Mark's 3ft Tank. Zoas and Clams!

markietan

actually the hk zoas are quite cheap. for the quality and quantity... haha u'll be surprised. found it at one of the shops at mong kok area.. however only managed to find 3 pieces and i bought all 3 (shared with a friend). they are more into fishes rather than corals. the fishes there also dirt cheap ar.. esp the angels

equipment, additives, etc also cheap there la. i think the competition there quite steep, because all located on one street.

i tink u can ask them export here then sell us better than sell there no business lolx..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOAH!

nice zoas! i like... i've got somethings that you may like... (wanna exchange?)

hahaha...

i've got some blue and some intense bright pink ones... wanna xchange frags not?

Thought your old scape was quite nice... got hill and valley.

New one is quite nice too... would be nice to create a zoas corner or mountain??

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member
actually the hk zoas are quite cheap. for the quality and quantity... haha u'll be surprised. found it at one of the shops at mong kok area.. however only managed to find 3 pieces and i bought all 3 (shared with a friend). they are more into fishes rather than corals. the fishes there also dirt cheap ar.. esp the angels

equipment, additives, etc also cheap there la. i think the competition there quite steep, because all located on one street.

Did you just hand carry the corals back, chuck it as a check-in luggage or shipped? Any customs issue?

• SRC Member
wa if ur zoos grow all over the bottom and the back glass of ur tank. OMG LA SO NICE!! one "shell" of zoos. wow shiok

actually there's this guy on reefcentral with just that. haha super nicee... and very natural too.

if anyone here dove at redang kalong before, u see the house reef area... whole patch of zoas. hahaa of course the zoas there are not as colorful. but still v nice!

sometimes when i'm diving and i realize the zoa still look quite red even though i'm quite deep, very tempted to want to bring it up to see if the zoa is some super red specimen anot. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Did you just hand carry the corals back, chuck it as a check-in luggage or shipped? Any customs issue?

cannot hand carry coz got got to pack with water ar. it was in my check-in luggage. heng no leak... haha packed 3 packets inside 1 hikari box, they hold it quite nicely. bring some extra tape along to pack yourself coz they quite stingy with the tape.. i think they didn't think i was gonna fly that back to singapore thats why...

• SRC Member
Very nice and healthy looking Zoas you got there! :ooh: Looks like i need to plan a trip to HK soon :lol:

Managed to do any diving while u were there?

Might wanna consider adding more rocks so that you can add more jems to ya tank... i can see lots of potential!

hey thanks! didn't manage to go diving coz i went with my family ar... my mum will nag nag nag if i had went. haha

i heard the diving area is mainly at tsai kung? anyway my friend who went diving said there's not much to see and the water is quite cold. the price is about the same as going hantu to dive, so relatively affordable.

i also thinking of stacking more rocks to make the structure higher but very scared it might topple.. if it drops to the 'ground' then it might crack the glass and i'll be in for a good time. :pinch:

• SRC Member
WOAH!

nice zoas! i like... i've got somethings that you may like... (wanna exchange?)

hahaha...

i've got some blue and some intense bright pink ones... wanna xchange frags not?

Thought your old scape was quite nice... got hill and valley.

New one is quite nice too... would be nice to create a zoas corner or mountain??

thansk bro for the comments. definitely up for exchange, just pm me and let me know which ones u are interested in and i'll frag that for you when the colony is ready.

zoa mountain will be nice... but it'll definitely take some time. :whistle

• SRC Member
cannot hand carry coz got got to pack with water ar. it was in my check-in luggage. heng no leak... haha packed 3 packets inside 1 hikari box, they hold it quite nicely. bring some extra tape along to pack yourself coz they quite stingy with the tape.. i think they didn't think i was gonna fly that back to singapore thats why...

I'm sorry if it sounds like a noob question, but what's a hikari box? Also, when you mentioned tape, what did you use it for? To seal the box or plastic bags? I'm just trying to figure out how the whole "shipment" took place... :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
I'm sorry if it sounds like a noob question, but what's a hikari box? Also, when you mentioned tape, what did you use it for? To seal the box or plastic bags? I'm just trying to figure out how the whole "shipment" took place... :eyebrow:

haha sorry i should have been more clear. u know those hikari frozen mysis we get in slabs? they ship it in styrofoam boxes, like 20 in 1 box or something.. the box keeps the mysis from melting during shipment i think. and the tape is to seal the styrofoam box... the plastic bags they will use rubber band. as the cargo area in the plane is often not pressurized, the air inside expands as we ascend into cruising altitude. if the air is too much, some of it might escape if it's just rubber band... worse case scenario the bag burst and water will fill the box, so thats why you need to seal it well to make sure no leak in case the bag burst?

• SRC Member
haha sorry i should have been more clear. u know those hikari frozen mysis we get in slabs? they ship it in styrofoam boxes, like 20 in 1 box or something.. the box keeps the mysis from melting during shipment i think. and the tape is to seal the styrofoam box... the plastic bags they will use rubber band. as the cargo area in the plane is often not pressurized, the air inside expands as we ascend into cruising altitude. if the air is too much, some of it might escape if it's just rubber band... worse case scenario the bag burst and water will fill the box, so thats why you need to seal it well to make sure no leak in case the bag burst?

Thanks for the info! :thanks: Looks like a visit to Hong Kong would be nice... :eyebrow:

• 2 weeks later...
some more pictures taken today

HTS (half tank shot)

post-5359-1234952459.jpg

Clams and rics. I added 3 more baby maxima... very nice shipment from coral farm

post-5359-1234952486.jpg

This radioactive green one is stuck to the glass!

post-5359-1234952496.jpg

:shock: ...nice collection of zoos you have there bro... :bow::bow:

• SRC Member
Nice tank dude.

Do ya need to siphon the base often ? weekly ?

nope.. i seldom siphon actually... even when i change water bi-weekly, just siphon abit.. i think alot of detritus stuck underneath the rock work... haha. next tank have to put a strong wavemater at the bottom le.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

some pictures of my fishies

yellow belly blue tang. got him when he was a really small 1 inch baby... only tang in my tank

post-5359-1238259258.jpg

pink margin. got it from bro ultraman. had cloudy eyes which developed into super pop eye (like going to burst) but after intensive garlic mysis regime, eye has almost recovered. fingers crossed... biggest wrasse in my tank and always swimming near the surface. very interesting

post-5359-1238259177.jpg

algae blenny. rather plain looking but a very cool fish nonetheless. very hardworking and has quite an attitude. likes to topple my lose zoa frags but thats okay, i still love you. haha

post-5359-1238259354.jpg

red finned fairy wrasse. recent acquisition from coral farm. red-est fish in my tank, especially under ati color pro this fish really stands out from the rest. however i suspect it might have killied some of my other wrasse... can't confirm if he is the murderer.

post-5359-1238259660.jpg

solar wrasse (female). one of my first wrasse from CF. quite peaceful and i realize her coloration has been improving!

post-5359-1238260084.jpg

now some pic of wrasse that are gone..

radiant wrasse. bought from bro ultraman and exchanged with thomas for his blotchy as my new tank didn't have a sand bed for him to sleep in. very active fish with nice face pattern/coloration!

post-5359-1238259553.jpg

royal pencil wrasse. not exactly gone yet but going to be trapped and sold to bro chamty soon. this guy also needs a sandbed so he's quite jumpy at night when i do my tank maintainece.post-5359-1238259727.jpg

exquisite wrasse. also from bro ultraman. this guy died mysteriously... one day saw him lying sick on the floor. before i can net him out, he went into the rock works never to be seen again... Rest in peace

post-5359-1238259774.jpg

filament fin wrasse. from CF.. was negligent in QT procedure and this guy had ich... kena some of the other tank mates but its good to get 'flu' once a while... builds up immunity. this guy often bullied by the red fin and one day just went missing.. <_<

post-5359-1238259829.jpg

now some frontal shots!

solar wrasse (male). bought this together with the female from CF. peaceful guy and nice coloration

post-5359-1238260143.jpg

royal gamma. bought from a fellow reefer. had a torn fin initially but have fully recovered... love the way it hides and peeps out of the rock works!

post-5359-1238260193.jpg

still have my new blotchy anthias from bro thomas haven't photograph yet. waiting for him to catch another piece to sell me so can take as a pair... like my clowns

post-5359-1238260433.jpg

Livestock list as of now

Fish

1 X Blue Tang

1 X Algae Blenny

1 X Purple Fire Dart Goby

1 X Royal Gamma

2 X False Percula Clownfish

2 X Solar Wrasse (Male / female)

1 X Pink Margin Wrasse

1 X Red Fin Wrasse

1 X Royal Wrasse (to be trapped and sold)

1 X Blotchy Anthias

Invert

2 X Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 X Fire Shrimp

5 X T. Maxima

2 X T. Corcea

hi bro, nice meeting you. Yr solar female wrasse seems to be blue head fairy female wrasse, i may be wrong. Good to check out expert. Anyway, nice fishes. : )

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler