Pls help to ID this Worm

• SRC Member

This afternoon when moving Zoas, sudden felt a sharp Pain.. the moment I retract my hand, saw this worm hide underneath the rock..

The next moment I reliazed my 2 finger full of this white spike... very painful...

Any one can help to ID this guy.. seem like a bristle worm, it is about 2 feet long.. I guess... never seem to find the end... Should I remove it ? :cry:

post-14768-1234102593.jpg

post-14768-1234102650.jpg

• Senior Reefer

its a bristle worm. they are actually harmless. eat all those left over food. very good for tank. alot of ppl say they eat fish, but they only eat dead/dying fish. its a bristle worm....unless its a bobbit worm/eunicid worm. from the looks of urs, i think its just a regular bristle worm. u can catch it and throw away if u want.. but they should be harmless. and ur spike thing, yea i always kena. even from liverock....very painful -_- wash with warm water and massage ur finger. then try to pull out the spikes.

• SRC Member

ya i kenna the spikes from LRs quite alot of times also.. will linger for a few days before it goes away.. its like splinters..

yupps, i 2nd on the ID that its just a bristleworm.. but if its 2ft long, i would take it out.. i just dun like gross worms in my tank haha.. :)

• SRC Member
ya i kenna the spikes from LRs quite alot of times also.. will linger for a few days before it goes away.. its like splinters..

yupps, i 2nd on the ID that its just a bristleworm.. but if its 2ft long, i would take it out.. i just dun like gross worms in my tank haha.. :)

Thanks for confirming the ID... Next question is how to get rid of it ? Beside taking out the whole rock.., I have try using PVC pipe and drill multiple hole/size to trap.. but no lick.. I think there are at least 3 of it anout 1 to 2 ft long..scary

• Senior Reefer

if u dont mind its presence, and if u dont see it at all most of the time, why u want ttake out? O.O its good. maybe coz its too big haha. my bristle worms all at most 10 cm nia. maybe u can bait it at night. they seem to be most active during night time. use a piece of prawn perhaps? or get something to kill and eat it.

• SRC Member

Coral banded shrimp, arrow crab and bicolor dottyback are said to hunt for these worms if small enough. Your's at 2 feet will need other measures.

Speaking of bristle worms, check this out.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

the link shows a bobbit worm, eunicid family.. not a bristle worm as what the author mentioned haha.. :lol: bobbit worms are hunters, and definitely BAD..

• SRC Member
u must hv rub ur hand against some spiky white stuff very common in new live rocks,,

they r spongey alike,,,

dun tink ur worm able to bite u ....

e size u feel sharp pain is quite impossible.. even e fishing bait worm bigger size of eunice worm i kanna bitten by also nt much pain..

I guess is the Bristle worm white spike that stunk my finger.. As mentioned by vt_snowman87...I still feeling the pain and expect to go away in days.

no lehz..

u hear from where one..

no lahz they dun eat lps nor their babies eat..

i tink bcus of e fire worm my zoas no spiders or nudis loh

e worm every nite go explore my zoas poylps it no space for my abalone snails to go on top...

their babies r abit special they can wigle very fast n appear swimming in water

else they normally cant crawl glass... or swim up..

• SRC Member
Thanks for confirming the ID... Next question is how to get rid of it ? Beside taking out the whole rock.., I have try using PVC pipe and drill multiple hole/size to trap.. but no lick.. I think there are at least 3 of it anout 1 to 2 ft long..scary

Well tat's scary... But this is more scary... :sick:http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

Well tat's scary... But this is more scary... :sick:http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

thts e one we normally used for fishing

lolx....

he very long nv peek into e tank at nite liao lahz..

eh bro lee u nv use bait u can nv catch them one...

u nid to simulate a environment tht dun look like trap to them...

n stop feeding fresh food for e moment..

• SRC Member
This afternoon when moving Zoas, sudden felt a sharp Pain.. the moment I retract my hand, saw this worm hide underneath the rock..

The next moment I reliazed my 2 finger full of this white spike... very painful...

Any one can help to ID this guy.. seem like a bristle worm, it is about 2 feet long.. I guess... never seem to find the end... Should I remove it ? :cry:

Nice green stripe mushies u have there.

Dottyback will eat these worms....they will swim into the live rocks to hunt.

l7304smr.jpg

Nice green stripe mushies u have there.

Dottyback will eat these worms....they will swim into the live rocks to hunt.

eh bro e worm longer than e dotty worm lehz

lolx...

i heard b4 there is one type of special crab tht eat all this shit

its e arrowhead crab but it also eat ur snail

henry got sell..

looks like long leg crab...

It's one of those tank nasties that go by the common name of fireworm (feeling the effect right?). Best thing to do is not to rub it but use a powerful vacuum to suck out the spikes. Will hurt for a few days ---if u r lucky.

Next time use a set of rock movers (forcep-like thingy, cost around $25 plus) .

Finbir.

• SRC Member
It's one of those tank nasties that go by the common name of fireworm (feeling the effect right?). Best thing to do is not to rub it but use a powerful vacuum to suck out the spikes. Will hurt for a few days ---if u r lucky.

Next time use a set of rock movers (forcep-like thingy, cost around $25 plus) .

Finbir.

Yah loh. still feeling the effert after 3 days..

I use a tongs with plastic grip and cost me $2... wouldn't dare to use bare hand to move rock till confirm no more fireworm/bristle worm in my tank.. but seem like impossible.. last light I did a check ( after drop in a few cube of mysis).. Waha. all sizes of worm crawling out... seem like I need to learn how to respend this guys...

I use a tongs with plastic grip and cost me $2... wouldn't dare to use bare hand to move rock till confirm no more fireworm/bristle worm in my tank.. but seem like impossible.. last light I did a check ( after drop in a few cube of mysis).. Waha. all sizes of worm crawling out... seem like I need to learn how to respend this guys...

they r still nt ur frens yet lahz..

i use to pla ywith one in my hand i thought they caterpillas...

mayb u rub ur hand too hand against them liaoz...

• SRC Member
they r still nt ur frens yet lahz..

i use to pla ywith one in my hand i thought they caterpillas...

mayb u rub ur hand too hand against them liaoz...

Yap, think so as I grap the Rock and maybe my fingers press against their body loh..

Hope to get it out before overgrown...

Any idea If I break it into two pcs.. will it grow into two worm like earth worm of it will just die ?

• SRC Member

Anyone tried using latex surgical gloves? Tongs & rubber gloves are to cumbersome.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)