Taking Care of Yumas

Solo77

Since this week, yuma shipment coming in, newbies likely to chiong for the shipment. Hope snr or experienced reefers in yuma can give general guide to take care of them. My understanding is some yumas are more sensitive and melt away more easily than mushrooms and ric. Cheers.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Since this week, yuma shipment coming in, newbies likely to chiong for the shipment. Hope snr or experienced reefers in yuma can give general guide to take care of them. My understanding is some yumas are more sensitive and melt away more easily than mushrooms and ric. Cheers.

justin <-- newbie and likely welcoming the shipment van at the gate.

From what i know, low water flow and low to moderate lights? place on rocks rather than sands so they can expand and make more babies?

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

• SRC Member

Yumas need low light and low flow. Place on sandbed will be best. Water temp required is 29 degC and below. No feeding required as they are very slow feeders and most likely your fishes and shrimps will ge the food before they can even begin to eat them.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

I got one yuma that like strong lights and do have Yumas melting on me with low lights. Just personal experience.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

yuma husbandry

imho, my pink yuma need strong lights and nutrients LADEN water. few years back, maybe in the year 2004, I brought a few stunning pink and purple yuma from ML. My no3 is around 20-30 and they are growing very Well.. yes, my mh is 250 + 150x2 and my yumas are growing so well that they split from 3 to 6 and 7 in no time. However due to my itchy backside, i deployed a better skimmer, hns 2 pump skimmer. and my no3 somehow drop from 30 to 10 and all my yumas melt and that was the end of my pink yuma. Even brother jmng pink yuma suffered in his pristine water.

so i guess they simply love those "dirty" water. 2 cents

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
yuma husbandry

imho, my pink yuma need strong lights and nutrients LADEN water. few years back, maybe in the year 2004, I brought a few stunning pink and purple yuma from ML. My no3 is around 20-30 and they are growing very Well.. yes, my mh is 250 + 150x2 and my yumas are growing so well that they split from 3 to 6 and 7 in no time. However due to my itchy backside, i deployed a better skimmer, hns 2 pump skimmer. and my no3 somehow drop from 30 to 10 and all my yumas melt and that was the end of my pink yuma. Even brother jmng pink yuma suffered in his pristine water.

There was a discussion on RC previously regarding nutrient rich water and the concensus there was that nutrient rich water does not equate to water with high NO3 and PO4 levels. In fact, the concensus was that nutrient rich water is water that has a lot of food particules floating in the tank but where the No3 levels is less than 5ppm. According to them, this would approximate the conditions the corals live in the sea where you can see a lot of particules and the NO3 is still at 0ppm.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
yuma husbandry

I can more or less say this is true to my experience. I've had yumas thrive and multiply in NO3 rich water (20 to 30ppm), only to melt or bleach in pristine water when my system improved.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

in my experience,

low flow. too high flow will cause the bubbles to become very small, and make the yuma float away.

too high light will cause it to bo tai bo qi bleach and die, whereas too low light will cause the yuma to bleach too, and float away to more favourable conditions.

ime, pink yumas harder to keep than other colours. i think most reefers also experience this.

with regards to NO3 issue, my tank is nutrient rich and the yumas grow and spread like a disease. now the NO3 is much much lower, and still they continue to grow. so i can't say if no3 has anythign to do with growth.

so far all the yumas i keep seem to do well, and i find them easy. although not as easy as rics. i put them in medium lighting, and low to medium flow. but not too direct.

bro solo you're right. some yumas more sensitive. i tried pink and white (not bleached) yumas, and they melt easily even when placed in same location with other hardier yumas.

• SRC Member
I can more or less say this is true to my experience. I've had yumas thrive and multiply in NO3 rich water (20 to 30ppm), only to melt or bleach in pristine water when my system improved.

My experience is a bit different from yours. I find that my Yumas grow much larger when they get less light and also when my NO3 went down from 10-25 to 2.5-5ppm. Anyway, my Yumas are all on my sandbed.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Good that everyone is sharing as i think no right or wrong. So with the knowledge and experience shared, newbies can always find their FAQs answered, if not, then just shoot in the forum for ppl to help. : )

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

yeah maybe my skimmer perform much better causing the water to be better... and the yuma melt.. maybe algae scrubber user may have good chances with yuma

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

IME

they do bleach when your parameters swing too much.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
in my experience,

low flow. too high flow will cause the bubbles to become very small, and make the yuma float away.

too high light will cause it to bo tai bo qi bleach and die, whereas too low light will cause the yuma to bleach too, and float away to more favourable conditions.

ime, pink yumas harder to keep than other colours. i think most reefers also experience this.

with regards to NO3 issue, my tank is nutrient rich and the yumas grow and spread like a disease. now the NO3 is much much lower, and still they continue to grow. so i can't say if no3 has anythign to do with growth.

so far all the yumas i keep seem to do well, and i find them easy. although not as easy as rics. i put them in medium lighting, and low to medium flow. but not too direct.

bro solo you're right. some yumas more sensitive. i tried pink and white (not bleached) yumas, and they melt easily even when placed in same location with other hardier yumas.

no wonder my pink yuma up the lorry within one week....i din know pink yuma is so fragile...kow...

l7304smr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Basically they are very hardy with exception of the pink, red and blue and maybe some other insane color.. These 3 colors are very demanding and not easy to handle.. They are sensitive to light changes, water patameter and temp... Tried all 3, melted eventually.. Pink and red like high light, but you have to take into consideration of the light in the lfs and yours... It is always better to let the yumas get used to the lighting and not blast it directly with all your light.. put it under shade den slowly move it out over the week.. works well for me.. For blue yumas, it is more sensitive to temp if not wrong, becos mine only lasted me a few months.. my temp was 28.. Haven seen a true blue yumas again to try.. The weird multicolor are difficult tovkeep too but only kept a few before, they have different preference..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp