Nutrafin Anti-Chlorine

terryansimon

my email to Hagen regarding the excessive foam produced by protein skimmers upon the introduction of Nutrafin Anti-Chlorine.

Hello there. I would just like to enquire on the following product and the effect is has on my protein skimmer. I am currently in the midst of setting up my marine tank, and after the positive result I've gotten from your anti-chlorine product for my freshwater, I decided to use it for my marine tank. Upon addition of the above mentioned into my tank, my protein skimmer started to foam a lot more than before. I had to reduce the air valve so as to lower the risk of spillage. I was just wondering why is this the case? I'm pretty sure its caused by the product as my skimmer was running fine on normal salt water which wasn't de-chlorinated for one week. After reading articles that the local government will be adding chloramine into the water supply, I decided to play safe and add in your product into the tank. Any help on the above mentioned will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Terrence Ryan Simon

their reply....

Dear Terrence Ryan Simon,

AquaPlus may produce, when added to aquarium water, a foaming action on

the surface.  This is because it changes the surface tension of water.  This is a

purely physical phenomenon.  AquaPlus contains PVP, a polymer (slime

coating agent) which alters the surface tension of water causing the

foaming phenomenon to occur.  The foaming action does not harm the fish,

it is an initial phenomenon and the foam dissipates readily with time as

it mixes with water.  It then provides a slime coat for the fish who are

stressed and may have lost their protective coating through various means.

Best Regards,

Steve Pond

Rolf C. Hagen Inc.

• SRC Member

PVP is Polyvinylpyrrolidone (Povidone).

Found in gels and hair sprays. Anything that requires viscosity.

My point of view is that protein skimmer users should avoid this product and switch to something else that doesn't foam. Our fish doesn't require that extra slime coat protection.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I don't know if it affects corals but it messes up the skimmer real bad.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

it fouls up my skimmer. well it fouled up. thats why I had to reduce my airflow for my AquaC to it was almost shut off. damn.

oh well.

martin...I'm using SeaChem Prime as a result. a bit expensive lah. $20 for a big bottle. I'm sure they have bigger ones but Petmart probably doesn't bring it in thats why.

Caclium_reef...no such problems for my freshwater. :P

• 5 months later...
So should I on the skimmer when adding nutrafin or off the skimmer for a few hours ?

I just added nutrafin and it already caused my skimmer to overwork :erm:

:thanks:

i mix the nutra fin into new water for water change, then pump it into the refugium n let it flow into the last chamber where my ps is..minimal foaming as compared to pumping it straight into the ps chamber..

hope this helps :)

• SRC Member

My 2cents when i used nutrafin my tank surface has so much foam that i got to change 70% of my water. And i cannot turn my skimmer on for 2 days.

I only add 2 cap or 10ml to 25liter of top up water...

:fear:

• SRC Member
I thought seachem prime is more ex than de-chlor? Dont tell me I kena tekok? I bought the de-chlor at $10 each

Erm let just say there is some discount now at petmart, that why i grab 6bottle of prime hehe..

Itis very very cheap now..

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member
it fouls up my skimmer. well it fouled up. thats why I had to reduce my airflow for my AquaC to it was almost shut off. damn.

oh well.

martin...I'm using SeaChem Prime as a result. a bit expensive lah. $20 for a big bottle. I'm sure they have bigger ones but Petmart probably doesn't bring it in thats why.

Caclium_reef...no such problems for my freshwater. :P

No wonder I had to adjust my prizm skimmer airflow (DIY airflow) to almost shut too. :angry:

I used it on fresh water in a big pail, leave it overnite minimun 24 hours. The water is for topping up of tank every nite.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Actually its not too bad a product.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread