MaxSpect LED

jackywongto

Just wondering how many folks are using this light now.

Will be good to know how our tank is holding up using this light and to share tips and concerns if any.

Pls add in your nick and model below

- jackywongto - 110W

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Wow new club arising the MaxSpect LED club opps sorry i'm not one yet :upsidedown:

what are you waiting for :P

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Just wondering how many folks are using this light now.

Will be good to know how our tank is holding up using this light and to share tips and concerns if any.

Pls add in your nick and model below

- jackywongto - 110W

Let me joint club too.

- jackywongto - 110W

- new_new - 160W x 2

Tank Spec :

Display tank : 48" x 24" x 18."'(H)

Sump tank : 25" x 23" x 18"(H)

Return pump : Reef Octopus 8000

Wave Maker : Vortech MP10Wes

Lighting : DIY LED (Cree led) 60 bulb

Chiller : helia 55hs

Skimmer : BM Curve 7

Controller : Reef Angel

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new owner of 110w.

this light has a lot in its favor, the color (14k) and intensity is there,and the built in timer is so cool.all for a very good price, almost too low to be true. Love it!

Owners: pls add on what u personally like about it..

• SRC Member

personally after using for 4-5days...i can't really say i like it very much or i dislike it. the main thing is that, the colours of my corals dun look that great under maxspect as compared to T5 which allows me to have several combinations of ATI and VHO tubes.

some pple may like the shimmering effect, but to me, i'm not that particular...T5 will give a more uniform spread of PAR. but after using maxspect 60w, the extreme right and left corners dun get that much light intensity as the center portion. good thing is, i dun keep SPS..and my corners are low light demand corals like mushrooms and suns.

it will take some time for T5 users to get use to using LED and for yr corals to get used to it also...as during the first day..my corals did not open as big as before until the 3rd day...after getting use to the new lighting.

if you ask me which one will i choose between MH & LED...i will choose LED...unless you are not particular abt electricity cost and heat.

post-15124-1261482828_thumb.jpg

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

I agree that the transition from T5s to LEDs (MaxSpect) will take some time getting used to. Its actually less bluish to my eyes compared to my T5 combo (ATI Aquablue Special x2, ATI Blue+ x1 & ATI Actinic x1). I do not experience any issues with my corals as I use light diffusers to acclimatize them to the more intense lighting. As my tank consists of mainly zoas, with just the blue LEDs on, the effects are really stunning.

To answer bro straydum's question, if it does not impact my corals negatively, I will not replace the LEDs, but only time will tell.

i agree, its such a new product, only time will tell as to reliability issues. i do wonder of cos, since its so low priced compared to other leds, what actually gives??

as to performance and build, i cant be more pleased.its like mh without the heat,strongly suited for nanos.

i agree, its such a new product, only time will tell as to reliability issues. i do wonder of cos, since its so low priced compared to other leds, what actually gives??

as to performance and build, i cant be more pleased.its like mh without the heat,strongly suited for nanos.

T5 will give a more uniform spread of PAR. but after using maxspect 60w, the extreme right and left corners dun get that much light intensity as the center portion. good thing is, i dun keep SPS..and my corners are low light demand corals like mushrooms and suns.

how big is your tank Siang.

Prob you shld have bought the 110W instead?

I am using the 110W on a 1.5ft cube.

The PAR is uniform throughout the tank.

just a question to all owners, have you all have plans to change bulbs every 18-30 months? thats the only thing thats holding me back from getting one :paiseh:

Bro,

Do not think the data is right.

Most LED can last 100,000 running hours and so how can be 30 months?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

personally after using for 4-5days...i can't really say i like it very much or i dislike it. the main thing is that, the colours of my corals dun look that great under maxspect as compared to T5 which allows me to have several combinations of ATI and VHO tubes.

some pple may like the shimmering effect, but to me, i'm not that particular...T5 will give a more uniform spread of PAR. but after using maxspect 60w, the extreme right and left corners dun get that much light intensity as the center portion. good thing is, i dun keep SPS..and my corners are low light demand corals like mushrooms and suns.

it will take some time for T5 users to get use to using LED and for yr corals to get used to it also...as during the first day..my corals did not open as big as before until the 3rd day...after getting use to the new lighting.

if you ask me which one will i choose between MH & LED...i will choose LED...unless you are not particular abt electricity cost and heat.

Should not have this issue unless your light set is not meant for your tank length.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
Should not have this issue unless your light set is not meant for your tank length.

Yup..should have went for the 110W. So far, quite alright...but 110w will be perfect!

The main selling pt of LED is the minimal heat and electricty consumption...you can switch on for more than 10hrs and it will not affect yr temp compared to MH & T5. It's now more affordable thanks to mass production and increasing demand of such technology. But it will not take long for reefers to accept LED...prices have went down a lot.

l7304smr.jpg

you can dim the lights for yr model...you dun have to worry much abt "overpowering" for LED...coz the lights its not as "sharp" as MH.

You mean 160W can dim? How can I do it?

As I also use 160W but it seem not dimmable.

Tank Spec :

You mean 160W can dim? How can I do it?

As I also use 160W but it seem not dimmable.

not that I know of.

MaxSpect is not dimmable.

Just wondering can it support up to 4ft tank (with 2.5 ft height) ?

Currently I use 160W model for 2.5 ft height. So far LPS like prata open quite well. For 4 ft you may need to consider 2 set.

Tank Spec :