All dead

Dinosaur

Dino, you had the protective guard on your powerhead and it still got killed by it? Man, that must have been one very powerful pump!

I don't really know what to say.

Was yours a black donkey dung or those colourful filter feeder types? Why would it have gone up the rocks?

My black donkey dung and tigertail cukes are happy on the sandbed... maybe I have a large surface area and they have plenty to eat? But it still makes me wary cause my Tunze streams may do the same to cukes... although... hmmm... they may not even enter the stream in the first place coz I have never seen them climb rocks or glass!

I hope you are doing a massive water change now with lots of carbon and polyfilter.

You really have my sincerest consolations. :(

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Dino, you had the protective guard on your powerhead and it still got killed by it? Man, that must have been one very powerful pump!

I don't really know what to say.

Was yours a black donkey dung or those colourful filter feeder types? Why would it have gone up the rocks?

My black donkey dung and tigertail cukes are happy on the sandbed... maybe I have a large surface area and they have plenty to eat? But it still makes me wary cause my Tunze streams may do the same to cukes... although... hmmm... they may not even enter the stream in the first place coz I have never seen them climb rocks or glass!

I hope you are doing a massive water change now with lots of carbon and polyfilter.

You really have my sincerest consolations. :(

Beats me, <_<

Nope! I won't consider mine a powerful powerhead, its just a normal Resun 3000 (Those commonly sell in fish shop, black color one).

My cuke was a pink color one, it seldom stays on the sandbed but like to moves between rocks ....... :pinch:

:cry::cry: .. now the entire tank turns milky

Water change, cardon, poly filter all deployed already

What should I do next ??? :cry2:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Beats me, <_<

Nope! I won't consider mine a powerful powerhead, its just a normal Resun 3000 (Those commonly sell in fish shop, black color one).

My cuke was a pink color one, it seldom stays on the sandbed but like to moves between rocks ....... :pinch:

:cry::cry: .. now the entire tank turns milky

Water change, cardon, poly filter all deployed already

What should I do next ??? :cry2:

I would still suggest to change water after your first water change.....maybe every 2-3 days, then change the cabon and polyfilter.

I think you can 'borrow' a super skimer to skim too. The PS will help to remove the 'toxic', right

btw, is there any indicators to measure?

maybe NH4 and NO2 will be high in this period?

Well... well..... did you not know that the safest cukes are the donkey dungs and tigertails?

Getting the colourful ones is asking for trouble. In nature, anything that is usually colourful indicates trouble, meaning toxic, poisonous, vile-tasting etc etc. Nudibranchs, BR Octopi, sea cukes, monarch butterflies are just some examples.

The pink seacuke may be small but take a hint from its colour. Also the pink seacukes sold in LFS are FILTER FEEDERS! That is why its never found on the sandbed sifting sand but on top of rocks and glass walls (trying to catch as much plankton and microscopic food as possible!)

Do the water change until the water is clear.

Hopefully the toxins would have been removed/diluted greatly by now.

So sorry that this has to happen to you. I always tell people not to buy colourful nudibranchs or sea cukes... coz this is what may happen.... :(

• SRC Member

I feel your pain on your losses; mine also crashed a few months ago due to a shredded sea cucumber. All my tangs, cardinals, and one out of three clownfishes passed away in that incident. Only shrimps and sea fans seem to be unaffected.

If you can wait a bit to repopulate your tank with fishes, just run your tank as per normal and let it "fallow" for at least 2 weeks. The toxins are usually protein-based so eventually it will get broken down by bacterial and can be skimmed off. I hastened the process with a small amount of PolyFilter and added a slightly large dose of those Beneficial Bacterial in a bottle.

The totally black sea cucumber is usually the safest (ML carries them from time to time). They do climb the tank wall, so make sure to cover all water intakes with foam or sponge; unlike mesh netting, foam or sponge is thick enough to prevent flesh of fish or invertebrates from ###### into the intake - nets don't have this luxury. Of course, you have to wash the foam/sponge with saltwater ocassionally to prevent clogging.

Hmm..currently my weipro is hanging on my tank..havent built my sump yet...the powerhead placed on the sandbed...1200l/hr...i never cover the intake...somehow the suction at the intake very weak..dunno why..maybe the 'basket' around the intake is big? My black sea cuke has crawled over it numerous times..never got sucked in..super cuke? :evil:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Pardon my ignorance! How does a nudibranch and cuke looks like? Would any body be kind enough to provide a link or a pic? ;)

Thanks....still L plate and will try to avoid....those dead fishes are very expensive :( Purple Tang alone cost $50 + right!!

Anyway, my sincere condole :cry2: nce...