my 2ft tank

regularguy

• SRC Member

Hi, this is my 2ft tank of 1year. Haven't got a chance to post it due to lack of DC. But anyway, here goes....

nothing fantastic. i think you can see all that's in my tank from just the whole tank view. It's 2 ft including IOS. So deducting that space for IOS, its 19"(L) x 12"(W) x 18"(H)... approxiamtely 15g

LS:2 x maroon clown

1 x tomato clown

1 x blue tang

1 x lawnmower blenny

1 x coral banded shrimp (not in pic)

all with the exception of blue tang have been with me for at least 6 months

Corals: pretty much just mushroom plus sunflower

Filtration: 4" DSB

about 8kg of LR

1 ehiem 2213 stocked with small packet of rowaphos

that's about it. No skimmer. Just plainly running water over cotton for mechanical filtration in IOS.

Lighting : 1 x 36W 10k

1 x 15W coralife actinic

post-34-1071413103.jpg

• SRC Member

Is that red mushroom below the tang?

Nice colour. :)

btw, your maroon clown paired? dun they fight?

yup... that's a red mushroom.

the 2 maroon is not paired when i bought. my friend gave me one and somehow they just pair up. and the tomato was added at the same time as the maroon so there's no major fight between all 3 of them.

:lol:

• SRC Member

some parts of the sun coral have died off. not sure how i can improve its condition also. isn't it a coral that doesn't need much light?

Yes, but it requires alot of personal attention

You got to feed every individual members for them to strive <_<

I won't have such patient :pinch::snore:

dino07.gif

bro...what you have there has a lot of potential...I take it at this moment your are still stocking....try to compliment your mushies with sme bright colour zoos...the effect will be quite stunning ;)

• SRC Member
bro...what you have there has a lot of potential...I take it at this moment your are still stocking....try to compliment your mushies with sme bright colour zoos...the effect will be quite stunning ;)

sorry to disappoint, but i have cut down actually. Cos i am in my final year uni and workload is quite heavy. So maybe i will start stocking again next june.

Anyway with regards to the potential to stock, i would say its quite limited as the tank is rather small. :)

• SRC Member
Lighting : 1 x 36W 10k

1 x 15W coralife actinic

Is the total light intensity sufficient for your tank? I tried sm of the online calculator and it indicate that a 2X1X1ft tank easy require ard 150W! Dun kw hw reliable the online calculator is! Can anyone advice on hw to decide on the total amount of wattage required base on tank size?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Is the total light intensity sufficient for your tank? I tried sm of the online calculator and it indicate that a 2X1X1ft tank easy require ard 150W! Dun kw hw reliable the online calculator is! Can anyone advice on hw to decide on the total amount of wattage required base on tank size?

:thanks:

You don't use tank size to determine the amount of light you need. You should be using what corals you want to keep to decide the amount of light needed. As for my mushrooms, they are not light demanding, hence the choice of lights i use. Furthermore i think you have calculated wrongly as 150W will overheat a 2ft tank unless you have a chiller.

The calculation of watt/gallon for lighting is a outdated way of calculating intensity of light needed. For eg, keeping a light demanding coral (acropora) in a one gallon tank but using 15W FL will give you 15W/gallon but you can't expect to keep it alive right?

;)

• SRC Member

You don't use tank size to determine the amount of light you need. You should be using what corals you want to keep to decide the amount of light needed. As for my mushrooms, they are not light demanding, hence the choice of lights i use. Furthermore i think you have calculated wrongly as 150W will overheat a 2ft tank unless you have a chiller.

The calculation of watt/gallon for lighting is a outdated way of calculating intensity of light needed. For eg, keeping a light demanding coral (acropora) in a one gallon tank but using 15W FL will give you 15W/gallon but you can't expect to keep it alive right?

;)

Wah.... so chim.... I thought that the ideal watt per gallon is ard 3 watt! So it depends on yr experience with the type of coral u intend 2 keep? Ten quite risky 2 invest in lighting since it hard to tell this way! sign..... :(

• SRC Member

150watt for a 15 gallon tank? thats 10watt per gallon! wah you thinking of putting SPS in your tank. Normaly even SPS dont use so much. Think even those SPS reefers use like 400 watt for a 3 footer which has like more than 4 time the volume of a 2x1x1 tank.

Normally the rule of thumb is to use between 3-5watt per gallon of water. As it is very hard to determin brightness without photo equipement. So normally use watt as a guide. Unless you are keeping light demanding corals like SPS etc... the above rule would be ok. So a 15gallon tank requires roughly 45 - 75watt of lighting.

The lighting will change with height too. The higher the water, the less light penetrate so the more light you need.