Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

• SRC Member

Wow, the first circular design! I totally forgot that you can use flexible conduit, since it's already split. Looks like you have most things figured out with the plumbing. And since the screen is one-sided, did you double the screen size? Although I guess you could put lights on the outside too. Also, did you rough-up the screen?

Only problem I see is the lighting. The red and blue colors were the right idea, but you were correct that the LED's are not powerful enough. Not even close. You MIGHT get some light brown slime growing after several weeks, but it will never grow any meaningful amount to do any filtering. But the fix is easy: Just replace the LEDs with two or three T5 Gro-Lux (pink) flourescent bulbs. You want to get about 100 watts of bulbs in there, so really, three or four 24W bulbs would be best. Just be sure to put them in a plastic tube like you are using now.

Wow, the first circular design! I totally forgot that you can use flexible conduit, since it's already split. Looks like you have most things figured out with the plumbing. And since the screen is one-sided, did you double the screen size? Although I guess you could put lights on the outside too. Also, did you rough-up the screen?

Only problem I see is the lighting. The red and blue colors were the right idea, but you were correct that the LED's are not powerful enough. Not even close. You MIGHT get some light brown slime growing after several weeks, but it will never grow any meaningful amount to do any filtering. But the fix is easy: Just replace the LEDs with two or three T5 Gro-Lux (pink) flourescent bulbs. You want to get about 100 watts of bulbs in there, so really, three or four 24W bulbs would be best. Just be sure to put them in a plastic tube like you are using now.

The screen size is pretty big - 620mm x 500mm, and it was sandpapered before use. As for the ideal light intensity, unfortunately my sump can't take too much heat due to its poor ventilation.

Hi all,

My own little algae scrubber project inspired by Santa Monica's pioneering work. Specs as follows:

- lit by 4 waterproof led strips (3xred, 1xblue) each consuming approximately 4 watts.

- mesh dimensions: 620mm x 500mm (WxH).

- easily detachable for maintenance.

- secondary outlet for water redirection during washing or maintenance.

- constructed entirely with off-the-shelf parts, e.g. pvc pipes, joints and valves, wire mesh, cable ties, s-hooks, flexible wire conduits, led strips(bought online). Most of these parts with the exception of the leds can be purchased at your nearest neighbourhood hardware store. The leds can be purchased from Sim Lim Tower if you don't mind paying a little more for them. Total cost less than S$100 with bulk attributed to led strips.

- entire overflow(~3000 l/hr) from display tank(3'x2'x2') passes gravitationally through this scrubber.

- leds are on 16 hours a day.

post-8930-1239936158.jpg

post-8930-1239936111.jpg

post-8930-1239936116.jpg

post-8930-1239936122.jpg

post-8930-1239936127.jpg

post-8930-1239936153.jpg

Not much algae as yet since this is only day 1. Not sure how well it will work but it sure looks pretty! Haha :rolleyes:

Possible issues to be considered:

- clogging at the slit by detritus and algae. But since regular maintenance (such as scraping the algae buildup and flushing the conduit) will be done, shouldn't be much of an issue.

- leds are not intense enough or are of ineffective spectrums.

All comments are welcome.

Nice work...looks cool :eyebrow: ... like the combination colour of the led.....anyway good and nice diy job.

Good of you to come up with something to use for ur diy scrubber....using flexible tube instead of

pvc pipe...never tot of that...thumbs up..and hope to c more update on ur crubber.

• SRC Member

Update: Pancaked screens

Since nobody is currently manufacturing a proper screen for a scrubber, we have to make the best of the materials we can get. Whatever material you use, it has been found that stacking two screens together works better than one. This is when you "pancake" two sheet of screen material together; they can be glued, sewn, or clamped together. This gives the algae much more to grab onto.

• SRC Member

Update: Empty Spots On Screen

Some people have small spots on the screen, about 1" (25mm) wide, that have no algae; these spots are scattered across the screen (not just near the bulb). These spots are where algae actually WAS growing, but the algae could not hold on, so it let go and went into the water. The reasons the algae could not hold on are:

1. The screen is too smooth (most common problem). No matter what material you use, you should use rough sandpaper to really mess up the surface. If the material is clear (like acrylic; not recommended), you should not be able to see through it at all. If the material is not clear, you should not be able to see a reflection, at all. If the material is a solid sheet, holes should be drilled every 1/4" (6mm)... instead of every inch like many people have tried. With solid sheets, instead of drilling holes, it's better to lay a layer of rug canvas, plasic canvas, shade cloth, or perforated drawer liner, across the surface. You would sand this also.

2. The screen is too thin. Screens should be about 1/4" (6mm) thick. This is thicker than most materials, so you should use two or three pancaked layers of material. This gives the "roots" of the algae more to grab onto.

3. The lights are not being turned off each night (18 hours ON, 6 hours OFF). So the algae grows, but then gets weak because it cannot rest. So it lets go.

4. The flow is too low (the opposite of what you would think). Higher flow delivers more nutrients to the algae (so it can grow strong), and also gives the algae more protection from the light (since the thickness of the water on the screen is more.)

5. The bulbs are actually TOO near, or TOO strong (this is very rare, however). It seems that bulbs that are 60 watt CFL (actual, not equivalent), AND which are 2 inches (5cm) from the screen or less, start to do this. If your flow is strong, then try decreasing the light by either (1) reducing the ON hours, (2) moving the light out to 4", or (3) getting smaller bulbs. But only try one technique at a time.

Just like to share that i just simply use a piece of plastic sheet (the white color one u can buy from Popular bookshop and quite rough) inclined at 30 degree to catch the return water to my sump. The piece of plastic is lighted by 2x8watt of Philips "tornado" energy saver bulb running 24x7.

The piece of plastic is just 46cm long and 40cm wide. Total water flow over it is about 2000L/hr.

My tank and sump volume is 400 L.

After 1months, green (both hairy and fern like) and red algae (matt) growing like crazy. Can harvest 1 fistfull every 3 days. I had even removed my phosphate reactor and skimmer.

Its been running 4months now and my phosphate is about 0.01ppm and nitrate is 0.

I still retain my plenum filtration in my sump tank as i was too lazy to remove it. Turbo snails breeding like crazy in sump and main tank. No copepod though... why?

Algae growth in main tank has reduce to almost zero...my poor tangs cannot graze anymore. i had to feed them the green algae harvest every 3 days. They love the green fren like algae.

Fantastic! Thanks SantaMonica.

Just like to share that i just simply use a piece of plastic sheet (the white color one u can buy from Popular bookshop and quite rough) inclined at 30 degree to catch the return water to my sump. The piece of plastic is lighted by 2x8watt of Philips "tornado" energy saver bulb running 24x7.

The piece of plastic is just 46cm long and 40cm wide. Total water flow over it is about 2000L/hr.

My tank and sump volume is 400 L.

After 1months, green (both hairy and fern like) and red algae (matt) growing like crazy. Can harvest 1 fistfull every 3 days. I had even removed my phosphate reactor and skimmer.

Its been running 4months now and my phosphate is about 0.01ppm and nitrate is 0.

I still retain my plenum filtration in my sump tank as i was too lazy to remove it. Turbo snails breeding like crazy in sump and main tank. No copepod though... why?

Algae growth in main tank has reduce to almost zero...my poor tangs cannot graze anymore. i had to feed them the green algae harvest every 3 days. They love the green fren like algae.

Fantastic! Thanks SantaMonica.

Hi bro,

Your scrubber seem to be working well...any pic of ur diy scrubber and the screen...

• SRC Member

Glad to hear the the success! Here are some improvements that will make it work even better, if you like... increase the bulb wattage; put a timer on the bulbs to rest them 6 hours each night; make sure you remove the screen and clean in your sink with FW, every 7 days.

The reason you don't see copepods is because they are only babies... less than 7 days old. You can see them in the water in your display (as long as you don't have any foam/floss)... they looks like white dust.

Hi bro,

Your scrubber seem to be working well...any pic of ur diy scrubber and the screen...

Hi Snaper,

Here are some photos of my DIY scrubber. I also DIY the lights so that the bulbs are only 1in above the scrubber and all the lights are contained/reflected onto the scrubber. The areas of the sump around the scrubber are covered in reflective aluminum sheets pasted on Styrofoam to contain the lights.

post-1457-1241115584.jpg

post-1457-1241115605.jpg

post-1457-1241115631.jpg

Hi Snaper,

Here are some photos of my DIY scrubber. I also DIY the lights so that the bulbs are only 1in above the scrubber and all the lights are contained/reflected onto the scrubber. The areas of the sump around the scrubber are covered in reflective aluminum sheets pasted on Styrofoam to contain the lights.

Thanks for the pic...ur screen seem to have lots of algae growing..thumbs up....by the way

ur light seem to be so close to to the screen...what is the the distance between ur light and screen?

what bulb are u using

• SRC Member

Update: Screen Sequence

Here is the typical sequence of algae on a new screen: First is a light brown coating, like a slime. After a week of that, you clean it lightly, and the next week you get a darker brown. After you clean that, you'll either get very dark brown/black stuff which stays very hard and thin, or you'll start getting some green hair. If it's the dark stuff, clean it right way (don't wait a week). After a few cleanings of this dark stuff, it too will start turning green. After a month or two, most of the growth will be green hair. If you start getting purple cyano on the screen, it means your light is too weak or too far away. If you start getting a hard yellowish plastic-like coating that covers the algae, it means your flow is too low in that area. If you start getting bald spots near your bulb, it means you are leaving your bulb on 24 hours, when you should be turning it off 6 hours a day. If you start getting round holes in your algae, it means pods are eating through it, because you are not using freshwater in your 7-day cleanings.

Update: Screen Sequence

Here is the typical sequence of algae on a new screen: First is a light brown coating, like a slime. After a week of that, you clean it lightly, and the next week you get a darker brown. After you clean that, you'll either get very dark brown/black stuff which stays very hard and thin, or you'll start getting some green hair. If it's the dark stuff, clean it right way (don't wait a week). After a few cleanings of this dark stuff, it too will start turning green. After a month or two, most of the growth will be green hair. If you start getting purple cyano on the screen, it means your light is too weak or too far away. If you start getting a hard yellowish plastic-like coating that covers the algae, it means your flow is too low in that area. If you start getting bald spots near your bulb, it means you are leaving your bulb on 24 hours, when you should be turning it off 6 hours a day. If you start getting round holes in your algae, it means pods are eating through it, because you are not using freshwater in your 7-day cleanings.

Hi SantaMonica,

Yep, I have been getting green hairs now. Sometimes i got "fern-like" green algae. The tangs love them. Sometimes the green hair will turn dark brown and soft...think its rotting.

Problem is the hair or fern algae is so tough when I pull them the whole lump just came off exposing bare plastic. I have been resorting to "trimming" the hair using scissor, which is very time consuming. Do you have this problem which harvesting your hair algae?

Thanks for the pic...ur screen seem to have lots of algae growing..thumbs up....by the way

ur light seem to be so close to to the screen...what is the the distance between ur light and screen?

what bulb are u using

Hi Snaper,

Yes, been getting lots of algae. In fact the picture is 1 day after i harvested. I put the bulb very close about 1 inch from the screen. The bulbs are protected by a transparent sheet of plastic (ie. plastic sheet for wrapping books) or else the water splashing will cause serious salt creep and deterioration of the bulb. I only need to gently wash the plastic sheet of salt every 2-3 days. I do algae harvesting every 3-4 days or twice a week or else the growth is too thick and turn brownish and soft/jelly-like.

I am using 2 pieces of Osram 8Watt "twister" bulb bought from NTUC. (not Philips as earlier mentioned). They are very bright and almost blinding. More info http://www.avelmak.sk/index.php?lm=748&amp...p;article=37318

Hope the info helps..Cheers!

Hi Snaper,

Yes, been getting lots of algae. In fact the picture is 1 day after i harvested. I put the bulb very close about 1 inch from the screen. The bulbs are protected by a transparent sheet of plastic (ie. plastic sheet for wrapping books) or else the water splashing will cause serious salt creep and deterioration of the bulb. I only need to gently wash the plastic sheet of salt every 2-3 days. I do algae harvesting every 3-4 days or twice a week or else the growth is too thick and turn brownish and soft/jelly-like.

I am using 2 pieces of Osram 8Watt "twister" bulb bought from NTUC. (not Philips as earlier mentioned). They are very bright and almost blinding. More info http://www.avelmak.sk/index.php?lm=748&amp...p;article=37318

Hope the info helps..Cheers!

Thanks bro....

• SRC Member

Cleaning a new screen will usually get down to the plastic. But if you sanded/roughed it up enough, the 2nd and 3rd cleanings will leave more behind. just brush your fingers across the screen like this...

• SRC Member

Screen Recomendations

I've been doing research on the ultimate screen material. I want it to have all the best characteristics, so if you have some ideas as to what the material should do, or what it should have, let's hear it.

The latest algae harvest from the scrubber

post-669-1242276854.jpg

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016