First timer marine tank

xaine

Been luring around here for long enough.....

After spending so many years admiring marine tanks, finally took the challenge in seting up my first "newbie" marine tank.

Using some of the freshwater principles and lots of reading into marine, here it goes.

Decided to reuse some of the equipment I used for freshwater.

Nisso 2x1x1.5

Fluval 304

Weipro 2011

The sand bed is 2.5-3" thick.

P1240531-1.jpg

It was left running for a week before I sourced for live rocks.

So far the skimmer, powered by the fluval 304, is churning out well.

Gotten hold of alot of live rocks (thanks to a bro here), so I put everything in before the bacteria dies.

P1240540.jpg

After letting it run for a while, decided that the rocks are just too many.

So I utilise the bottom tank, it might turn out to be my refrigium later.

P1240559.jpg

P1240564.jpg

Arcadia coral blue light (FL tube)

P1240565.jpg

I'm using a 55W PL, is it too bright ? I guess so.

Will be building a overflow pipe to connect up both tanks later. (maybe after CNY)

From my newbie experience, thinking what rocks to use is a chore, and placing them around to create caves (without collapsing is tedious)

Looks like I need more running in before things can add livestock.

Since it's going to be a FOWLR tank (at least for now), I guess just fan will do

Might utilise a spare chiller if I decide to start playing with corals later.

Some questions, is having too much rock in the refrigium bad ? As in, if there isn't enough ammonia, nitrite for the bacteria to breakup, they would still die off eventually ?

Some comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Since you have a refugium tank below....the outlet from yr cannister can go there and buy a return pump to bring water back to the main tank. 2000-2500 litre pump strength is good enough...probably will cost you around $80-$100 depending on the brand. Rio pump will be cheaper alternative.

And you can place yr skimmer at the refugium tank below.

For lightings, better to go for T5 or LED if you have the budget.

Try to use "live" rocks for yr main tank rather than yr current dead rocks...and i think it is still too many.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

welcome to the reefing hobby where your wallet will always be empty but you will always be happy.. hahaha

firstly.. i think you have more dead coral skeleton then LR.. Having more LR is good as it is nature way of reducing nitrates..

good choice with fluval as it is quite a good filter.. however do note that you have to clean it frequently else all the dirt will be stuck there causing nitrate to build up... if you are planning to run a sump would suggest you to do that first before adding any LS...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

As Ray mentioned, most of your rocks are actually coral skeletons. Try to get more live rocks from a LFS or get from anyone selling in the pasar malan section. As for the coral skeletons, I would propose throwing them away as they do not serve much purpose in your tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
As Ray mentioned, most of your rocks are actually coral skeletons. Try to get more live rocks from a LFS or get from anyone selling in the pasar malan section. As for the coral skeletons, I would propose throwing them away as they do not serve much purpose in your tank.

Certain coral skeleton are good to populate pods which is a food source for small fishes and fussy eater like mandrins... IMO.. =]

*not that my tank have much pods anyway.. hahahaha

• SRC Member
Certain coral skeleton are good to populate pods which is a food source for small fishes and fussy eater like mandrins... IMO.. =]

*not that my tank have much pods anyway.. hahahaha

Since he has a refugium, the pods should be cultivated there instead of the main tank... :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Thanks

Actually, I've move a huge bulk of LRs into the refrigium. So I guess I'll rearrange. (not going to be the liking of my wife...lol...she prefers seeing the nicer coral fragments instead of rocks).

But since I'm going to link up both tanks, then the LRs in the refrigium will be put to work.

The cleaning of detritus is going to be a hassle, I guess canister isn't a good option. But since I don't have much space, I'm going to live with cleaning the filter wools often.

• SRC Member
Thanks

Actually, I've move a huge bulk of LRs into the refrigium. So I guess I'll rearrange. (not going to be the liking of my wife...lol...she prefers seeing the nicer coral fragments instead of rocks).

But since I'm going to link up both tanks, then the LRs in the refrigium will be put to work.

The cleaning of detritus is going to be a hassle, I guess canister isn't a good option. But since I don't have much space, I'm going to live with cleaning the filter wools often.

i was running a 2 ft tank previously with prizm skimmer and fluval 304... not doubt that the fluval is a good canister, i do not believe that a canister is very suitable filtration system due to the fact that it requires alot of cleaning as detritus build up in a canister is quite rapid...

since you have plans to link up both tanks i would definately suggest you to do so ASAP..

convince your wife that you need to do a proper setup so that your system (including chiller) allows corals to be kept.. they are much nicer then the skeletons! =]

also i think its a good idea to leave more of the skeleton and LR in your bottom tank.. =]

• SRC Member
Thanks

If possible in the future, get a better skimmer and do away with the canister..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Cannister is used for putting in your filtration media such as filter wool, carbon and phosphate media like ROWA. Skimmer is to skim out the protein and other dirt in your tank. Do away with the cannister only if you are going to use a FR instead. A better skimmer is necessary if you intend to keep corals. Otherwise for a fowlr, may not be that necessary.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

i was running a 2 ft tank previously with prizm skimmer and fluval 304... not doubt that the fluval is a good canister, i do not believe that a canister is very suitable filtration system due to the fact that it requires alot of cleaning as detritus build up in a canister is quite rapid...

since you have plans to link up both tanks i would definately suggest you to do so ASAP..

convince your wife that you need to do a proper setup so that your system (including chiller) allows corals to be kept.. they are much nicer then the skeletons! =]

also i think its a good idea to leave more of the skeleton and LR in your bottom tank.. =]

Going to spend some time sourcing for PVC pipes to start the overflow construction.

I think then, I'll need to think of how the whole flow might be.

So far, for now, is overflow from top to bottom, canister inlet at the bottom, then back to the skimmer on top and back to the tank.

Maybe I should add another pump somewhere or change the flow. But another pump is going to add temperature to the tanks.

I might need to activate my spare chiller to do some work.

Will make do with the current space constrains and plan for a sump in the next setup.

Well, a first timer tank, so going to learn from the process now.

Cannister is used for putting in your filtration media such as filter wool, carbon and phosphate media like ROWA. Skimmer is to skim out the protein and other dirt in your tank. Do away with the cannister only if you are going to use a FR instead. A better skimmer is necessary if you intend to keep corals. Otherwise for a fowlr, may not be that necessary.

Yup, for now, it's going to be FOWLR until I'm more settled with everything. Corals, I've read requires a lot more attention than just fishes with rocks, so that will wait :)

• SRC Member
Going to spend some time sourcing for PVC pipes to start the overflow construction.

I think then, I'll need to think of how the whole flow might be.

So far, for now, is overflow from top to bottom, canister inlet at the bottom, then back to the skimmer on top and back to the tank.

Maybe I should add another pump somewhere or change the flow. But another pump is going to add temperature to the tanks.

I might need to activate my spare chiller to do some work.

Will make do with the current space constrains and plan for a sump in the next setup.

Well, a first timer tank, so going to learn from the process now.

So u are going to connect the cannister outlet to the skimmer inlet??? :upsidedown: Better way I think would be to get a Prizm HOB skimmer and hang it in your refugium. Then your cannister outlet will be in your refugium also. The water back to your tank should be via a return pump.

To reduce the heat, install a clip on fan in your refugium and also your main tank. Don't get those CPU fans...get the big ones at the supermarts, ard 25w type. This will be able to maintain your water temp at ard 28 degC but take note that your evaporation rate will be quite high. Maybe ard 2L per day.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Yup, for now, it's going to be FOWLR until I'm more settled with everything. Corals, I've read requires a lot more attention than just fishes with rocks, so that will wait :)

FOWLR is definately easier because you need not moniter your nitrates and phosphates so much as fishes are able to survive even in 100ppm+ nitrates for a long period of time. For corals, you will have to moniter and maintain your nitrates below 10ppm and phosphates below 0.1ppm. Temperature wise, most Indo corals will be able to survive at ard 28-29 degC.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
So u are going to connect the cannister outlet to the skimmer inlet??? :upsidedown: Better way I think would be to get a Prizm HOB skimmer and hang it in your refugium. Then your cannister outlet will be in your refugium also. The water back to your tank should be via a return pump.

To reduce the heat, install a clip on fan in your refugium and also your main tank. Don't get those CPU fans...get the big ones at the supermarts, ard 25w type. This will be able to maintain your water temp at ard 28 degC but take note that your evaporation rate will be quite high. Maybe ard 2L per day.

+1 on the prizm skimmer.. the skimmer pump is external as well so it will not add much heat to your water... with a prizm skimmer, your canister return can be directed straight to your tank and you should be able to do without an addidtional pump for circulation for the time being till you start on corals..

FOWLR is definately easier because you need not moniter your nitrates and phosphates so much as fishes are able to survive even in 100ppm+ nitrates for a long period of time. For corals, you will have to moniter and maintain your nitrates below 10ppm and phosphates below 0.1ppm. Temperature wise, most Indo corals will be able to survive at ard 28-29 degC.

Nice temperature, will see which tropical corals I can live with (don't tempt me so fast)

Will decide on how the whole flow might go, to so much options. :thanks:

+1 on the prizm skimmer.. the skimmer pump is external as well so it will not add much heat to your water... with a prizm skimmer, your canister return can be directed straight to your tank and you should be able to do without an addidtional pump for circulation for the time being till you start on corals..

Hmm..but I've read that it's pretty noisy ? Let me go check it out.

• SRC Member
Nice temperature, will see which tropical corals I can live with (don't tempt me so fast)

Will decide on how the whole flow might go, to so much options. :thanks:

Practically most LPS and softies other than SPS.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Hmm..but I've read that it's pretty noisy ? Let me go check it out.

There is definately a bit of noise but not so noisy that it irritates you big time... :eyebrow::whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

if you put it for that use, then do away with the filter wool.. its not necessary... seriously.. the skimmer does that job already..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Actually i think if your wife likes the coral skeleton, no harm keeping some... However, i do agree with what most of the guys say, you have too much rocks and need better lighting.

hmmm, 55W for a fowlr isn't enough ? I was thinking it was too bright, just afraid the wrong type of algea starts infesting soon.

if you put it for that use, then do away with the filter wool.. its not necessary... seriously.. the skimmer does that job already..

was thinking about that, going to let the detritus break down by itself and have it dissolve in the water and have the skimmer pick up the mess.

• SRC Member
hmmm, 55W for a fowlr isn't enough ? I was thinking it was too bright, just afraid the wrong type of algea starts infesting soon.

was thinking about that, going to let the detritus break down by itself and have it dissolve in the water and have the skimmer pick up the mess.

55W should be sufficient for a FOWLR tank.

Letting the detritus breakdown may not be a good idea because when this happens, you are going to foul up your water. Using a filter sock at your return piping might be a better way to remove the detritus.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Letting the detritus breakdown may not be a good idea because when this happens, you are going to foul up your water. Using a filter sock at your return piping might be a better way to remove the detritus.

Good idea :idea::idea::idea: , I think I'll add a cloth based filter to the output of the overflow pipe, since most of the waste is from top down.