Fishshop at chinatown...Qns bout pico reef tank

• SRC Member
Hope to get cheap equipments but not until the extent ill-treating the fishes or corals inside my tank. Trying to squeeze my wallet for 1.

If you really wanna try, can do as Jacky advised. But note it won't be easy and you might find that you have lost $$ because eventually not very successful, or worse tank crash.

It would be better if you save up more and go with a bigger tank. Easier to maintain and you will feel more satisfied,

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Just get a HOB filter and air stone skimmer.

If you stock lightly and is diligent in your husbandry, should be ok,

I used to have a pico and all I used is a ehiem liberty filter.

managed to keep a clown, purple goby and a shrimp in it.

No corals.

you can also consider getting a 2nd hand Red Sea Prizm skimmer.

not a fantastic product but should be good enough for a small tank.

With everything in, it should not cost you more than 150 to set up a simple pico.

PS : I have which I can let go to you at $60. This model comes with media basket and surface skimming attachment.

Actually if he is getting a 30x30x30 tank, also cannot use the Red Sea Prizm because it will take up quite a bit of space in the tank already. May have to use something like the weipro hangon skimmer which is small, cheap and pretty much useless. :upsidedown:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
If you really wanna try, can do as Jacky advised. But note it won't be easy and you might find that you have lost $$ because eventually not very successful, or worse tank crash.

It would be better if you save up more and go with a bigger tank. Easier to maintain and you will feel more satisfied,

Actually for small pico tanks, probably cannot keep corals unless he is going for mushies and zoas which are probably hardier but will also die off if the water parameters are out.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Actually if he is getting a 30x30x30 tank, also cannot use the Red Sea Prizm because it will take up quite a bit of space in the tank already. May have to use something like the weipro hangon skimmer which is small, cheap and pretty much useless. :upsidedown:

Red sea prizm will be a better choice as it is HOB skimmer. I tried weipro before, its not that good and reliable.

I saw the Tunze reefpack...it is costly, but a much better choice.

Otherwise, if budget is a constraint, just go for cannister w/o skimmer, like wat i m doing.

Sealife have a couple of new 2ft setups running on cannisters...can check them out.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Red sea prizm will be a better choice as it is HOB skimmer. I tried weipro before, its not that good and reliable.

I saw the Tunze reefpack...it is costly, but a much better choice.

Otherwise, if budget is a constraint, just go for cannister w/o skimmer, like wat i m doing.

Sealife have a couple of new 2ft setups running on cannisters...can check them out.

If FOWLR tank, then without skimmer is still ok. With corals, then must do frequent water changes to keep the nitrates down. But for pico tank, quite easy to do water changes... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
If FOWLR tank, then without skimmer is still ok. With corals, then must do frequent water changes to keep the nitrates down. But for pico tank, quite easy to do water changes... :eyebrow:

Let's not confuse TS for now. I think the msg we want to drive is tt for pico tank, start at your own risk.

Friend, Prizm is HOB lah. :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

I may be wrong, FOWLR tank will likely to have more nitrate and nitrate due to feeding and waste....hence a skimmer is recommended. For coral only, i think water change is recommended for clear and replenishment of elements. Open to correction. Happy reefing.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

I have used cannister before. a good alternative as well. remember to get surface extraction kit

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Hi Kim Kim, for your small setup, ask for second hand stuff, including sand, rock, etc. It will save you money. I have small liverocks, livesand, canister filter and prism skimmer for sales 2 as i am decomming my QT tanks. For sand and rock, it will be free. For those hang on filter, canister filter, or prism skimmer, i will be selling with a small token, if you are interested. : )

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

there are sure many good reefers who share. I also got dead and live sand also. However, i do understand collection without transport will be a headache. : )

Algae Scrubbler

looks like we should be expecting your tank thread soon Kimkim.

and welcome to the "family" :)

thanks every1..its nice hearing so mani comment from everyone..and even some offers to give me freeble sands and rocks =)

I hope to js keep 2 fish 2 prawn & 1 coral with live sand and rocks..is it even possible?considering my idea tank size is only so small?hmm..

do think tat a HOB filter with skimmer will be nice coz save spaces..my buget is ard $300 i guess.Hope to continue reading ard here.Prehapes will go look for a book for setting up a reef tank oso tmr..but gonna wait until bonus comes then start the whole project i guess..hope i can eventually post some pics of my own tank here 1 day oso.

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Supporter
don't go there bro, i stay woodlands too.. for livestocks, the nearest to us is actually CoralFarm or LCK, both at lim chu kang, provided you drive.. alternatively you can go Aquamarin at paya lebar.. these are the better nearer ones to us north-ers.. :)

sounds funny, looks like upper serangoon and upper thompson is much nearer than paya lebar by both car and mrt/bus

care to explain? :whistle

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
sounds funny, looks like upper serangoon and upper thompson is much nearer than paya lebar by both car and mrt/bus

care to explain? :whistle

bro kimkim looking for fishes mah, upper serangoon is GO but sell only corals, not much use to bro kimkim, den what's at upper thomson? havent been to upper thomson b4, didn't know there got marine shop? :) somemore AM sells equipment and fishes, convenient for him to take a look thats why.. :) anyway kimkim do keep us updated on your progress!

happy reefing!

• SRC Supporter

ic,but he did not mention he looking for fish.. thats why i wonder why u skip both lfs which is nearer.

i also din know AM move to paya lebar. good thing u mention here when i view this thread.

as for upper thompson. maybe u can venture with bro kim lah.. can explore together since there is lfs u yet to venture.

will be fun ;)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
ic,but he did not mention he looking for fish.. thats why i wonder why u skip both lfs which is nearer.

i also din know AM move to paya lebar. good thing u mention here when i view this thread.

as for upper thompson. maybe u can venture with bro kim lah.. can explore together since there is lfs u yet to venture.

will be fun ;)

thanks bro reddevils! maybe can meet up with bro kim since we live so near.. :lol: ya AM moved liao, sadded, preferred it when it was at jalan kayu, easier to access, right beside expressway, got supper there somemore.. :rolleyes:

if want to buy livestock, i will recommend farm visits(pasir ris) and for equipment, 328. At times, travelling abit is worth the effort. Well, there are helpful reefers who can bring you round or tonpang you to farm visit. : )

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Supporter
thanks bro reddevils! maybe can meet up with bro kim since we live so near.. :lol: ya AM moved liao, sadded, preferred it when it was at jalan kayu, easier to access, right beside expressway, got supper there somemore.. :rolleyes:

i live quite far from you guys,im at clementi area. LOL!

but then, for reefing anywhere also can go 1 right? :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

I've not had the pleasure of tompanging with any of the bros here, but the freshwater guys over at AQ do it quite regularly.

Usualyl begins by randomly stumbling into forum bros at LFS, then they will anyhow start chio people along to go visit other LFS, had quite a few amusing weekends that way, hehehe.

Some became full day round the island tours almost.

Starting at Bendemeer area, then to Thompson area before heading over to Clementi side.

Looking forward to meeting more of you guys when I restart my tank next year.