Where to get CO2 cylinder

Achilles Tang

Hi everyone,

I need to upgrade my CO2 cylinder... still using my old JBL FW CO2 unit for my kalkreactor. Plan to use it instead for CO2 injection into my phyto cultures to increase density.

Anyway, I need to shop for a cheap and good CO2 cylinder. Possibly need to get a good needle valve/solenoid combo as I only need 10 bubbles a minute as my Korallin Kalkreactor uses aspirating-venturi for max efficiency.

I don't need too big a cylinder...maybe one that is about 50cm tall.

Any good lobangs or price ranges... pls shout!

Thanks!

AT

• SRC Member

Be careful when you buy CO2 cylinder. Recently bought 1 from PetMart and SOXAL did not accept the tank for refilling as it was a pretty old tank unless i get them to do a pressure test.

Look out for a 4 digit set of numbers like 08 12 (mean month and year) of manufacture. The one that i bought from PetMart was born on Aug 81 !!!

Refilling at SOXAL cost only S$6.50. Dirt cheap as compared to LFS.

• SRC Member

Ya, Soxal won't fill tanks that have no legible markings, especially the all green tanks from India. It's best to get a black body and silver top reconditioned tank from Japan.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

SOXAL pumps food-grade CO2 rite?

Ok... I'll go check out NA... but do they have the best prices around? I mean.. can I go to hardware workshops and get them even cheaper?

• SRC Member

Can you afford analytical grade carbon dioxide? :huh:

Ya. It's food grade.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

SOXAL pumps food-grade CO2 rite?

Ok... I'll go check out NA... but do they have the best prices around? I mean.. can I go to hardware workshops and get them even cheaper?

You have to ask for food-grade CO2, otherwise, it will be up to them to top it up - industrial or food grade. Know about this bec I have planted tank as well. Soxal also provide medical grade but it will be expensive.

NA is a good place but may not be the cheapest. However, with good service and advice on CO2, it is good place to buy. Soxal accept their tank for top up

You have to ask for food-grade CO2, otherwise, it will be up to them to top it up - industrial or food grade. Know about this bec I have planted tank as well. Soxal also provide medical grade but it will be expensive.

NA is a good place but may not be the cheapest. However, with good service and advice on CO2, it is good place to buy. Soxal accept their tank for top up

Speaking about topping up CO2, there is another place where you can top up the CO2 on the spot - cost S$15. Place - System Control opposite the white Sikh Temple at Serangoon Road. This shop sells Bio Plast products, regulator, lights etc but the owner also repairs aircon. Co2 quality - not sure but given the planted tanks that they have, and I have tried topping up the CO2 for my planted tank, the CO2 grade is OK.

SOXIAL is just behind my company (Kallang). For the very first time u go to them, u can get them to certify your co2 tank (but i think they charge something like $10) and the certification will last ~5yrs (if i remember correctly). And subsequently every topup is ~$8 (is it $6.50?)? And one good thing about getting them to topup for u is that they are using the industrial standard and it means that your tank after refilled is really really full (i think it is something like 800-1000psi).

Hi AT,

I bought my Japan made tank at Sin Ming from an industrial gas supplier. Its a steel body around 10 kg I estimated. $100 is the price I paid. The tank is still pumping gas to my reactor since JUly 2001 w/out refill yet.

I a also using Nupro (Swagelok) industrial precision metering valve ($100) and a plain oxygen regulator ($60) with dual gage and pressure regulator.

Don't refill your tank at LFS as they use another tank to refill it. It is just pressure equalisation and results in not having a filled tank.

The best is to go to the industrial gas supplier like SOXAl so that they can fill it up to the max.

Hi Robe... is that Sin Ming company still there?

And whereabouts did you get the needle valve and regulator?

I did ask my Dive Instructor uncle where I can get 03 cylinders and he didn't know.. wondering if I can use an scuba air tank to mod! ;)

• SRC Member

O3 is ozone. You sure you breathe ozone? Are you an alien? ;)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I really would recommend buying from Nature Aquarium. Since you live in Bishan, its only a stone's throw away. Reliable equipment, reasonable prices and you don't have to worry about Soxal top-ups. NA does top up immediate 1-for-1 tank exchange. $15 flat for all tank sizes.

Tank only $95 for 3.5 litres

Regulator (Manual w/ needle valve) $30

Regulator (Solenoid w/ needle valve) $120

I'm sure he gives a package rate. Just ASK. :D Chan is VERY friendly.

Hi AT,

I bought my tank and regulator from them. Industrial grade tank and oxygen regulator that will last for years. Tanks are DOT approved and pressure tested. Get the Japanese Co2 tank.

Union Sheng Welding Pte Ltd

Blk 28, Sin Ming Dr

#01-165

Singapore 575702

Phone : 64533711 Fax : 64594840

For the precision metering valve :

Amazon Int'l Pte Ltd

61, Kaki Bukit Ave 1

#05-39, Shun Li Ind Pk

Singapore 417943

Phone : 67436326 Fax : 6749245

The company I brought it from the last time have changed names and I cannot find it anymore. Used to be Singapore Valves and Fittings at Mandai Estate.