What Happened? Massive Tank Die-off

• SRC Member

Monday morning at work, my wife SMS me to say that all my fishes all have died. The pumps and all electrical equipment was working fine. Only the marron clown is still alive.

When I return home at 5pm, I found 2 blue tang, 4 common clowns, 2 firefishes, 1 hawkfish and 2 chromis are all dead.

The cleaner shrimps, 3 starfishes, 2 cucumbers are still fine.

What I wish to know is taht what happened are why? Any one got any ideas? My tank is 2.5ft with a sump (same size), no chiller, running FL lights, Weipro 2014 Skimmer, FOWLR tank.

Monday morning at work, my wife SMS me to say that all my fishes all have died. The pumps and all electrical equipment was working fine. Only the marron clown is still alive.

When I return home at 5pm, I found 2 blue tang, 4 common clowns, 2 firefishes, 1 hawkfish and 2 chromis are all dead.

What I wish to know is taht what happened are why? Any one got any ideas? My tank is 2.5ft with a sump (same size), no chiller, running FL lights, Weipro 2014 Skimmer, FOWLR tank.

:cry: sad to hear that :( !

Check all the water parameter.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

I had the same problem too before... left with only 1 common clownfish. If it were to be water perimeters, I'm sure your shrimps will be first to go? Mine was a case of short circuit on one of my pumps, so you might wanna double check on your equipment again. It was still running when I was back to the office on monday, but the burnt smell gave it away.

• Sponsor

Hi Bro cdckjn,

Another possible cause for such swift and massive wipe out is poisoning.

Its very likely a case of nuking by a traumatised sea cucumber, probably got sucked into a pump or wavemaker.

In such case, check if any of your cuke have gone missing.

Also, look around the rockworks to see if there are shreaded remnants of the cuke.

Finally, look at the skimmer foam characteristics.

In such event, the foam will appear very crisp, light and dense, not the usual sticky foam.

Corals and inverts such as shrimps etc are unaffected by such poisoning.

Big water change, carbon treatment and wet skimming will be needed to dilute and pull out the toxin.

Also, does micro organism to expedite breaking down of the proteins.

HTH :)

SIGNATURE-Asta120SpirulinaGarlicReefMedi

Join us on Facebook! 

henry'sreefgourmet - your fish, corals and critters will love it!

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Tel : 6777 4047
Mobile : 9843 6032

Operating Hours:
Mondays : 3pm - 8pm
Tues - Sat : 12.30pm - 8pm

Sundays : Closed

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

Hi Bro cdckjn,

Another possible cause for such swift and massive wipe out is poisoning.

Its very likely a case of nuking by a traumatised sea cucumber, probably got sucked into a pump or wavemaker.

In such case, check if any of your cuke have gone missing.

Also, look around the rockworks to see if there are shreaded remnants of the cuke.

Finally, look at the skimmer foam characteristics.

In such event, the foam will appear very crisp, light and dense, not the usual sticky foam.

Big water change, carbon treatment and wet skimming will be needed to dilute and pull out the toxin.

Also, does micro organism to expedite breaking down of the proteins.

HTH :)

hi henry, i had a similar problem previously. am always afraid it might happen again. can prodibio help?

• Sponsor
hi henry, i had a similar problem previously. am always afraid it might happen again. can prodibio help?

Hi Bro reefcrazy,

to prevent recurrence, avoid sea cucumber. Its always a risk when these wonderful helper got itself caught by pump devices.

Not their fault but really a pity for the lost of the hardworking cucumber and valuable livestocks.

Alternatively, use sand dollars which are safe and also does a great job :)

Prodibio probiotics can and will certainly help in such event to breakdown the toxins which are primarily proteins.

I would recommend a double dose for each of the fortnightly schedule.

happy reefing <:)))<

Join us on Facebook! 

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Operating Hours:

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

• SRC Member

Aiyo mine now also like that. Mine is NO3 problem shot up to 20ppm...

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

I think it is the cowry shell - does it gives off toxins when it is dying? So far the snail's body is slowing decreasign in size. I guess it must be this or the sea cucumber got sucked into the pump. What ever the case, I am just going to recycle the tank, perhaps do a water change then restart again slowly to add livestock. Sad case because my two blue tang grew from baby size to 5".

Any suggestion of interesting other fishes? Was think of lionfish - cheap but feeding will be a problem - live bait. if not will go back to common clowns and blue tang.

• SRC Member

Oops... all the while I thought shrimps are more sensitive to water perimeter changes...? Or at least I could see immediate reactions from them if perimeters are off. I'm confused...

Sounds evil, but I always thought blue damsels are great color indicators if things go wrong... they turn black. :upsidedown:

• Sponsor
Oops... all the while I thought shrimps are more sensitive to water perimeter changes...? Or at least I could see immediate reactions from them if perimeters are off. I'm confused...

Sounds evil, but I always thought blue damsels are great color indicators if things go wrong... they turn black. :upsidedown:

Toxin from cucumber affect livestock through blood poisoning.

Inverts & corals do not have haemoglobin hence not affected.

Have personally encountered a couple of such incidents and the results are consistent.

However, if the die-off are left unchecked leading to water fouling, then everything will get wiped out :)

Join us on Facebook! 

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Operating Hours:

• SRC Member
I think it is the cowry shell - does it gives off toxins when it is dying? So far the snail's body is slowing decreasign in size. I guess it must be this or the sea cucumber got sucked into the pump. What ever the case, I am just going to recycle the tank, perhaps do a water change then restart again slowly to add livestock. Sad case because my two blue tang grew from baby size to 5".

Any suggestion of interesting other fishes? Was think of lionfish - cheap but feeding will be a problem - live bait. if not will go back to common clowns and blue tang.

Based on Henry's comments, looks like the culprit is the cucumber. Me will sure steer clear of cucumber.

Sorry to hear that bro cdckjn. It's heartpaining to see lifestock dying. l had those experiences of beloved fishes wiped out before. They are still lives afterall.

For lionfish, buy those dried krill/shrimp trained ones. l had one before, bought from sealife. Feeding on dried krill only, occasionally then i feed them with market prawns, white baits and fish meat. Avoid those that only take live baits...siong for your pockets and personally i think quite cruel to feed damsels/clownfishes alive to the lionfish also. Like harlequin shrimps eating live sea stars.

• SRC Member
Toxin from cucumber affect livestock through blood poisoning.

Inverts & corals do not have haemoglobin hence not affected.

Have personally encountered a couple of such incidents and the results are consistent.

However, if the die-off are left unchecked leading to water fouling, then everything will get wiped out :)

Thanks for the clarification! ^_^

i have the same problem a few times in last two year. one or two fishes left, but invertebrate like shrimp and cucumber survive.

my clearner shrimp live in my tank for almost three years even most of the fishes just average one or two month in my tank.

the problem gone automatically after i change my whole filter system. (new filter look not much difference)

my NO3 test with the old filter normally stay at 20, but i get a 0 result after a new filter.

• SRC Member
Aiyo mine now also like that. Mine is NO3 problem shot up to 20ppm...

Actually NO3 is nothing with that.Cause all the infos i read at leats 2 and below is suitable for reef.Fish higher also can but not too high till more than 40.I can keep corals at NO3 20.Why not you.Check your phosphate levels cause phosphates aka PO4 is usually culprit for corals to die in those awfully high nutrient tanks.Mine is 0.03 for phosphate but the nitrate is awfully staying at 10-20.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

As I keep a fish-only tank, I do not feel that >20 NO3 will cause massive die off. I once own a tankset with the NO3 is constantly at 50-80+. Fishes doing well.

A bacteria boom could cause a massive die off though. If i remember correctly, bacteria take in a large amount of oxygen thus there is a danger of de-oxygenation in the tank.

If anyone want to try, add 1 cup of sugar in to ya tank. :P :P

Joking.

• SRC Member

Hey try keeping a tank with clown fishes, small gobies such as blue/yellow neons, eviotas etc and with corals.

Shd be quite nice and easy to maintain as all contribute very small waste. Maybe need to keep a small peaceful tang to keep algae in chk that's all :rolleyes:

Lionfish is also toxic if get poked by the spines? Best I stay with clownfishes.

• 5 weeks later...

Fishes won't cause such drastic and massive suicide. Water condition won't change fast enough for fishes to die altogether. Even if water condition is not correct, u should see fishes dying one by one instead of all died together. Sea cucumber is the main possibility of the cause. It will release a toxic foam when in danger or sucked by pump. This toxic foam is poisonous enough to kill off your fishes almost instant. I got it once 2 years ago. I did a 100% water change and filtrations needed to be cleaned and changed. Coral and shrimps won't be affected, at least it didn't affect those in my tank 2 years ago when such case happened .