my new tank!

terryansimon

the thought of washing ten bags of sand was daunting! so I just dumped every damn thing in there and let whatever free floating particles be caught by the sump's filter media or to be scooped out manually by me. or my girlfriend.

please don't gun me down regarding the cloudy tank. it was already 11 plus when we started filling it with water. 11 plus at night. me and my friend were dead tired.

post-34-1070045101.jpg

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay things to do.

1) get filter bag with smaller holes for my carbon. stupid bag I got from petmart too big!

2) loc-lines. awaiting answer from my friend

3) pump for the skimmer. Rio 3100.

4) hose for skimmer.

5) liverocks. depending on financial situation of course. need to back out from Joe_Ps offer due to cost. =(

6) test kits for NO2/NO3/PO4

7) get full body massage from girlfriend.

please don't tell me off regarding putting sand in just like that without washing. like I said, me and my friend were shit tired already from a whole days work. can wash tomorrow yes, but I needed to check the intergrity of the pipes urgently. so yah.

• SRC Member

dude,

why so deep? you're gonna need strong lights

to penetrate that depth...

dn worry abt the murkiness....

its fresh water right?

just swirl the sand up every other hour while its running

and let your wool filter out everything,

mine took like 3 days before all the junk came out...

then chuck the water

you planning on rock stacking in an empty tank?

oh btw, nice setup ;)

dude,

why so deep? you're gonna need strong lights

to penetrate that depth...

dn worry abt the murkiness....

its fresh water right?

just swirl the sand up every other hour while its running

and let your wool filter out everything,

mine took like 3 days before all the junk came out...

then chuck the water

you planning on rock stacking in an empty tank?

oh btw, nice setup ;)

don't intend to keep any corals for the time being. say about a year. to allow for full maturity of the tank. from now till then it'll probably a FOWLR system, coupled with some hardy corals in about six months time.

all planned out. don't worry! (=

and urh yeah, I'll do stacking of liverocks without egg crates I think. 100kg worth. should be able to stack lah. if not then I'll go and take the eggcrate rock rack some reefer offered to me for free. :P

as for rock stacking, I intend to just siphon out about one two feet tank worth of water and do it. although I'll probably drown in the process.

its salt water by the way. coz I wanted to allow for full settling of the salt. and then I'll reduce the amount of water for rock stacking. gonna get my girlfriend to do that. hahaha. then can take it as a water change as well.

u shld have layed the rockwork down before the sandbed. unless u plan to use eggcrate. I'd put back that centre beam if i were u .

nah I don't. I'll just remove a portion of the water and then work with it. can take that as a water change and also a time for me to adjust the salinity level.

as for the beam. I tried putting it back. but it was 12midnight by then and any attempts to hammer the beam in *due to the addition weight strain* will probably be met with a policeman knocking on my door in about fifteen minutes time.

• SRC Member

The tank has finally arrived :lol: Great photos bro.. keep them coming :) Maybe I can get you to be the official photgrapher for me to chronicle my process when my tank comes in next month :lol:

Life is a Cruel Teacher. It punishes you first and then gives you the lesson

Nice tank and good description of process. No need to say, spent a fortune too, envy rich guy like you, hol.

I'm not rich. please, this has been in the pipelines since goodness knows when, just that I decided to make it into reality.

and after procuring all those stuff. now even more broke. damn!

• SRC Member
I charge you freelance rate lah. SG$50 per hour. this will cover equipment/makan/transport. :P

:lol: God mum won't allow you to charge me that kind of rate :lol: Back to topic, great tank. What lights are you intending to use?

Life is a Cruel Teacher. It punishes you first and then gives you the lesson

• SRC Member
after much consideration and decision making, I've finally decided to get a big marine tank to start of with. since my mother liked the idea of having her own little nemo swimming around. hmm.

here are some pictures of the tank that just arrived today. (=

Hi Terry,

Congratulation on your new tank.

• SRC Member

another hint to uncomplicate things if u HAVENT PUT WATER.

remember to cut the hole on the styrofoam below the main tank slightly bigger when u seal in the male/female thread.this is to give u a clearer view of the connections of the thread to the main tank from below.mine didnt cut so when i have leak its quite impossible to c from below as th foam is blocking it arrggghhh... ;)