OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

Too big for captivity and not seen in trade before.. It is one of my want to get fish..

Yes, Evistias acutirostris are stunning fish. It's kept at the Waikiki Aquarium. Starved until someone got the idea to feed it brittlestars. Not sure if they ever managed to change this but they now have the species in their 4000 gallon Northwestern Hawaii exhibit together with masked anglefish and much more.

Anyone can id what Pygmy angelfish is this?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

very interesting fish and very unusual aberration. i would guess coral beauty aberrant.

don't know whether it was ever posted,but a very very rare butterflyfish(in hobby)..

Thanks for sharing! I hav not watched this vid before.

Indeed a very rare butterfly in the hobby but abundant in their natural habitat.

It shows the natural habitat of the falcifer butterfly and tells us this fish is not to be kept in a normal reef tank setup if it ever will become available.

Christmas Island Kole eye tang (white tail)

Nice!

Not a commonly seen fish. A more legitimate common name would be whitetail Bristletooth tang. It is neither a variant nor aberrant of the hawaii endemic kole tang. It is a completely different species of its own and its scientific name is Ctenochaetus flavicauda. C.flavicauda has quite a widespread range from west pacific all the way to redsea and africa but mainly comes from christmas and tahiti collections. C.strigosus (or your normal kole tang) is on the other hand found only in Hawaii.

Shown below is a C.flavicauda from Tahiti

post-10328-0-07420800-1362881116.jpg

Shown below is the commonly available C.strigosus from Hawaii

post-10328-0-87490400-1362881255.jpg

In case anyone is confused, there is also another rather similar whitetail tang known as Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus Tominiensis) from our indo-pacific region.

post-10328-0-61867100-1362881619.jpg

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

I was just casually browsing and spotted this clownfish. Anyone knows the ID?

This is a normal maroon clownfish.

Maroon clowns can show an "angry" color which will make its body slightly darker.

But in this pic the black is abnormally dark, so its most likely a photoshopped effect.

Is this consider rare ? Saw this coral beauty in a Philippines shipment today ...

Sorry for poor camera pic ... :P

This is not really rare.

It is one color form of coral beauty and occasionally found in our shipment.

Some said it is a deepwater form, but i dont think so.

But anyway this washed out color form is not very attractive and as such the price of this fish is usually the same as a normal coral beauty one.