Help!! My red pratas are turning green ...

archangylle

Guys, my red pratas are slowing turning green and I am not sure whats causing it. All parameters are good. I use 2X 150 MH lights turned on 2 hours a day. The rest of the time I have my T12 actinic lights on. They are all still opening up very well during feeding. Please give me some suggestions :paiseh:

• SRC Member
Guys, my red pratas are slowing turning green and I am not sure whats causing it. All parameters are good. I use 2X 150 MH lights turned on 2 hours a day. The rest of the time I have my T12 actinic lights on. They are all still opening up very well during feeding. Please give me some suggestions :paiseh:

did the whole prata turn green or onli part of it? also 2 hrs of mh is a little short.

• SRC Member

Mine is not red turn to green... Is my prata's mouth actually white turn to green... Anws urs not too sure... Can LPS be dyed??? :unsure:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer
Mine is not red turn to green... Is my prata's mouth actually white turn to green... Anws urs not too sure... Can LPS be dyed??? :unsure:

yes. LPS can be dyed. even gonios and pagoda cup corals.

did the whole prata turn green or onli part of it? also 2 hrs of mh is a little short.

Hi, the parts that are turning green are the parts nearest to the "sun ray"-like 'bones' of the prata. I bot pratas from iwarna, so pretty sure they werent dyed. Maybe I should put in more iodine :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Hi, the parts that are turning green are the parts nearest to the "sun ray"-like 'bones' of the prata. I bot pratas from iwarna, so pretty sure they werent dyed. Maybe I should put in more iodine :rolleyes:

Sometimes when pratas r shipped here, they r stressed n lost some of the colours. the green part could be some pattern on the prata. could be red with green lines, happen on 1 of my red prata b4. dun think gt anything to do with lack of iodine in this case.

Is it possible for algae growth on the skeleton, with the flesh still intact? I'm just guessing, because I've never kept one before.

yes its possible if the coral is place in a zero flow area with medium light

lets say when u r recovering it from receding flesh..

i noramlly let it bleach till e flesh recover then use light to adjust back its colours..

cyno n Halgae, and some carpet greens loves to grow on their skeleton

• SRC Member
how come u nid help when its turning from white to green lolx..

unless u say u prefer white?

its rather common to c prata go thru colour morph after settling down in tank lighting condition..

all lps colours will morph accordingly to their environment..

No la... Sharing "experience" mah... LOL... Green is nicer... But izzit the whole prata turn green or part of it?? if its part of it mine too... :unsure: The skirtings end turning green too... :pirate:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer

LPS and zoos will change colour according to light one. dun worry its not dying. like the LFS and the sea and your tank lights are all different. the coral will adjust its colour to filter out which light it needs more or dun need.

if im not wrong, (please correct me if i am), it is turning green because ur light has too much "green spectrum" in it. as far as i know, white light has 7 colours of the rainbow. could be urs have too much green, and the prata is changing to green to reflect the green. (you see green because green is being reflected into ur eye). thats why the coral turns green to filter out excess green.

the logic is more or less correct according to science, but im not sure if it applies to corals =x

LPS and zoos will change colour according to light one. dun worry its not dying. like the LFS and the sea and your tank lights are all different. the coral will adjust its colour to filter out which light it needs more or dun need.

if im not wrong, (please correct me if i am), it is turning green because ur light has too much "green spectrum" in it. as far as i know, white light has 7 colours of the rainbow. could be urs have too much green, and the prata is changing to green to reflect the green. (you see green because green is being reflected into ur eye). thats why the coral turns green to filter out excess green.

the logic is more or less correct according to science, but im not sure if it applies to corals =x

Thanks, all three of my pratas are turning green now, around the skirting too. But the green is quite nice. Maybe I should install red lights then. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
how come u nid help when its turning from white to green lolx..

unless u say u prefer white?

its rather common to c prata go thru colour morph after settling down in tank lighting condition..

all lps colours will morph accordingly to their environment..

Both of these bros are correct in a way. Most of the corals in the world are green or brown. Even researches/scientists still unable to tell the exact answers.

Some say may due to the light spectrum and temperature. Some say its the basic colour of corals.

I personally noticed after brown corals acclimated to its environment, it will turn to green in a few months. Sometimes another few months some will change from green to other colours. Or some from other colours to green. Even my yellow ricordia changed to orange within 2 weeks. I had an anemone which turned from brown to green and lastly to striking yellow and green stripes with red spots. Had another anemone chenaged from brown to green and then to yellow with blue spots.

All of these corals lives to few years in my tank so it means they are healthy.

All these are not important. The important thing is your corals are healthy so should not be worry. Hope this will relieve you from stress.

It is best not to simply play with improper lightings. This will directly/indirectly kill your corals.

As long as your corals not changing to transparent bleaching colour, it is still OK.