2' cube tank design

freewill

Hi guys... i need some comments of this cube tank design...

do let me know your views (do advice if this is workable)... Or does it need more re-adjustments.

Main Tank:

2'x2'x2', 10mm glass

sump:

2'x1'x1.5'(H), 6mm glass

I will be using 2 pumps (approx 3500l/h ea) from the sump to pump water back up.

Qn1: will this design eliminate the need for powerhead in the tank?

Qn2: what is the recommended pipe diameter? (for overflow and return pipes...)

Qn3: Ive done 2 versions of this cube tank design... do advice which is more practical...

(im positioning this tank in my room where there will be 3 viewable sides.)

post-9-1070011571.gif

• SRC Member

wow 2 powerheads at that rate is too powerful. i est you need max 1 powerhead with around 2500l/hr. i stand to be corrected though...

i dont think you need a square to make the overflow. why not use a big pipe (35-40 mm) to drain the water from middle back of tank and return from left and right side of tank through a smaller pipe?

Eh, i meant to have 2 pumps in the sump, not 2 powerheads within the tank.

I forgot to mention that my stand height is approx 2.5'++, so, plus the 2' tank height, the pump has to push abt 4.5' - 5'(approx. 1.5m) up for the water to be pumped up.

sorry, you mentioned something abt

i dont think you need a square to make the overflow.  why not use a big pipe (35-40 mm) to drain the water from middle back of tank and return from left and right side of tank through a smaller pipe?

Im not sure what you meant by a square to make the overflow?

the drainage hole is bigger than the return pipes. (drawing not exactly to scale.. :P

Est. drainage hole: 35mm (i was told by the tank maker, this diameter is sort of a standard???)

Return pipe: 1"

• SRC Member

I have the same idea as you.

2 powerhead is a gd idea as if one happen to fail u still got 1 going. Well just make sure 2 ph add up to be 2500 will do.

Lastly the pipe for the ph should be small or the size of the outflow of ph and the overflow must be of a much bigger pipe to allow more water to go down

• SRC Member

I was speaking to freewill about the 2' cube as well...

What do you guys think about an external overflow box? Will it cost a lot more to make?

For me I'm thinking of a single return going at 5000l/h but split into 2 or 3 outputs... 1.5" input pipe, 2" drain

great to hear this... yah, maybe 7000l/h flow maybe a little too excessive...

can save the dough and get other stuff!

There's another fellow reefer, who is also planning to do a 2' cube, we maybe doing together(if the timing is good)... if you want, we can all look for the same tankmaker, better bargaining power!

Thanks...

:)

i find the last design better... remember its just a 2' cube, putting the overflow box in the middle will split the space of ur tank making it more cramp..

well, i guess having the OVF box on the LHS also makes it easier to 'cover up'... not to mention slightly easier piping work.

Like ervine, probably having an External Overflow box maybe good... however, my tank placement doesn't allow me to do it aestetically, thus have to give up the thoughts...

Ervine: i think it should not cost you alot more... guess an additional $30 should do the job. (this is my speculation, will confirm for you).

can you roughly tell me how big the External OVF box will be?

• SRC Member

Erm.. may i know what return pump will you all be using? 5000L and 7000L??? I am slao looking for 1

If you only have 1 overflow pipe for return, i suggest you limit you return pump flow rate. always have more overflow pipes than return pipes.

Else you may just flood you room :blink:

thank you

Can I suggest that instead of making a right angled overflow wall... how about you make it a 45 degree one, i mean so that the overflow box is no longer box shaped but triangle?

Or... perhaps section off the entire back wall for the over flow? (extend the one end).

I speak from a personal preference to not have any overflow box visible inside the tank as it automatically means you have to built a rock wall over it to hide it.

• SRC Member
Can I suggest that instead of making a right angled overflow wall... how about you make it a 45 degree one, i mean so that the overflow box is no longer box shaped but triangle?

Or... perhaps section off the entire back wall for the over flow? (extend the one end).

I speak from a personal preference to not have any overflow box visible inside the tank as it automatically means you have to built a rock wall over it to hide it.

yeah, thats the size of my tank.cept that i have an external overflow box. ;)

• SRC Member
dan wats the point of making a 2ft cube if u have the overflow at th back??

im saying this assuming that he is building a cabinet to house the 2ft cube tank. <_<

i have a cabinet too.i made it so that the back panel can be detached.so the pipes can run straight down to the sump without drill holes in the cabinet.

• SRC Member
dan wats the point of making a 2ft cube if u have the overflow at th back??

im saying this assuming that he is building a cabinet to house the 2ft cube tank. <_<

Huh? So that the tank won't look like it has a box inside it?

For me I'm not looking at cabinet... not too sure about freewill

Erm.. may i know what return pump will you all be using? 5000L and 7000L??? I am slao looking for 1

If you only have 1 overflow pipe for return, i suggest you limit you return pump flow rate. always have more overflow pipes than return pipes.

Else you may just flood you room :blink:

thank you

Hi, im planning to use 2x 3500l/h as return pumps.

not sure if this will work, my overflow pipe is 35mm big in diameter.

there are 2 return pipes of 1" ea.

not sure if will flood, but from the looks of it, shouldn't be lah... But i do agree with you the overflow diameter should be bigger than return.

thanks bro.

I guess over the night, i did some thoughts, maybe its good to do an external overflow box. It will remove the need to stack a high mountain of rocks... just to cover the internal overflow box.

however, im not sure how this can be achieve... i do understand that AT has an external overflow box...

are you able to advice/some closer pix, how i can affix the external box? (glass? acrylic? does it has to be glued? silicon to the main tank?

I also have some queries regarding the support on this box?

as the tank is sitting directly ontop of the stand, what happens to this box?

a little lost...

• SRC Member

I guess over the night, i did some thoughts, maybe its good to do an external overflow box. It will remove the need to stack a high mountain of rocks... just to cover the internal overflow box.

however, im not sure how this can be achieve... i do understand that AT has an external overflow box...

are you able to advice/some closer pix, how i can affix the external box? (glass? acrylic? does it has to be glued? silicon to the main tank?

I also have some queries regarding the support on this box?

as the tank is sitting directly ontop of the stand, what happens to this box?

a little lost...

I remember seeing the bosses tank shot, seems like it had a piece of plywood supporting it...

I too am weary of the external overflow... seems like a big risk to leave it cantilevering out without any support whatsoever...

• SRC Member

Hi, im planning to use 2x 3500l/h as return pumps.

not sure if this will work, my overflow pipe is 35mm big in diameter.

there are 2 return pipes of 1" ea.

not sure if will flood, but from the looks of it, shouldn't be lah... But i do agree with you the overflow diameter should be bigger than return.

thanks bro.

May i know which brand / model of return pump you using?

so can i say that you're suing 2 return pumps with 2 individual return paths? :unsure:

I was thinking along this line but the flow would reduce to abt 3300L +, was thinking of using 1 7000L pump... :o but is there any? :pirate:

can't wait for you tank ot be up and running. :P

is it possible to have a overflow at the back along the length of yr tank so tt you have more aquascaping space? :angel:

eh, the brand of pumps not determine yet.

yes you are right, im planning for 2 individual return pipes/pumps.

However, there's a fellow reefer was giving me another idea of "closed loop". so, its something worth considering..

(in a nutshell), this pump basically draws water from main tank and pumps it back directly without going thru the sump+filteration...etc etc... I.A.W, it acts as a powerhead which does not sit within the tank.

yes, its possible to have the overflow box at the entire back length of the tank. However, i just thot its quite a waste of the entire length, besides, the weight in this box maybe heavier, the support of the stand needs to be re-thought. (this design certainly gives good viewing scape.)

Honestly, its going to take awhile to build this tank up, the thrill about this hobby is in the "process"... hehe... then enjoy the end-product! (but then again... this WILL NEVER end...)