My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

• SRC Member
2 fishes died inside. cannot see bodies....

surviving fishes all covered with white spots. (whole body)

your blastos half gone

starfish died and melting

..... hmmm need I say more?

Wat happened this time??? :upsidedown:

I thought your tank was doing well after u changed to using the artificial rocks? :eyeblur:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Wat happened this time??? :upsidedown:

I thought your tank was doing well after u changed to using the artificial rocks? :eyeblur:

no idea..... only about 2 weeks right? and I changed water last week.....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

oh no... :(

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

• SRC Member
no idea..... only about 2 weeks right? and I changed water last week.....

Funny leh...U got dose bio clean right? But last time did you siphon away all the dirt on your sandbed? If you didn't, then that would most probably be the cause of all your current problems.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Funny leh...U got dose bio clean right? But last time did you siphon away all the dirt on your sandbed? If you didn't, then that would most probably be the cause of all your current problems.

cannot be lah... i left a very very thin layer and during WC, I have been siphoning the sand

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

3 vial already.....

• SRC Member
cannot be lah... i left a very very thin layer and during WC, I have been siphoning the sand

The thing is that when u removed away most of your sand previously, you actually stirred up a lot of the shit burried in your thick sand bed previously and unless you have already siphoned away all these, then there might be a chance that they might have affected your fishes and corals. Anyway, for a nano tank, when 2 fishes and a starfish dies, you will probably get a nitrate spike already.

Did you check for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates in your tank? My worry is that since you replaced all your liverock with artificial rock, you might not have sufficient bacteria to breakdown the crap released from your dead fishes and starfish.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
3 vial already.....

3 vials is really a lot but I would still suggest testing your water parameters first and then decide on the next course of action.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

could be a case of "new tank syndrome"...due to drastic changes to the tank...i heard you have to slowly replaced the rocks, and not one-shot replaced them with new or artificial ones. Thus causing affecting yr biological system.

believe so... itchy backside.....

• SRC Member
no time to check already. doing emergency evacuation.....

oh no :( i m so sorry to hear what just happened to ur tank. :(

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

• SRC Member
believe so... itchy backside.....

So u going to do a major water change again? Putting all your corals in the buckets again??? :upsidedown:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Dose "live" bacteria, may be able to stabilise a bit...at least they can bring down the ammonia and start the biological cycle.

Bio Clean is actually live bacteria... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
ic..haha...i dun use these, that's y they sound alient to me...only heard of bio-chemical or biotherm.

u want to dose biotherm in your tank huh??? :eyebrow::whistle:rolleyes:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

haha.. i know arowana got some resale value... but marine fish kinda hard, unless there is a collector... but then, from wat i understand, this Candy Basslet is the 2nd one that reach our shore (dunno how true) since years ago..... so this may be the resale value... u hardly get this fish arriving. It takes RB some convincing to be done before our AVA allow them to ship in...... not easy.

Yes heard carmabi was brought in before, some time like 5 yrs ago. Personally din see it before though.

if that is the case, i think most likely got resale value..haha...keeping this fish alive will be a big challenge...esp in terms of temp requirement...

L.Carmabi is considered a very hardy and easy basslet. It does prefer low temp but not low in terms of some of the cold water fishes brought in. Anything not exceeding 27 should be fine for it to adapt.

This fish is is considered a deep water fish so it is more difficult to keep alive though it is not found at such deep depths like the klayi.

L.Carmabi has enjoyed great success in captivity. It's a v hardy and staple expensive import in Japan and HK.

Nah.. Marine fish never have that kind of resale value.. besides the resale of Arowana is actually higher as it grows bigger.. marine fish grow bigger still can only fetch the same price.. if lucky.. else ones thread will just be another long lingering post at the buy/sell forum.. See the Gem Tangs fate we know already..

As an avid arowana keeper before, i muz say arowana has also begin to lose its resale value in recent years. Esp big specimen, unless its a extremely gorgeous piece with perfect barbels and no defects like plj, dropeye etc, its v hard to sell.

there are some marine fishes with some resale value. although not alot. most especially seen in fairy wrasses, especially C. rhomboidalis, C. lineatus, C. laboutei and other upper tier wrasses. the longer you keep, the more alpha they become, the higher they command in the market.

Fairy wrasses are easy to resell becos they're the more popular fishes both in terms of species and its price range. Same for angels, it's easy to resell a healthy feeding goldflake at 250 but it'll much be harder to resell a clarion at 3k. Anything over 500 is hard to resell esp if the fish is not popular species like angels, wrasses or tangs. We hav a better market for corals than fishes here. Imagine if the gem tang is as rare and costs as much as a black tang at 400, do u think it'll not have resale value! So in general all expensive fishes like carmabi, L.Klayi, interruptus, clarion, conspic, gem etc will have lower resale value becos local market for these fishes is rather small and that explains the reluctance of some LFSs to bring in such fishes.

Hi Jacky, v nice nano tank u hav. May i know how big is your yellow tang and how it do in your 1.5 ft tank? Cos i'm thinking of downsizing to 2.5ft and keep a zebrasoma tang inside but worried the tank will be too small for it. Thank You.

• SRC Member

Oh no! Have you been monitoring the water parameters or did this happen suddenly? Sorry to hear about that, hope to hear updates on your tank status soon. :)

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

fishes die very quickly or not? whole body spots...ich or velvet? check spot size and abundance.

Hu Lemon

RG died like in 3rd day. 1st 2 Days ok. no signs of white spots.

Perc and yellow tang had white spots all over. its like dots speckled entire body. colour faded as well.

• SRC Member
Hu Lemon

RG died like in 3rd day. 1st 2 Days ok. no signs of white spots.

Perc and yellow tang had white spots all over. its like dots speckled entire body. colour faded as well.

So have you done your water change yet?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Hi Jacky, v nice nano tank u hav. May i know how big is your yellow tang and how it do in your 1.5 ft tank? Cos i'm thinking of downsizing to 2.5ft and keep a zebrasoma tang inside but worried the tank will be too small for it. Thank You.

For a minute I thought I as reading the wrong topic lol.

mine is about 2 inch and was bought from a reefer who was previously had kept it in a 2 ft x 1ft tank.

for a 2.5 ft should be ok. you will need to get those small ones.

Hey, keep me posted on your 2.5ft plan. I am thinking up upgrading too.

Oh no! Have you been monitoring the water parameters or did this happen suddenly? Sorry to hear about that, hope to hear updates on your tank status soon. :)

Been doing weekly change. Did not test water params. Kinda neglected in that aspect but believe it is due to the massive removal of live rocks and sand.... :(