Countermeasure against melting Yuma

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi,

I have very poor success rate keeping yuma, from expensive one to cheap species. It just melt away in no time, though my other softies and LPS are doing pretty well. I have tried many options like, low light, slow current flow, proper acclimatization before introduction, iodide dosing .... but still melted somehow.

Would appreciate any ideas or success stories from fellow reefers here.

BTW, my water parameters are pH:8.2, kH:8, Ca:420, salinity:1.023,NO3:undetectable.

Thanks in advance.

• Senior Reefer

u cant keep yumas? for me, i cant keep zoas -.- actually, i have heard ppl telling me that my zoas dont do well because i got alot of powerful coral in my tank. i got bubble, torch, hammer, anchor corals, they can wage chemical warefare and all those weaker corals might suffer. i dunno how true is this.. ur water parameters look fine, maybe u wanna slowly raise ur salinity to 1.025? speaking of iodine...i better go buy some now..

Hi,

I have very poor success rate keeping yuma, from expensive one to cheap species. It just melt away in no time, though my other softies and LPS are doing pretty well. I have tried many options like, low light, slow current flow, proper acclimatization before introduction, iodide dosing .... but still melted somehow.

Would appreciate any ideas or success stories from fellow reefers here.

BTW, my water parameters are pH:8.2, kH:8, Ca:420, salinity:1.023,NO3:undetectable.

Thanks in advance.

yumas especially red hv unpredictable lifespan

even large aquariums cant hold them for long..in captive..

other colours generally seem to b doin better in captive..

• SRC Member

Thanks for the replies.

I thought yumas and mushrooms are like cousins, sigh. My mushrooms are doing very well, reproducing somemore.

Raising salinity ? hmmm, once i check the salinity of a LFS from which i bought the yuma, and it was showing 1.020. The yuma in their tank were blooming like nobody business and the tank was just illuminated by blue light, no even actinic.

Haiz ... more ideas please.

Thanks for the replies.

I thought yumas and mushrooms are like cousins, sigh. My mushrooms are doing very well, reproducing somemore.

Raising salinity ? hmmm, once i check the salinity of a LFS from which i bought the yuma, and it was showing 1.020. The yuma in their tank were blooming like nobody business and the tank was just illuminated by blue light, no even actinic.

it depend on colour n variation of yumas..

alot of species mahz..

• Moderators
Thanks for the replies.

Don't worry too much abt the salinity. 1.023 is perfectly fine. Raising the salinity may affect your current lifestock now since they are already used to it.

I had my fair share of melting yumas and rics. In fact, my yuma is directly under my 250W MH and it bloom like nobody business.

IMO, they are ok with highlight just that some will bleach due to sudden high light intensity. But if they don't melt away, the colour will recover back. ;)

Tom

• SRC Member

You are right, melting yuma cannot be saved.

What did you do previously to prevent melting ? Care to share your success story on melting prevention. Will try to get a cheap yuma this weekend for trial again.

thanks

Don't worry too much abt the salinity. 1.023 is perfectly fine. Raising the salinity may affect your current lifestock now since they are already used to it.

I had my fair share of melting yumas and rics. In fact, my yuma is directly under my 250W MH and it bloom like nobody business.

IMO, they are ok with highlight just that some will bleach due to sudden high light intensity. But if they don't melt away, the colour will recover back. ;)

• SRC Member

What did you do previously to prevent melting ? Care to share your success story on melting prevention. Will try to get a cheap yuma this weekend for trial again.

thanks

It this Yuma ?

I use to keep them at sand bed and not doing well... Since shifted up near to light.. seem much better... prefer light ?

post-14768-1234263614.jpg

• SRC Member
It this Yuma ?

I use to keep them at sand bed and not doing well... Since shifted up near to light.. seem much better... prefer light ?

I've read somewhere that the difference between yumas and rics f. is yumas have bubbles at their mouths but rics f. don't.

On the contrary, my yumas didn't like lights, so I've kept them on the tank bottom, but this may vary from case to case.

• Senior Reefer
I've read somewhere that the difference between yumas and rics f. is yumas have bubbles at their mouths but rics f. don't.

On the contrary, my yumas didn't like lights, so I've kept them on the tank bottom, but this may vary from case to case.

yes u are right. yumas differ from rics in that yumas have bubbles even on their mouth. whereas rics have no bubbles on and near the mouth :) yuma the bubble also look more sparse from what i notice. rics the bubbles very close and tight.

• Moderators

thanks

Not an expert lah.. Just my luck.

You can try putting your yuma in mid water with some pulse water flow from low to mid.

I find that when placed in a continous flow area, yuma or ric will crumble with the flow.

Hope this work for you!!!

Tom

• SRC Member
Yep, very swee .... AhLee could you share with us your tank specification, water parameter and also your maintenance routine ?

tks

Wah....very pressurize lah.. Me just started this hobby 6 months ago.. still struggle with keep up...

One thing for sure, I regret to use New Sea water.. now move to H2 Ocean Salt... thinking moving to Tropical Marine. any advice ?

Tank : 4"x2"x2" with Large Sump (3.5"x1.5"x1.5"), I believe in large volume

Skimmer : Delta AP600 24hrs

Rowa phos removal : 24hrs

4xT5 white and 2x actinic : On 2hrs actinic and 4 hrs white in the morning and 2hrs actinic and 6hrs white (GIESEMANN)

PH : 8.2 to 8.3

KH : 8 to 9

Calcium : 365 (too low)

Magnesium : 1300?

Others : Non detect

Anything else missing is critical, pls share your view pls.

Attached a old photo taken a few months back.. a few of the Coral RIP

post-14768-1234339777.jpg

• SRC Member
Wah....very pressurize lah.. Me just started this hobby 6 months ago.. still struggle with keep up...

One thing for sure, I regret to use New Sea water.. now move to H2 Ocean Salt... thinking moving to Tropical Marine. any advice ?

Tank : 4"x2"x2" with Large Sump (3.5"x1.5"x1.5"), I believe in large volume

Skimmer : Delta AP600 24hrs

Rowa phos removal : 24hrs

4xT5 white and 2x actinic : On 2hrs actinic and 4 hrs white in the morning and 2hrs actinic and 6hrs white (GIESEMANN)

PH : 8.2 to 8.3

KH : 8 to 9

Calcium : 365 (too low)

Magnesium : 1300?

Others : Non detect

Anything else missing is critical, pls share your view pls.

Attached a old photo taken a few months back.. a few of the Coral RIP

Once yr yuma start to melt..they will smell n rot and affect the rest of yr softies (can feed them to your LPS corals..haha)....i suggest you take it out and nurse it separately if you intend to save them. But if they eventually melt in yr tank, yr skimmer will skim out the waste.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

no pressure AhLee, in fact it's a pleasure to see your tank.

Your hungry looking pratas really make me drool. Want to know a couple more things ....

1. What is return pump flowrate ?

2. What supplement do you dose and frequency of dosing ?

3. What about your water change frequency and amount ?

4. Any wavemaker installed ?

5. What is the SG level ?

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

thanks in advance.

• SRC Member
no pressure AhLee, in fact it's a pleasure to see your tank.

Your hungry looking pratas really make me drool. Want to know a couple more things ....

To Bad RIP already... I guess the Sea water is the cause.

1. What is return pump flowrate ?

Ehim 1260?

2. What supplement do you dose and frequency of dosing ?

Arogama Milk, Iodine and Vit C... I think Arogama Milk is good product, look at my colarine algae..

3. What about your water change frequency and amount ?

I change 10% of water weekly without fail..

4. Any wavemaker installed ?

I have 2x 6055 and 1x nano Tunze running

5. What is the SG level ?

~1.023 to 1.025

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

thanks in advance.

post-14768-1234348140.jpg

• SRC Member

I dun think the T5 will be able to bleach them. Try feeding with chopped prawn meat ...

BTW, what is the Vit C you mention ? Where can I buy them ?

thanks

Thanks bro...

However, my Parta and cynarina bleached... in this tank.. Too much lighting ?

• 2 weeks later...
I dun think the T5 will be able to bleach them. Try feeding with chopped prawn meat ...

BTW, what is the Vit C you mention ? Where can I buy them ?

thanks

There is a bro selling some buffered vitamin C in forum, ordered from overseas.

Btw, what is your water temperature at? is it stable?

• SRC Member

My chiller at 27degC ...

One of my friends, thro his experience, said that hi calcium causes the melting phenomenon ... dun know how true is that ?

There is a bro selling some buffered vitamin C in forum, ordered from overseas.

Btw, what is your water temperature at? is it stable?