tank shot shows the aquascape with the various live rocks and dead corals skeletons, as well a right and left group of mushrooms.

post-5178-1201766869.jpg

post-5178-1201766880.jpg

post-5178-1201766887.jpg

post-5178-1201766897.jpg

post-5178-1201766917.jpg

post-5178-1201766923.jpg

• SRC Member

Wah so good ah.Which school???

girlone.png

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

T95 is off Jalan Kayu. do a search and you will find the location, else get someone to show you where it is.

Yes the trolley is a OHP trolley but I chose the all plastic ones so will not rust.

Yes it is reasonable "low cost" so as to prove that cheap does not mean impossible. But the way, the tank is still running. and instead of the 2 clownfishes and damsel, I gotten a foxface and a yellow damsel.

Also caught some crabs (flower-crab and rock-crabs) form the beach and a pistol shrimp, 1 brown goby also inside. The mushrooms from T95 don't look too good now, they are shrinking. But bonus is that in one of the rock came a free feather-duster.

Will post a Full-Tank-Shot later on monday.

• SRC Member

ha ha so far so good, been rolled up and down twice already using the lift - the tank is only a 2 ft. should be able to take the weight.

Oh, icic. Scared the plastic OHP cannot tak the weight.

:)

• SRC Member

5 pictues of the current tank for ypur enjoyment. The water is little yellow will try to do a 20% water change soon as the "Big Boss" (Minister) is coming to our school soon for opening.

post-5178-1209360475.jpg

post-5178-1209360489.jpg

post-5178-1209360498.jpg

post-5178-1209360504.jpg

post-5178-1209360510.jpg

• SRC Member

Any free fishes will be welcome, and woudl really apprecaite if you can sent it to that school or we can make arrangement to collect. Thanks.

ya, agree. the plastic ohp stand is not rigid. if u want a blue demsel, just let me know, i m giving it up, hehe

• SRC Member

the temperature is about 27-28 degrees. The actual student recreatioanl area is air-con when in operation during the afternoon, when in the morning the temperature should be up a little.

As the tank is a FOWLR, temperature is not really a BIG concern on my part. Will PM you my school address. Thanks.

• SRC Member

cool..any updates ? how's the water now ? did it clear up ? and getting crabs from beach is not advisable. it will affect your livestocks in the future when adding in small fishes and shrimps. try getting a mini fan to cool down the tank. not asking u to on 24/7 but maybe if can afford, u can add a timer to it. or else just control it manually.

so that at least u can some backup if the temperature suddenly rise up.