OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

Male Anampses chrysocephalus in Hawaii.

These are called the psychadelic wrasses or psych-head wrasse because of the colour heads the males have.

Females are black with numerous white spots all over the body and head and have a red tail.

They are very bad shippers and do not feed or adapt well. Males are very very difficult to keep and very very rarely appear in the trade.

post-15755-081556900 1292784989_thumb.jp

post-15755-044814600 1292784994_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

This is Paracheilinus angulatus X Paracheilinus lineopunctatus.

A super gorgeous hybrid of the angulated or royal flasher wrasse with the line spot flasher wrasse.

This hybrid only occurs in parts of the Philippines where both parent species overlap, like in Anilao. I really want to see this beautiful fish in our LFS but chances are slim.

The angulated flasher wrasse is only brought in by CF and Iwarna.

The line spot flasher wrasse is only brought in by Henry and Ah Beng.

the 2 fishes never appear in the same shipment in the same LFS, suggesting that they are collected in different parts of Philippines and this means that no hybrids will come.

I still hope to stumble upon it by sheer chance one day..

Note*

The last photo shows Paracheilinus bellae. It is a very very rare flasher wrasse from the waters of Marshall Islands and Palau. Don't you think the angulatus x lineopunctatus hybrid resemble very closely in terms of body patterns to the bell's flasher wrasse??

amazing!

post-15755-043300400 1292785221_thumb.jp

post-15755-033436700 1292785226_thumb.jp

post-15755-085259700 1292785230_thumb.jp

post-15755-045745500 1292785236_thumb.jp

post-15755-034826800 1292785244_thumb.jp

Chaetodon tinkeri in the wild.

absolutely beautiful. for some reason, almost all wild pictures of tinker's butterflyfish will show the yellow longnosed butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) nearby.

They share the same niche and probably like hunting the same types of food.

Love the tinkeri, esp a wild pair!

• Senior Reefer

Love the tinkeri, esp a wild pair!

so nice and fat! i love tinkeri also!

Argh! I want the Hotumantua! Sad that the collection did not came true

hotumatua nowadays so unobtainable!

i want my smithi butterfly!

Pseudanthias Leucozonus in Japan selling at 69800yen approximately S$1000.

And here in singapore our LFS sell at $50 and no one wan to buy and in the end the fish died!

post-10328-091351300 1292856341_thumb.jp

I really cannot stand it... Sigh... Irene had to push the fish and not a single person is interested...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Now with this awareness i think ppl will now buy this fish. Before we rush into this, is this fish easy or moderate to take care of? Does it feed readily on frozen?

Now with this awareness i think ppl will now buy this fish. Before we rush into this, is this fish easy or moderate to take care of? Does it feed readily on frozen?

A big anthias, normally around 4 inches. Moderate care level, feed on mysis and cyclopeeze with no problem. However fish can suffer from decompression problem due to bad collection method from Bali supplier, so watch out for buoyancy problem. Otherwise, not a difficult anthias.

• Senior Reefer

problem with local reefers is such terrible exposure to rare fishes.

even with this hybrid thread, no one is making themselves aware of uncommon and rare yet beautiful fishes. the thread sits here collecting dust.

we are very lucky to be close to the indo pacific and we're getting tons of super rare fish at very cheap prics. like burgess butterflies for $50, leucozonas anthias for $25, naoko fairy wrasse for $50, and the list goes on and on!

but each time these rare beauties come, no one knows what it is and no one bother to know. so the fishes always end up going unoticed and dying.

yet many people complain why we have a lousy fish market here. its because low awareness = low demand = low supply.

in terms of the advancement in this hobby, we have tons of catching up to do with thailand, japan, hong kong, USA, and most other countries where people take time to research and get to know their stuff and understand the market.

so i really hope one day this hybrid thread serves some use to the people in this forum, and help gain better awareness. and not just accumulate hundreds of pages worth of post from digiman, me and terryz.

my most precious and most beloved fish that i have shown so much love to just died today for reasons i don't even know of. my marginalis butterfly.

i'm devastated. not because it's a rare fish. it's a common fish. but we don't get it here. because our demand for fish is so pathetic that enthusiastic reefers like me have to work so so hard to obtain supposedly common fish like the marginalis butterfly.

the whole reason for this hybrid thread is for public awareness and hopefully drive the market a little bit better. so that singapore will see more uncommon fishes one day and be in the same league as our neihbouring asian countries!

it's a dream i hope to accomplish and i will accomplish it one day.

we try by creating ID- games, but only 3-4 people out of the hundreds of members actually participate. it's baby steps though and it's better than nothing.

we create this thread for awareness and i've posted countless of threads on awareness of common unpopular fish, hoping it will stir some excitement.

but i guess many people are still uninterested and care more about corals than fish.

Thank you guys for creating awarness and starting this thread, i guess we reefers in Singapore are not exposed to the vast information on rare and hybrid fishes. Not many online and books that show or highlight rare and hybrid fishes.

So i guess fellow reefers here are happy or should i say contented to just keep common and resonably priced fishes and not spend thousands on a rare fish unlike the ppl in japan, us...etc

This is a good thread and it really open my eyes on the number of hybrids and fishes that we some how miss out. Do keep this thread running i love it.

• SRC Member

And here in singapore our LFS sell at $50 and no one wan to buy and in the end the fish died!

wow thats really sad :angry:

waste of a nice fish and a golden opportunity for reefers who are genuinely interested

ups for a good thread! i feel that it should be pinned in the event it dies down in the future at least it won't be lost

• SRC Member

even with this hybrid thread, no one is making themselves aware of uncommon and rare yet beautiful fishes. the thread sits here collecting dust.

we are very lucky to be close to the indo pacific and we're getting tons of super rare fish at very cheap prics. like burgess butterflies for $50, leucozonas anthias for $25, naoko fairy wrasse for $50, and the list goes on and on!

but each time these rare beauties come, no one knows what it is and no one bother to know. so the fishes always end up going unoticed and dying.

yet many people complain why we have a lousy fish market here. its because low awareness = low demand = low supply.

in terms of the advancement in this hobby, we have tons of catching up to do with thailand, japan, hong kong, USA, and most other countries where people take time to research and get to know their stuff and understand the market.

so i really hope one day this hybrid thread serves some use to the people in this forum, and help gain better awareness. and not just accumulate hundreds of pages worth of post from digiman, me and terryz.

my most precious and most beloved fish that i have shown so much love to just died today for reasons i don't even know of. my marginalis butterfly.

i'm devastated. not because it's a rare fish. it's a common fish. but we don't get it here. because our demand for fish is so pathetic that enthusiastic reefers like me have to work so so hard to obtain supposedly common fish like the marginalis butterfly.

the whole reason for this hybrid thread is for public awareness and hopefully drive the market a little bit better. so that singapore will see more uncommon fishes one day and be in the same league as our neihbouring asian countries!

we try by creating ID- games, but only 3-4 people out of the hundreds of members actually participate. it's baby steps though and it's better than nothing.

we create this thread for awareness and i've posted countless of threads on awareness of common unpopular fish, hoping it will stir some excitement.

but i guess many people are still uninterested and care more about corals than fish.

Relax bro, I do read and always look forward to what you guys might post in this thread. Most of the fish species are new to me as I am a convert from the planted tank scene and has been a reefer since 4 years ago. But you got to understand that what excite you or you deemed as beautiful might not be to another person. Most reefer are not confrontational in the forum and might just skip reading parts of your reply when you compare a species to another and saying that this species doesn't take your attention or warrant your interest and such. We can see that you have a vast knowledge of fishes in this forum. But the main thing is that reefer has varying taste. Some keep to a strict stock list while others might replace a dead fish with a new one on a whim! Sometimes a fad is created in the hobby and most reefer might jump on the bandwagon to get what they want during that time. It might be fish or it might be corals at that point of time. But you got to realized that it takes time for someone to gain the knowledge and appreciate the beauty of such fishes and am willing to spend to acquire them.

So my advice is for you to keep doing what you're doing and some day, some one might benefit from the knowledge in this thread. ;)

• SRC Member

keep it coming bro, and thanks for this thread. i myself am not much knowledgeable on these, and that's why i read through this thread for information. hehe i joined in the little game, and when you and digi posted the multiple fish games, yeah i got flooded, half i knew, the other was ??? ... but then, I ended up later buying a book on reef fish ID. cheating ? nah ... i would say more of 'exciting' my interest ... so yeah slowly it's helping, so keep it up ! cheers ! :welldone:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• Senior Reefer

I hope nobody takes it the wrong way. No body is angry here. I just feel it's such a waste that Singapore is actually a very fortunate country in terms of obtaining fish and coral. We're at the hub of indo pacific and we pay so little for fish.

We pay $50 for Naoko fairy, USA pay 200

We pay $25 for leucozonas anthers, they pay close to 4-500

We pay $8 for Cebu pylei wrasse, they pay 80

The list goes on. Almost all fishes we get are way cheaper.

I just feel it's waste coz no one Is taking advantage of this. And instead of fueling the hobby, the lack of interest is pshibg the market backwards.

Now even the rusty flame and pintail wrasse from Cebu Philippines is unobtainable. Nearby fish we can't get coz no one interested and all send overseas.

When I mention butterfly or angel to the mass piblic or even LFS, everyone panic and scream not reef safe! Eat coral!

That's very wrong and ive Pinned a thread about it explaining which ones are suitable.

We as a country still have alot to learn and it's not about wanting to buy rare fish. It's the appreciation and knowing. So the next tone a 25$ leucozonas anthias arrives, someone will know wat it is and at least update the LFS thread. And not let the poor fish die in the LFS where the LFS had to persuade ppl to buy something that the Americans will gladly pay 300 for

• Senior Reefer

But yes I agree we need time and im very happy that there are a small handful of very knowledgable people here that show so much interest like Iskay, veliferium, etc.

All is not lost. One day we will catch up to our other Asian countries