comy's newbie tank

comycus

• SRC Member

Thank god I got Vincent to help me do the installation. I think I would have been in much more trouble if I tried to DIY (yes the idea actually crossed my mind initially). Really must say a big thank you to Vincent for agreeing to do my sump at such short notice, especially when he has ICT starting tmr.

Full marks to Vincent when it comes to tank set-ups! The sump tank was well done, and attention to detail is really first class. To top it off, his pricing is v. competitive if you demand high quality work.

Ok, I wished I had taken more pics but I'm really too tired... Turns out my salinity probe didn't need re-callibrating. My tank salinity has been hovering at 1.027 for the last 2 weeks!!! No wonder my PBT has white spots! sigh and through a series of schoolboy errors, I managed to increase it to 1.030 after adding water into my sump. To top it off, I dropped my salinity monitor into another bucket of saltwater...

So I'm now waiting for my RO water to process so I can slowly lower my salinity back to more sane levels... It's down to 1.028 now, hope to get it to 1.026 before I sleep. Rushed over to my neighbour's house to borrow a refractometer. I really hope I don't lose any LS due to my mistakes... *pray v. hard*

Here are some pics of the sump taken when I was in a much better mood. Essentially has a mini 'display' area in front which I can use as a refugium or holding tank or frag station in future. Notice my Deltec skimmer is almost reaching the top of the cabinet. All calculations were taken into account to ensure that everything fit. Thank you Vincent!

post-16489-12734273612954_thumb.jpg

post-16489-12734273846828_thumb.jpg

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Hi comycus, yeah I agree with you with regards to Vincent, I was for a while thinking that his charges were slightly higher, but I have no complaints after he has helped me with my tank setup, though not much glasswork from him, but his service is second to none IMHO, and he really tries his best to meet our timing and expectations, despite his busy schedule and personal life. And he really pays attention to details and most willing to take in suggestions readily. :peace: even told me to call him if I needed any help or advise during his ICT. :eyebrow:

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• SRC Member

Hi comycus, yeah I agree with you with regards to Vincent, I was for a while thinking that his charges were slightly higher, but I have no complaints after he has helped me with my tank setup, though not much glasswork from him, but his service is second to none IMHO, and he really tries his best to meet our timing and expectations, despite his busy schedule and personal life. And he really pays attention to details and most willing to take in suggestions readily. :peace: even told me to call him if I needed any help or advise during his ICT. :eyebrow:

Ahh... just saw your tank. Yes his silicon work is really one of the best in the market for those interested. Glad you got him to do your installation. Great looking tank in progress!

your sump tank looks rather tall..

hopefully things will turn out good for you,

all the best bro!

Thanks bro! I hope so too.

Actually the sump isn't tall, just that my dimensions are pretty weird, measuring 15"x19"x16". That's the maximum size I can go considering my center support and height of my deltec skimmer when hanged on the side. With these measurements, I already have to remove and tilt my skimmer slightly when I want to remove my overflow cup to wash.

Update for the morning: Woke up at 6am this morning to do a mini water change with my RO water that was processed while sleeping. Managed to drop salinity to 1.026. Still can drop further, but I will have to do the rest tonight. Really exahusting past 24hrs.

• SRC Member

Maybe take this time to explain the sump in detail.

It is divided mainly into 3 compartments. The first compartment (Top left where the black sponge is) is partitioned into 2 chambers. First chamber is mainly for gravity feed from the overflow to ensure I have good flow coming from the main tank. It underflows to the second chamber where I have placed my biohome. Dosed a double dosage last night to ensure I replace any bacteria loss over the last 2 weeks when my biohome was out of action. Currently, my tank has no mechanical filtration. Might consider placing a filter sock in the first chamber. Should I?

It then flows to the second compartment which forms my display section. Really neat idea. I will be using this as a holding tank for the time being for future fish additions. Am considering turning this into some sort of pico display tank in future. Maybe house some gobies and shrimps. :D My MCE600 also draws water from this compartment, and returns back into the earlier chamber where my biohome is located.

Lastly the water flows back into the return chamber where my 2 return pumps are located. 1 chiller pump and 1 main return. I have placed my activated carbon in this chamber. Will be buying Chemipure to put in this chamber.

• SRC Member

comy sounded like one helluva busy weekend for you. :P Glad to know that everything worked out well.... :) Take a full FTS of the whole setup when everything is done ok? :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

6am! :bow: now that's what i call reef husbandry!

No choice la bro, have to clean up my own mistake or risk losing my LS. Just hope and pray for now.

comy sounded like one helluva busy weekend for you. :P Glad to know that everything worked out well.... :) Take a full FTS of the whole setup when everything is done ok? :)

Thx Desi, haha I will take a FSS tonight :upsidedown: full sump shot!

• SRC Member

looking good!...reminds me of the day when i got my 4ft nano from bino...i washed and washed the tank and sump for 3 days n nights...

btw, i gave u 5 stars for your pic of your powder blue...its damn swee...can c it is very healthy! i think i really have to add that...only powder blue can help to nip those algae on the back of my tank wall...amazing powder blue u have...gives me so much confidence in having one...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

looking good!...reminds me of the day when i got my 4ft nano from bino...i washed and washed the tank and sump for 3 days n nights...

btw, i gave u 5 stars for your pic of your powder blue...its damn swee...can c it is very healthy! i think i really have to add that...only powder blue can help to nip those algae on the back of my tank wall...amazing powder blue u have...gives me so much confidence in having one...

Well, all my fault. now the powder blue might not be in the healthiest of conditions... Hoping that the damage is minimal and I can nurture him back to the blue of health!

Thx for the stars :)

• SRC Member

Great looking sump tank :eyebrow: I'm sure this latest upgrade will be the kick in the butt that will get your motivation and morale back up.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Great looking sump tank :eyebrow: I'm sure this latest upgrade will be the kick in the butt that will get your motivation and morale back up.

Thanks bro! Yeah I think so too :) Can't wait for the tank to settle down and start adding stuff :eyebrow:

glad that everything is going back to normal for you.

nice/neat/well planned sump tank you have :eyebrow:

yeah, i like the sump design can visualise how it looks with some fishes. :P Personally i think a tall sump should be good.. take up less space but higher water volume.

Thx guys. kudos to Vincent on the sump design. Gives me what I want. Clean and simple :)

• SRC Member

Finally free to snap more pics of the new sump and overflow.

First up, photos of how the overflow looks when hanged onto the back of my tank. The shots are all crooked coz I can't really see what I'm taking. :paiseh:

post-16489-12736662485121_thumb.jpg post-16489-12736662585988_thumb.jpg

post-16489-12736662723661_thumb.jpg post-16489-12736662787944_thumb.jpg

There's absolutely no noise at all coming from the dursos! Amazing :yeah:

• SRC Member

I have to say comy it looks pretty neat!!! At least there isn't wires and pipes going here there and everywhere! :Pstuart.gif

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

I have to say comy it looks pretty neat!!! At least there isn't wires and pipes going here there and everywhere! :Pstuart.gif

hahaa are you kidding me? I thought the wires are pretty messy already... But really lazy to go tidy them up.

Anyway my next 'project' will involve these... They are already cycling in my bucket. Hope to embark on it by end of May.

post-16489-1273675997386_thumb.jpg

post-16489-12736760048771_thumb.jpg

Lots of possibilities just playing with these 2 rocks...

post-16489-12736760154511_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

love the part where the water flows to other compartment with some current in the sump :wub:

nice overflow (dont need pump right?) or does it need pump to suck it the first time when you use it

• SRC Member

haha can start a frag tank inside your sump and call it comy's pico (like ah siang 4 feet nano hahahaha) :upsidedown:

Lol I will concentrate on the main tank first... when hand starts getting itchy will see what I can do to this pico :D

love the part where the water flows to other compartment with some current in the sump :wub:

nice overflow (dont need pump right?) or does it need pump to suck it the first time when you use it

Yeah! There is a v. good moderate flow in the 'pico'. Water flowing in from the media chamber, and water flowing out into the return area. And my skimmer inflow from the pico. I don't need to add any pumps in future for circulation :yeah:

hmmm the overflow required a bit of ingenuity actually. Covered one end with a plastic bag tied with rubber band, the other with your palm and invert it into the overflow. :) Wasn't too difficult at all!

• SRC Member

Bro, very neat looking overflow box! Is it a complete DIY or just the assembly portion? Laser cutting? :eyebrow:

Lol bro I don't have the skills to DIY la... Placed the order for a customised overflow box to Ian from I-aquatics. As far as I'm concerned, the overflow box looks slick and is performing up to standard. :)