How to get rid of high nitrate

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
then how on earth are you gonna remove the de*nitrate or Matrix when its exhausted?

just put them into a filter bag and place them at where the water comes down from the overflow compartment.

Isn't it that even if it's exhausted, it will still act as a biological filter? I thought it is quite unlikely that it will get exhausted if well maintain!!! <_<

Juz a thought!!! :D

urh. luckily Seachem products don't leech back products into the water, if not you'll have a ticking time bomb.

imagine the amount of de*nitrate and matrix you're going to have to buy to make up a sand bed. don't be mad. just use normal sand. cheaper. better. aesthetically more pleasing.

• SRC Member

bro, careful with all your plugs and extention. the location you put is not so ideal.... the internal part of your bottom cabinet could be quite humid and sometimes water splashing or dripping due to whatever reason..... just my 2 cents. :):) if possible, try to keep all the plug and power extention out of the cabinet and far from the water sources.

• SRC Member

hi, i really need some help on the above mention qoate,.can any experts help me to explain all this, cse i willbe doing this weekend.

1. did i need to get a used sand or new sand from LSH? if new, did i need to cycle or just wash will do? what the grade that recomm to used for DSB.

new or used sand is ok . after washing u can dump it inside already. make sure u extend the pipe high enough for ur dsb and macroalgae

2. since i am setting the refugium at the overflow chamber, did i need to add DSB into the chamber. what the recomm depth for the DSB?

4-6 inch deeper better

3. did i nedd to remove all LS from the tank before adding the DSB? after placing the dsb did i need to run the water against b4 i place back the LS?

off the return pump then pour in the sand and all, after settling, start the flow again

4. after placing the microalgae, can i just used the MH light as lighting for the plant? light on at 8am, off at 7pm. (MH 150w de 20k), i also used another sets of dymax T5 blue. only on in the morning for an hour before my MH and on against at the evening for 1 hour after my MH off. work late, so to enjoy my coral b4 all go to rest.

u can use the main tank light since the overflow chamber is in the main tank, provided light get into the chamber

really thanks for all the help.

Btw my tank spec 3*2*2

overflow 8*6inch. (is that enough to convert into refugium)

u are using an overflow box? if u are using an overflow box might be too small i tot u were using those overflow chambers.

;)

Vincegoh,

I have similar design like yours. A DSB in main tank and a slump at the bottom.

I have wanted to convert to a refugium but the design of the slump was not meant for it.

In my present slump, I have a overflow with bio-balls, 1st compartment -corals chips, filter mats, bio-homes, 2nd compartment - LR, polyfilter, charcoal, denitrator, 3rd compartment, PS, UV lights plus pumps.

Anyway, I have added in Seachem Denitrator and another brand oglone (can't remember the spelling) and NO-3 does decrease a bit.

At the moment, it stay hovers between 5ppm - 10ppm.

However, the denitrator will cost more than water changes alone (salt + water + declorine), hence, I still do water change forthnightly at 10%.

Maybe we can discuss our system as we have similar type.

How much to get the seachem denitrator? Is it effective?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

I think the person who did my system is a Berlin system - Live Rocks with PS. It also comes with bio-homes and coral chips.

Attached is a word doc draft of my sump that I draw.

If I want to convert it to a DSB system, can this be done ?

Can I use the 2nd compartment for DSB ?

sump.doc

• SRC Member

I don't think you can use the 2nd compartment to house DSB as the flow of water is wrong. Unless you add in 2 pcs of glass to change the flow of water. The water flow need to be above the DSB, but for your case, you see that water is flowing into the DSB.

I have attached a pic of my sump, the 2nd compartment is DSB with macro algae, you will see that water is flowing over the DSB, hope this help.

post-6-1070439733.jpg

• SRC Member

Not sure whether is it becos of my LR, seachem denitrator or algone that do the trick! I got high nitrate level during initial setup, bcos I was transfering from 1 tank 2 another, didn't went through the nitrogen cycle at all! When I introduce denitrator, algone and more LR, the nitrate level came down after a week! ;)

• SRC Member
I don't think you can use the 2nd compartment to house DSB as the flow of water is wrong. Unless you add in 2 pcs of glass to change the flow of water. The water flow need to be above the DSB, but for your case, you see that water is flowing into the DSB.

I have attached a pic of my sump, the 2nd compartment is DSB with macro algae, you will see that water is flowing over the DSB, hope this help.

Thanks. Can you tell me what you put in the 1st compartment ? I saw filter wool at the top and the bottom ?

• SRC Member

ever heard of a kind of BB produced by Totto- PSB Bacteria which will remove ammonia, nitrite & nitrate...... PSB stands for Photosynthesis bacetra. Other than PSB bacteria, it contain genes nitrosomonas & nitrobacter bacteria...... which claimes to be a complete solution for bio filtration solution for tank, Anyone use it before?

Hi, allow me to addon on DSB / LR / Berlin System / Penum System & so called NNR. You may refer to this website www.wetwebmedia.com

by Robert Fenner. Personally, I felt that this is a gd website where plenty of information can be gained and also a better understanding on the chemistry on the cycle. :D

• 3 weeks later...