OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

an amazing fish.

From Greenwich aquaria. It looks like a highly aberrated Pseudojuloides severnsi, but it was collected from Kenya where P. severnsi is not found. it is likely to be a new species.

Beautiful!! Has the scribbly face like Atavai!

• SRC Member

Hump head Wrasse at B-Box

post-15726-0-20722100-1375206052.jpg

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Welcome joe from old town aquarium! We are excited to have a knowledgable and passionate reefer join this thread. We have featured your fish both here and on reefbuilders before so its exciting to see you here!

The dottyback is unusual and yes it def is not a flammicauda. Different sp complex. I'm sure Dr Gill will get back soon with the ID. He has helped in the past with a few pseudochromis sp.

As for that oddball from Florida, i have no idea. Perhaps digiman or terry will know.

Dr Gill responded regarding the dottyback: "I am confident this is P. dilectus. The late Roger Lubbock mentioned similar variation in the original description of the species. He checked gonads of specimens showing different colour forms, but was unable to associate the colour patterns with sex of specimen. I've never been able to address this in my own studies, as the coloration differences aren't apparent in preserved museum specimens. In any case, I suspect that this species (like other pseudochromids) is most likely hermaphroditic. Although some studies have suggested that pseudochromids change sex, I feel it is more likely that they are able to allocate to one sex of the other (and adopt secondary characters such as coloration), depending on social or other cues."

The other fish is Stathmonotus hemphilii, a chaenopsid blennioid. One of my favorite families of fish.

Dr Gill responded regarding the dottyback: "I am confident this is P. dilectus. The late Roger Lubbock mentioned similar variation in the original description of the species. He checked gonads of specimens showing different colour forms, but was unable to associate the colour patterns with sex of specimen. I've never been able to address this in my own studies, as the coloration differences aren't apparent in preserved museum specimens. In any case, I suspect that this species (like other pseudochromids) is most likely hermaphroditic. Although some studies have suggested that pseudochromids change sex, I feel it is more likely that they are able to allocate to one sex of the other (and adopt secondary characters such as coloration), depending on social or other cues."

The other fish is Stathmonotus hemphilii, a chaenopsid blennioid. One of my favorite families of fish.

Thanks for sharing!

The Stathmonotus is a new genus for me. Prior to you mentioning this fish I din even know the existence of this genus.

After a bit of research on Stathmonotus i am now keen in owning one of this genus because they are actually the blenny family and not the less desirable eel family!

Thanks for your post and Stathmonotus shall now be a genus i look out and hunt for in future caribbean shipments!

• SRC Member

Wish I can own one baby bandit.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

an amazing fish.

From Greenwich aquaria. It looks like a highly aberrated Pseudojuloides severnsi, but it was collected from Kenya where P. severnsi is not found. it is likely to be a new species.

I did a little research into this specimen. The species descriptions for P. severnsi and erythrops can both be found online. I'm inclined to believe this is a specimen of P. erythrops that is transitioning into its terminal phase and has yet to fully develop the dark anterior coloration. You can see hints of it developing. This specimen also has the ventral pinkish reticulations of the holotype P. erythrops, as well as the whitish (as opposed to yellowish) ventral abdominal coloration. This would be an extension of the reported range of erythrops from Mauritius to neighboring Kenya. I've sent a photo of this fish to Dr Randall; we'll see what he has to say.

Description of P. erythrops. Description of P. severnsi (top link).

• Senior Reefer

I did a little research into this specimen. The species descriptions for P. severnsi and erythrops can both be found online. I'm inclined to believe this is a specimen of P. erythrops that is transitioning into its terminal phase and has yet to fully develop the dark anterior coloration. You can see hints of it developing. This specimen also has the ventral pinkish reticulations of the holotype P. erythrops, as well as the whitish (as opposed to yellowish) ventral abdominal coloration. This would be an extension of the reported range of erythrops from Mauritius to neighboring Kenya. I've sent a photo of this fish to Dr Randall; we'll see what he has to say.

Description of P. erythrops. Description of P. severnsi (top link).

Here's a better picture. Do let us know what dr randall says. I have never seen a live picture of erythrops before.

post-15755-0-94976100-1375314132.png

Here's a better picture. Do let us know what dr randall says. I have never seen a live picture of erythrops before.

From Dr Randall: "In my opinion, it is an undescribed species. Dr. Benjamin C. Victor is expecting to receive specimens and will describe the fish if new."

• Senior Reefer

some rarities from LADD.

Melichthys vidua x Melichthys indicus. Look at the fins! such a unique fish that looks so contemporary and edgy. i love it!

and a pair of Vanderhorstia nannai.

post-0-0-06183100-1375820259_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-64888200-1375820259.jpg