Fuzzy's 28G Pasar Malam Nano.

Fuzzy

Decided to move this thread from the Setup one to keep updates here, heh.

Original thread: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78015

Ok! so I've added some new LS into the tank over the last few weeks, some quick updates with FTS.

post-15889-1239709759.jpg

My humble rock of Mushrooms, they seem to be happy with their location and expanding nicely to soak up the light.

post-15889-1239709814.jpg

Sun Corals looking happy, these greedy little buggers only open up when I feed them though :(

Currently feeding them with a mixture of Hikari Mysis and Cyclopeeze.

post-15889-1239709877.jpg

Some Tree coral, weird that this coral seems "deflated" when the lights are off, then like an inflatable balloon puffs up when the lights are on.

post-15889-1239709966.jpg

Ok I made a boo boo with this purchase, I didn't realize these "Strawberry" coral were this hard to keep alive in captivity..thought they were

similar in requirements to tree coral...oops I hope they will survive on TLF marine snow. so far so good.

post-15889-1239710131.jpg

Ok heres where things get unhappy...this Plate Coral I bought at the same time as the Tree coral and Strawberry is doing very badly...

I'm not sure who or what is responsible for eating this poor guy.

My prime suspects are a nuisance crab which I hadn't noticed for over a month which has now been removed, or bristleworms living in the sand.

I hope it survives, but I'm not holding my breath.

post-15889-1239710273.jpg

DIY FR Chaetofuge updates.

Day 14

post-15889-1239710836.jpg

The Chaeto is growing at a rapid pace. even with just a 9W PL light on it.

You can see from the other thread what the chaeto looked like on Day 1 and Day 5.

It has grow to more than triple the amount I started with in 2 weeks, its browning though,

especially right where the PL light is positioned, strange.

I still haven't checked NO3 levels, to see if its having any noticeable effect yet :paiseh:

I'll go do that now :ph34r:

• SRC Member

I like your FR Chaetofuge. Keep your ideas running!

I used to have my plate recovered from slight torn tissues, but not sure about yours as it is in a bad condition.

But nothing is impossible :D

More pictures ....

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

try putting the plates on your sandbed...in the wild, they are usually found on sandbed...no harm trying...my 2 cents

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

I looooove looking at nano cubes....... and yours is looking great! :D

Love the chaeto in FR too, do keep us posted on the results, I'm quite keen to try it also... :pirate:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

plates on rocks = die. especially the long tentacle ones like urs.

the strawberry coral is a cauliflower. hate to say this but near impossible to keep alive. in captivity, it its only prolonging its death. i bought one too last time ):

very nice tank btw. keep it up

I looooove looking at nano cubes....... and yours is looking great! :D

Love the chaeto in FR too, do keep us posted on the results, I'm quite keen to try it also... :pirate:

Thanks for the kind words! I'm just getting started with this cube, I don't intend to bioload it too heavily, and intend to only

have a pair of true perculas and at most a goby in there for fish. I do intend to add a few more shrimp though.

I'm kind of an invert nut.

Bro, where did you get the reflective mylar sheet from? Does it really help for the cheato growth?

Not sure if it helps, I just had it laying around, and figured I would use it to keep light from flooding me, as this is in my bedroom.

You should be able to pick it up from most of those larger plant nurseries, especially the ones that cater to hydropnic cultivation.

Also arts and crafts stores sometimes carry it.

In the end I still had to wrap the whole thing in foil, because that light runs 24/7 and is fairly bright at night.

The poor plate is back on the sandbed now, I moved it to the rock for a day because I was afraid it was bristleworms living in the substrate attacking it.

Just tested my water parameters, looks like the FR Chaetofuge actually works!

My NO3 was at 20ppm after cycling completed, I did a 40% water change and started to introduce livestock.

I have been feeding a cocktail of Hikari frozen mysis, Freeze dried cyclopeeze, TLF Marine Snow and Hikari frozen rotifers.

5ml Marine snow, 1/2 cube frozen Mysis, 1/2 Cube frozen Rotifers, 1/4 teaspoon Cyclopeeze, once every 3 days.

My water parameters as of 5 minutes ago:

Salinity : 1.025

Temp : 26C

pH : 8.2 - 8.3

NH4 : 0

NO2 : 0

NO3 : 5ppm

Mg : 1380

Ca : 420 mg/L

dKH : 4

PO4 : ??? Very weird, my API Reef Master Test Kit is working ok for all other tests.

Only Phosphate doesn't seem to be reading properly. This is a brand new just opened set.

I've tried twice following the instructions precisely, and both times it stays a light yellow,

not even yellowish green or anything close to green. Is the PO4 test kit defective?

Anyone have experience with the API PO4 test? Is it because my PO4 is off the charts?

I think this is highly unlikely as I mixed this saltwater with DI water measuring 0ppm TDS and Marine Environment Salt.

I _am_ experiencing some light algae growth though, on the glass and to a lesser degree on some of the live rock.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I haven't plumbed my TLF Phosban FR into the loop yet, because I am afraid it will affect the flow of the return pump too much...

• SRC Member
Just tested my water parameters, looks like the FR Chaetofuge actually works!

My NO3 was at 20ppm after cycling completed, I did a 40% water change and started to introduce livestock.

I have been feeding a cocktail of Hikari frozen mysis, Freeze dried cyclopeeze, TLF Marine Snow and Hikari frozen rotifers.

5ml Marine snow, 1/2 cube frozen Mysis, 1/2 Cube frozen Rotifers, 1/4 teaspoon Cyclopeeze, once every 3 days.

My water parameters as of 5 minutes ago:

Salinity : 1.025

Temp : 26C

pH : 8.2 - 8.3

NH4 : 0

NO2 : 0

NO3 : 5ppm

Mg : 1380

Ca : 420 mg/L

dKH : 4

PO4 : ??? Very weird, my API Reef Master Test Kit is working ok for all other tests.

Only Phosphate doesn't seem to be reading properly. This is a brand new just opened set.

I've tried twice following the instructions precisely, and both times it stays a light yellow,

not even yellowish green or anything close to green. Is the PO4 test kit defective?

Anyone have experience with the API PO4 test? Is it because my PO4 is off the charts?

I think this is highly unlikely as I mixed this saltwater with DI water measuring 0ppm TDS and Marine Environment Salt.

I _am_ experiencing some light algae growth though, on the glass and to a lesser degree on some of the live rock.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I haven't plumbed my TLF Phosban FR into the loop yet, because I am afraid it will affect the flow of the return pump too much...

dKH at 4? it far too low to keep ur LS happy....u sure u gt the right reading?

dKH at 4? it far too low to keep ur LS happy....u sure u gt the right reading?

Fairly sure, the API dKH test is quite straightforward.

Drop one turns it blue, add drops until it turns yellow. Hmm strange, ok I'll do a water change and measure again.

Hi Fuzzy,

I use the API Phos testkit as well. However, i've been told that the range for the API Phos testkits is unsuitable for marine use and more suited for freshwater as the phosphate tolerance for marine setup is too low for the API kits. Also, if you notice, the first jump in the scale on the API phosphate color chart is 0 to 0.25 (0.25, where immediate actions is recommended for marine tanks). To make matters worse, the color between 0 and 0.25 is so close that its quite difficult to tell the difference.

I'm not sure why your test remains a light yellow color. Perhaps you might like to use another brand?

Cheers.

• SRC Member
DIY FR Chaetofuge updates.

Day 14

post-15889-1239710836.jpg

The Chaeto is growing at a rapid pace. even with just a 9W PL light on it.

You can see from the other thread what the chaeto looked like on Day 1 and Day 5.

It has grow to more than triple the amount I started with in 2 weeks, its browning though,

especially right where the PL light is positioned, strange.

I still haven't checked NO3 levels, to see if its having any noticeable effect yet :paiseh:

I'll go do that now :ph34r:

More pics... More pics... :rolleyes: Nice setup... :eyebrow:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Its been an educational 8 months for this tank.

I don't have the confidence to attempt SPS with this tank, so I will be decommissioning it before I move to something bigger!

Been dreaming of a shallow rimless tank for the last few months, I think I will sell off everything then start planning shortly! :pirate:

• SRC Member

wow...

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Its been an educational 8 months for this tank.

I don't have the confidence to attempt SPS with this tank, so I will be decommissioning it before I move to something bigger!

Been dreaming of a shallow rimless tank for the last few months, I think I will sell off everything then start planning shortly! :pirate:

Care to share if the DIY FR cheatofuge worked for you?

Yes the DIY Chaetofuge worked quite well, I definitely recommend it for anyone who is running sumpless, or if you want to free up more space in your sump.

There were only 2 small problems with my build.

It would have worked better with more light, I reckon a 1.5ft PL or an LED arrangement would have worked much better.

The second small problem is its quite a hassle to disconnect the FR to harvest chaeto from the FR, so you might want to provision

for on/off valves when you do this.