bubble

sparks1107

hi guys.. i bought a greenish bubble from fellow reefer here about 2weeks ago. it did well for the first few days after which i noticed part of the bubble is showing its skeleton even i on the lights the whole day. it's placed at moderate flow area. do i have to target feed it? how do i have to go about feeding it? feed it during the day or at night? im feeding my fishes and corals with henry food, pellets and baby plankton at the moment.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

You may feed it when the lights are on as they can sense that the food is on it.Anyways what are your parameters?You said that it is showing skeleton which sometimes due to stress.....

girlone.png

A pic will be great.

will try to take the before/after pic when i get back home today.

as for the parameters, what are the neccessary parameters i have to check? calcium? cause 1 of the senior reefer told me to just change water more frequently and no need to buy test kits to check. been doing 10-20% water change at least twice a week for my 2ft nano tank.

will it feed on henry food, baby plankton? or do i have to feed it with market prawn for better well being of my bubble?

• Senior Reefer

unlike other corals where showing skeleton means its dying, bubble corals when they show their skeletons could just mean that they are not open. i wouldnt worry about it "dying" just yet. check ur water parameters. bubbles are forgiving and they can tolerate slightly lousy water quality. as for lighting, they dun need so much lighting. moderate lighting is enough. feeding wise, it is reccoemeded u feed your bubble once a week or once every 2 weeks with a small piece of prawn just big enough for it to injest.

i cannot stress this enough. over feeding LPS will kill them in the long run. have seen ppl feeding their pratas and cynarinas pieces of prawn EVERYDAY. although fun to watch, the LPS will die slowly from exhaustion. my 2 cents.

unlike other corals where showing skeleton means its dying, bubble corals when they show their skeletons could just mean that they are not open. i wouldnt worry about it "dying" just yet. check ur water parameters. bubbles are forgiving and they can tolerate slightly lousy water quality. as for lighting, they dun need so much lighting. moderate lighting is enough. feeding wise, it is reccoemeded u feed your bubble once a week or once every 2 weeks with a small piece of prawn just big enough for it to injest.

i cannot stress this enough. over feeding LPS will kill them in the long run. have seen ppl feeding their pratas and cynarinas pieces of prawn EVERYDAY. although fun to watch, the LPS will die slowly from exhaustion. my 2 cents.

:thanks: lemon :rolleyes:

how do i have to about feeding them? normally i feed henry food at the overflow let the current bring the food to my fishes and corals. sufficient enough? or do i have to target feed them.

same.. the last bubble i had also didnt open up nicely.

• Senior Reefer
:thanks: lemon :rolleyes:

how do i have to about feeding them? normally i feed henry food at the overflow let the current bring the food to my fishes and corals. sufficient enough? or do i have to target feed them.

same.. the last bubble i had also didnt open up nicely.

if u do that method of feeding, u have to make sure the bubble is extending its feeding tentacles to "catch" the food. if its not extending the tentacles, then passing food particles cannot be captured and will be of no use. u can try placing a small piece of prawn on the bubble coral and turning off circulation for awhile to let the bubble grab the food. do this until the bubble can auto-extend the tentacles in anticipation of food.

check ur water parameters too.

• SRC Member
hi guys.. i bought a greenish bubble from fellow reefer here about 2weeks ago. it did well for the first few days after which i noticed part of the bubble is showing its skeleton even i on the lights the whole day. it's placed at moderate flow area. do i have to target feed it? how do i have to go about feeding it? feed it during the day or at night? im feeding my fishes and corals with henry food, pellets and baby plankton at the moment.

:thanks:

Notice the tissue of the bubble is very thin, so pressing against it or small knocks can cost the skin to break hence showing the skeleton. the tear may come from during lifting the bubble out of water, during transport or even during placing it in tank. if the bubble still open well, i will juz leave it alone. i have gd results with feeding my bubbles with pellets. less troublesome compared to prawn meat.

will try to take the before/after pic when i get back home today.

as for the parameters, what are the neccessary parameters i have to check? calcium? cause 1 of the senior reefer told me to just change water more frequently and no need to buy test kits to check. been doing 10-20% water change at least twice a week for my 2ft nano tank.

will it feed on henry food, baby plankton? or do i have to feed it with market prawn for better well being of my bubble?

First of all, test kits are important especially when you just started your setup and you want to monitor the water parameters and make sure they are going in the right direction. And I don't think it is good advice for you not to get any test kits. Important water parameters for a reef tank, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrates, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, pH. I will do a brief outline on these parameters as much more can be found on the many reef forums including here.

For a properly cycled tank, the ammonia and nitrite should be 0 therefore, their test kits are less necessary for already cycled tanks. Those kits that you need in the long run IMHO are nitrates, alkalinity, calcium, ph and salinity.

These parameters are just a rough guide and many reefers have varying parameters. Stability is important in reefing.

Nitrates as close to 0 ( off the charts nitrate ,ie more than 100 ppm is definitey not acceptable because corals cannot survive and fish will die from nitrate poisoning sooner or later)

Alkalinity(kH) 7-11 are the usual range ( important to keep it stable to a fluctuation of 1 magnitude if possible)

Calcium 400-500 ppm

Magnesium 1300-1450 are the acceptable range

ph 8-8.3 (fluctuates throughout the day)

Salinity 1.025-1.026 the usual natural range

If your tank is not heavily stocked, the water changes are suffice to replenish you calcium, mag, kH and other trace element.

Next doing up to 20% water change in a 2 ft tank at least twice a week is quite a lot, especially if the water parameters are inconsistent. You can reduce it to like 10% per week if you want. Make sure your salinity stays constant because corals are sensitive to this.

As for target feeding, give some time for your bubble coral to settle down in your tank. Given the right conditions, they should recover quickly from any injuries. Feeding can then resume. Feeding a sick coral is not recommended because it can put additional stress on the coral and faster demise.

• SRC Member

if you're unsure of how to feed, just look out for its tentacles. place the food near them and they will take the food from you. i use to feed near the mouth, gently place the food between its bubbles but i realized it was quite useless. the food floats away after awhile. to feed, they need the tentacles to grab the food for them

• SRC Member

Best time to feed is when lights are off....their tentacles will start coming out searching for food. But sometimes, if they are really desperate for food, their tentacles will also appear in the day. Just turn off yr wavemaker and feed them with tiny bits of prawn or fish meat weekly or alternate weeks will do...once they are accustom to feeding, you do not have to switch off yr wavemaker anymore. You can also feed them with cyclopee or those prepared food, sold in AM@Katong or Henry's gourmet @ML. Bascially most LPS feed in the night...also true for sps...though i failed my attempt with staghorn..

bro, lemon i cannot imagine pple feed their LPS everyday....wahahahaha...this is funny

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer
Best time to feed is when lights are off....their tentacles will start coming out searching for food. But sometimes, if they are really desperate for food, their tentacles will also appear in the day. Just turn off yr wavemaker and feed them with tiny bits of prawn or fish meat weekly or alternate weeks will do...once they are accustom to feeding, you do not have to switch off yr wavemaker anymore. You can also feed them with cyclopee or those prepared food, sold in AM@Katong or Henry's gourmet @ML. Bascially most LPS feed in the night...also true for sps...though i failed my attempt with staghorn..

bro, lemon i cannot imagine pple feed their LPS everyday....wahahahaha...this is funny

some do...lol

actually, FYI my tank already up for about 1year already. I've tested my nitrite, pH, salinity all along. as for the rest of the parameters i didnt check. cause my tank initially was a FOWLR.

probably i should try feeding my LPS with henry gourment at late evening with blue lights on. (giving them a night feeling) haven take note of the food falling onto the bubble's tentacles. think muz b really coincidence for the food to fall onto them. not easy :eyebrow:

• Senior Reefer
actually, FYI my tank already up for about 1year already. I've tested my nitrite, pH, salinity all along. as for the rest of the parameters i didnt check. cause my tank initially was a FOWLR.

probably i should try feeding my LPS with henry gourment at late evening with blue lights on. (giving them a night feeling) haven take note of the food falling onto the bubble's tentacles. think muz b really coincidence for the food to fall onto them. not easy :eyebrow:

yes. for bubble that require occasioanly feeding, its best to just target feed them. since u dun hav to do it so often, its not much of a chore. broadcast feeding and hoping that food lands on bubble coral will pollute water and waste food. do this only if u feeding fish at the same time.

• SRC Member

u can try using a tube to feed them. else abit troublesome, what i do is put my hand inside n drop 2 3 pellets onto them.

u can try using a tube to feed them. else abit troublesome, what i do is put my hand inside n drop 2 3 pellets onto them.

ok will try feeding with pellets too. think part of my bubble already died off. haven open up for days already. cam with my sis unable to take pic :huh:

so i just drop the pellets onto any parts of the bubble? or do i have to wait for the tentacles to be out then drop onto them? cause i noticed they're only out at night <_<

:thanks: anyway.

• SRC Member
ok will try feeding with pellets too. think part of my bubble already died off. haven open up for days already. cam with my sis unable to take pic :huh:

so i just drop the pellets onto any parts of the bubble? or do i have to wait for the tentacles to be out then drop onto them? cause i noticed they're only out at night <_<

:thanks: anyway.

Anytime of the day it can eat.Just drop the pellets and its tentacles wiill appear meaning the bubble will deflate to become tentacles.

girlone.png

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

Notice the tissue of the bubble is very thin, so pressing against it or small knocks can cost the skin to break hence showing the skeleton. the tear may come from during lifting the bubble out of water, during transport or even during placing it in tank. if the bubble still open well, i will juz leave it alone. i have gd results with feeding my bubbles with pellets. less troublesome compared to prawn meat.

just wondering... as mentioned if the skin of the bubble break hence showing the skeleton,

will it heal???

i dropped my bubble on the sandbed by accident few days ago..

and it has been showing its skeleton ever since...

occasionally during the day, they will open,

but not as big as day 1 when i first bought it....

will the size of the bubbles ever grow back to how it was before???

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
just wondering... as mentioned if the skin of the bubble break hence showing the skeleton,

will it heal???

i dropped my bubble on the sandbed by accident few days ago..

and it has been showing its skeleton ever since...

occasionally during the day, they will open,

but not as big as day 1 when i first bought it....

will the size of the bubbles ever grow back to how it was before???

the skeleton in white uh??

I suppose it will recover but takes time bah :rolleyes:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg