Starfish tragedy....

My starfish died tragically today..... :cry2:

This starfish is red in colour and is around 4 inches big.

A few says ago its first leg started to drop off..... subsequently one by one by one all drop off.... This starfish is special . It has 7 legs..... before it died it left 3 legs.... all drop out by itself....

My question is this..... What can cause a starfish to drop off its leg by itself?

I need to know more abt this kind of inverts so that the same thing will not happen....

:thanks:

• SRC Member

i think the reason maybe you exposed the starfish to air maybe during buying it or transfering to tank

I read in some webby that starfish cannot be exposed to air.

I brought one starfish, red colour leg with mocha color body at Pasir Ris and during the transfering of the starfish from the bucket to the bag, the guy took out my starfish and expose it to air for 3-4 second before putting it into the bag. The very next day, its leg start to drop off and the body start to rot

• SRC Member
That starfish was never taken out of the tank at all leh....

Actually 3-4 sec shouldn't be a problem one leh.....

maybe.. but in my case, the exposing part where the guy took the starfish out by hand and put in the plastic bag should be the culprit.

anyway, dun think mantis would just attack its leg.if the mantis really attack, then the mantis would have drag the whole body into retreat to consume.

Maybe water parameter is stressing the starfish and thats why its losing its leg

I have a blue and chocolate chip starfish also. But they are doing very well leh.... And Blue starfish is the most sensitive starfish..... And they are the ones that supposed to die the fastest.....

If the water is something wrong, they will be affected too... but somehow they are not....

How do you spot a mantis shrimp? I can't seem to find it anywhere.... :angry:

:thanks: