keeping Anemones and Clams

Hey all,

i was told the lights might be coming in end of this week, which is a good news, i've been waiting for the lights since December! now i can start planning for LS that requires lights.

First of all, the tank is a 3 by 1.5 by 2.

Currently stock with 5 common clowns, 4 firedart, 1 6-line wrasse and 1 yellow tang.

i am thinking of buying another blue tang or yellowtail tang, and another flame angel to complete the fish list.

i am also thinking of buying 2 or 3 anemones eventually and maybe 3 clams.

this is the hard part.

1) I don't know much about keeping anemones and clams. Especially clams, coz internet has a lot of information on anemones.

2) can anyone tell me or give me some pointers on the parameters that i need to have, before i even go and buy the anemones or clams?

3) I am using the 110 w maxspect lights. how high should i place the clams?

4) so many questions, dunno what else i need to know..

appreciate all help and advice!

• SRC Member
Hey all,

i was told the lights might be coming in end of this week, which is a good news, i've been waiting for the lights since December! now i can start planning for LS that requires lights.

First of all, the tank is a 3 by 1.5 by 2.

Currently stock with 5 common clowns, 4 firedart, 1 6-line wrasse and 1 yellow tang.

i am thinking of buying another blue tang or yellowtail tang, and another flame angel to complete the fish list.

i am also thinking of buying 2 or 3 anemones eventually and maybe 3 clams.

this is the hard part.

1) I don't know much about keeping anemones and clams. Especially clams, coz internet has a lot of information on anemones.

2) can anyone tell me or give me some pointers on the parameters that i need to have, before i even go and buy the anemones or clams?

3) I am using the 110 w maxspect lights. how high should i place the clams?

4) so many questions, dunno what else i need to know..

if u want to keep anemone , get it first before the clams. allow the anemone to settle down first or else it will move around and maybe kill ur clams

do add carbon filter also.

appreciate all help and advice!

• SRC Supporter

Carbon is not a MUST to have in your tank, but of course it is good to have as it will it help to removes odors, removes color, and makes aquarium water clear ect..

Try to place your clam as high as possible near to the light as it require strong lighting , whereas for anemones it require moderate flow and lighting and once it anchore into one spot just try not to move it anymore.

However, do pay attention in getting one which is healthy, and if possible feed with market prawn once or twice a week.

Thanks HM...

could you advise me of a few things?

1) for a new tank say about 3 months old. is there any danger getting a clam or an anemone?

The parameters of the water is ANN = 0,0,12.5

2) What are the water parameters that i should at least maintain for anemones and clams?

Thanks again!

hi pweesng

about clams:

- Try to get larger specimen - 3 inch and above. These bigger ones can make food using light. For smaller ones, you will need to feed them with phytoplankton more regularly.

- Once you put a clam on a location, try not to touch it anymore. best is to put them on sandbed with the mantle facing upwards to the light.

- If you want to put them on a rock, then you need to make sure that it will not drop somewhere inside any caves where it is then unaccessible.

- once it has bonded to a rock, do not force and pull it out. Best is to leave it and the lesser you move it, the better.

- Keep your PH higher at 8.2 - 8.3 and likewise for your calcium - 420. If the clam is growing, you should see that the edge of the shell will be white colour. These are new growth of the shell.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

hi pweesng

about clams:

- Try to get larger specimen - 3 inch and above. These bigger ones can make food using light. For smaller ones, you will need to feed them with phytoplankton more regularly.

- Once you put a clam on a location, try not to touch it anymore. best is to put them on sandbed with the mantle facing upwards to the light.

- If you want to put them on a rock, then you need to make sure that it will not drop somewhere inside any caves where it is then unaccessible.

- once it has bonded to a rock, do not force and pull it out. Best is to leave it and the lesser you move it, the better.

- Keep your PH higher at 8.2 - 8.3 and likewise for your calcium - 420. If the clam is growing, you should see that the edge of the shell will be white colour. These are new growth of the shell.

hi bro don't really get u of the bigger clam can make food for their consumption as well for others coral??

sorry as i've not keep any clam nor their story as well

missed out this thread, sorry.

- small clams need very regular feeding of phytoplankton. that is their main diet. Larger clam still depends on phytoplankton as their main source of food but they can supplement their diet with their zooxanthellae tissue on their mantle. Thus clams requires pretty strong lighting.

So no. They do not produce food for other corals. It is for their own consumption.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Clams do take in nitrate but think that it is not really significant in our tanks...

For anemone,

The down side for carpet is that they are really sticky and get really big... It is difficult to find small ones but still obtainable... It is quite a dangerous anemone I would say... Most fishes will steer clear of it... They dun really move a lot once they settle down, it depend on which species you are having.. From what I experience... Haddoni like to stay on the sand and Gigantea more to the cervice of the rocks...

BTA, a very unpredictable anemone, the one i kept alive was a RBTA which goes into hiding after 6months... Once settled it is very unlikely to move but a minor change in light and flow, it will move immediately... It is more likely to settle on rock cervice too...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp