MbmC's 60G system

MbmC

• SRC Member

Decided I should move my nano thread over here...someone's suggestion too :D

My old thread

My old thread from when I was setting up my first tank. 40G without a sump. Gradually added more advanced equipment, a sump. And now just completed linking up my 2nd nano tank to the first setup. :unsure:

This is a schematic of my setup now...

AquariumSchematic.jpg

FTS 40G

DSC_0455.jpg

From this

DSC_0437.jpg

To this, FTS 20G

DSC_0451.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good. like the colours of ur SPS. can share how much/where u got them (PM?) coz i'm also planning to try some... just to 'test water'.

Very good idea of connecting both tanks to one sump. (i'm also having some strange thoughts of building 3 tanks connected to 1 sump.) haha...

The 40G tank seems to have a lot of new additions (compared to ur old ones)

just a little concern abt the 40G tank stand... not sure if it can hold the weight for prolong period of time.

Coz once it gives way, everything crumples...

ur CL650 supporting both tanks?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member
Cool... :yeah:

I used to have a 2 spot goby myself, but he didn't do very well and ended up perishing... :cry2:

What do you feed them with?

Helps that most of the inhabitants in the smaller tank feed on frozen. The seahorse take the floating food, the gobies, shrimp feed on the food that settles on the sand bed :D

All the fish in my main tank are feeding on pellets. Even the blue tang which refused to in the first instance :D

• SRC Member
looking good. like the colours of ur SPS. can share how much/where u got them (PM?) coz i'm also planning to try some... just to 'test water'.

Very good idea of connecting both tanks to one sump. (i'm also having some strange thoughts of building 3 tanks connected to 1 sump.) haha...

The 40G tank seems to have a lot of new additions (compared to ur old ones)

just a little concern abt the 40G tank stand... not sure if it can hold the weight for prolong period of time.

Coz once it gives way, everything crumples...

ur CL650 supporting both tanks?

My tank small, so not so much space for SPS. And I don't have much of a rock table to place the SPS on at the top level...Most of the SPS are frags from fellow reefers, some are from VanDeam. He's selling some good stuff cheaply now, so get in touch with him. I 'tested' water with a brown Digitata stick that VanDeam was gonna throw away first, and when it opened up nicely, and started to sprout 3 heads, I was encouraged :D It's now grown quite a bit, and has 3 heads of new growth now. The red monti is already growing, as is the brown stag with purple tips. The green mili is just about starting to grow. I only just added a few frags of acros, and the added the koralia nano in the foreground for more flow.

Problem is I don't wanna disturb the bottom half of the tank too much with flow, coz got softies, LPS and and RBTA. The RBTA already shifted position once when I directed the skimmer outflow at him without realising it :D

The 40G is quite packed already, can't really add much more to it. Just looking out for 1 more Squamosa to put in the fourth and final corner of the tank. The other three are already occupied but 1 each of Crocea, Maxima, and Squammy. :D And also collecting small frags of zoas, hoping that they'll multiple. Don't wanna have to stack up too many rocks liao.

I'm also concerned about the tank. At first it seemed like a good idea to DIY. But now I'm worried. Have been watching it carefully for any signs of rust and weakness. It's all holding up good at the moment.

Linking up the 2 tanks to the single sump took more effort than I expected, but it was worth it. The CL-650 is currently supporting both, and temperatures at both sides are consistent. Don't find that my chiller is working extra-hard to keep up with the increased volume

• SRC Member
Bro, is there any side effect with using black sand? What material is it?

Live Aragonite Black Bench Reef Sand. Sounds to me like natural black sand. Not supposed to have a high silicate content. So far so good, no problems with it.

I suggest reading an article on www.seahorse.org. Someone there did a review on this product, and the experience is exactly what I had. I didn't experience an ANN cycle in cycling any of my tanks. My first fish put in on D3 of the 40G (Silverstreak Anthia) is still alive and growing fat. The water was instantly cycled. Live sand and Live rocks are good... :eyebrow:

Live Aragonite Black Bench Reef Sand. Sounds to me like natural black sand. Not supposed to have a high silicate content. So far so good, no problems with it.

I suggest reading an article on www.seahorse.org. Someone there did a review on this product, and the experience is exactly what I had. I didn't experience an ANN cycle in cycling any of my tanks. My first fish put in on D3 of the 40G (Silverstreak Anthia) is still alive and growing fat. The water was instantly cycled. Live sand and Live rocks are good... :eyebrow:

Where you bought it...

Live Sand ah... Will be super ex ler..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
Where you bought it...

Live Sand ah... Will be super ex ler..

Natures Ocean.. Petmart and Aquamarine sells them.. slightly less than a blue note for 1 packet (9kg).. :) it comes in normal brown white colour too..

• SRC Member
Natures Ocean.. Petmart and Aquamarine sells them.. slightly less than a blue note for 1 packet (9kg).. :) it comes in normal brown white colour too..

Petmart more than slightly less than 1 blue note for 1 packet :D Don't say I said this.

• SRC Member
nice tanks bro. hahaha i can see a familiar looking suns there! :)

Thanks man. Thanks to all your advice and time :D

And of course for your suns. They're looking happy where they are right now :D, I must say you've trained them quite well :thanks:

• SRC Member

The SHs are worrying me man...one just up lorry :( Not eating at all. All the 4 SH from reefers, and the SH were all feeding on frozen before I got them. Must have been too stressed changing tank.

Only one eating well, 2 others are picking only. The one who didn't make it didn't even bother with the food...Hope the rest make it...

On a positive note, the one who is eating well is turning red! ;)

• SRC Member
The SHs are worrying me man...one just up lorry :( Not eating at all. All the 4 SH from reefers, and the SH were all feeding on frozen before I got them. Must have been too stressed changing tank.

Only one eating well, 2 others are picking only. The one who didn't make it didn't even bother with the food...Hope the rest make it...

On a positive note, the one who is eating well is turning red! ;)

Hmm sad to hear that one just up the lorry. Dont worry bro, I am sure the rest will turn out fine! :)

• SRC Member

Another mishap...2 spot goby MIA...the smaller of the two.

They looked happy and both were feeding happily on the sand bed. It's always been said these gobies are hard to care for, but I thought I'd try...shucks... :cry2:

• SRC Member
Another mishap...2 spot goby MIA...the smaller of the two.

They looked happy and both were feeding happily on the sand bed. It's always been said these gobies are hard to care for, but I thought I'd try...shucks... :cry2:

take it easy bro, i also suffered tragic casualty during my upgrading project.. haha..

how's ur RBTA doing? im thinking of getting one, but i dare not take the risk.. :)