My Slice of Ocean

divinesloth

A little bit about my piping...

post-231-1269579509473_thumb.jpg

One big pipe for the water to flow down and one smaller pipe for water to go up. There are no valves.

post-231-12695795488849_thumb.jpg

No Durso so water just gush down into the overflow. I love the sound of water but not my family. The evil bio-balls are there to cushion the noise.

post-231-12695796315694_thumb.jpg

AB7000 in the foreground. Very strong pump creating very strong flow...how could anyone do flow that is more than 10x the volume? Wouldn't that make the tank a washing machine?

AB1000 in the background will be the feed pump to the H&S.

post-231-12695797640732_thumb.jpg

Artica 1/4hp chiller to cool the tank.

That is like all the equipments I have at the moment. Pretty low tech. Budget...budget...budget :P

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

bro.. you can try to place a slanted piece of acrylic from the overflow to the sponge below.. the water would be able to flow dpwn and will reduce a little of the noise but would still have some noise for your listening pleasure.. lol

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Your equipments consider above average already...

AB7000 is quite powerful....i wd say is the optimum...i'm running mine with 5,000l/hr.

Hi AhSiang, its a 2nd hand AB7000. $150 only. Its a steal!

bro your compositions all v. nice :)

anyway, ever considered replacing the bio balls with biohome?

Hi comycus, wouldn't BioHome also cause No3? Thanks for the compliment :)

bro.. you can try to place a slanted piece of acrylic from the overflow to the sponge below.. the water would be able to flow dpwn and will reduce a little of the noise but would still have some noise for your listening pleasure.. lol

Hi raydiative, as you can see I am a total diy idiot. Where can I get acrylic cut to size? You like water noise too? I love it. Makes me feel close to nature. In fact I kept a few crickets in my studyroom so they can sing to me at night. Haha!

• SRC Member

Hi raydiative, as you can see I am a total diy idiot. Where can I get acrylic cut to size? You like water noise too? I love it. Makes me feel close to nature. In fact I kept a few crickets in my studyroom so they can sing to me at night. Haha!

i believe Dama and some arty farty places will sell them.. if not just get a simple plastic to do the job! =]

i love the sound of waves and water.. complete beach bummer..

but your criket thingy is kinda extreme... :sick: Lol..

great looking tank mate.. love the clean look

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

Hi comycus, wouldn't BioHome also cause No3? Thanks for the compliment :)

Nope, Biohome shouldn't contribute to NO3. It's quite a popular choice for bio filtration because it's supposed to be v. porous, good to cultivate bacteria. My personal preference over bioballs any day.

i believe Dama and some arty farty places will sell them.. if not just get a simple plastic to do the job! =]

i love the sound of waves and water.. complete beach bummer..

but your criket thingy is kinda extreme... :sick: Lol..

great looking tank mate.. love the clean look

Lol, yes...the crickets...my missus hates them but my studyroom is MY studyroom so she tolerates it :P I shall checkout Art Friend for the plastic sheet. Thanks for the help!

Nope, Biohome shouldn't contribute to NO3. It's quite a popular choice for bio filtration because it's supposed to be v. porous, good to cultivate bacteria. My personal preference over bioballs any day.

Hey comycus, thanks for the info. That's what so great about having a tank thread. I get alot of good tips from you guys! Thanks alot!

I currently have a whole bunch of bio balls in my sump as part of the initial setup. Tanks been around since Nov 09, and NO3 is kept at around below 10ppm. Of course, I also do have a Sulphur Denitrator, and now have just added 1 ltr of bio pallets. In place of biohome, I experimented with porous dead coral rocks I purchased from seaview in Jalan Kayu. I wonder if it works... :mellow:

Now, if I do change my bio balls, I think I will have to do it slowly so that I don't create an ammonia spike.

Divinesloth, if you want to change your bio balls, suggest for you to do so before you put in any live stock... :)

maybe long term wise, putting just an acrylic there or something like an algae scrubber there is the best solution, if the intention is to reduce noise. you don't have to worry about bioballs/ biohommes clogging. no unsightly detritus at the bottom. just unsightly algae :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

I will just let the tank run as it is for now. Will be going to the middle kingdom for two weeks on Sunday. Hope CF will have nice big rocks waiting for me when I get back!

Hey Jacky, algae scrubber in overflow? Great idea! Its like almost the perfect place right!

• SRC Member

Very nice set up... :rolleyes:

I think most of us started reefing pretty much the same as u... saw marine fish... buy tank, salt, hydrometer and... ends up with bigger tank, better equipment etc etc... :blink:

aquatronica7na.gif

Main Tank - DECOMMISSIONED ON 24.01.11

48"x24"x26" 12mm thick starfire crystal glass(3 sided) EOS with Black Silicon(Germany)

Sump Tank

32"x15"x20" complete with egg crate, bio-ball, top up reservoir

Equipments

Return Pump: AquaBee up7000

Skimmer: Skimz Monzter sm200 with AquaBee pin wheel and AquaBee up2000(Germany) as feed pump

CR: Skimz Monzter CM150 powered with AquaBee 2000i(Germany), solonoid valve and CO2 tank

FR: Skimz 150

MH Lighting: 2x250W Lumen bright(USA) MH pendant with 2x250W 12000k Reeflux bulb(USA), 250W Coralvue (USA) dimmable ballast

T5 Lighting: 2x54w ATI(Germany) high output T5 bulb with aluminium stand

Controller: Aquatronica ACS ADVANCE Package

Dosing: Aquatronica Dosing Pumps-ACQ450

Very nice set up... :rolleyes:

I think most of us started reefing pretty much the same as u... saw marine fish... buy tank, salt, hydrometer and... ends up with bigger tank, better equipment etc etc... :blink:

Hey Richie! I'm the guy who went to your place to collect the wavebox for Zorden, if you still remember :D

Does Saddleback Clownfishes come in black color body? Those that I have seen are brownish in color. Would like to keep a pair of black body type if there are. Else I'll probably settle for a pair of True Percs.

It's Saturday! It is my last day to enjoy some family time before I fly off for work tomorrow. Managed to take some time to take some photos of my lights. It has been sitting in the storeroom for a week. Still do not have time to fix it up.

Before that, a photo of my tank with hood. These photos were taken right after delivery.

post-231-12696865198301_thumb.jpg

The cabinet is alittle high (according to the tank maker) at 97cm. The hood is 15cm tall.

post-231-12696865276023_thumb.jpg

12mm thick, I think the silicon sealing is really neat.

And now the lights...

post-231-12696866712976_thumb.jpg

I pondered over the other very popular brand for a long time but finally decided on LumenAqua due to several factors.

post-231-12696867500093_thumb.jpg

Reaper78 did a good summary of what this light is like. I have not fix it up yet so I cannot tell you much...only photos...

The LEDs are placed in 4 groups of 30. This is how 1 group of 30 looks like.

post-231-12696869387674_thumb.jpg

This is how the entire set looks like. I especially like the tempered glass cover and the solid weight of the lights. Like old school Transformer toys that were made of solid metal, it inspires confidence :) Tempered glass cover also means that it will not soften and probably will not yellow. Like Reaper78, the ability to be able to dim the lights with 5 sets of memories really appeal to me. I think the entire set is very well made.

post-231-12696871169732_thumb.jpg

The controller, cables and the metal rack which the light fixture is supposed to rest on. Before testing the set for myself, I thought I would need 2 sets to light my 4x2x2 since each set is only 2ft in length. But amazingly 1 set is enough. I'm thinking of hanging it for better spread but worry that my false ceiling might not be able to handle the weight. Anyhow, I cannot do anything to it until I come back from my trip.

Alright folks, thats all for now. Have a great week :)

Yes! Prawns are already rotting inside. I hope everything will be a-okay when I'm back! Can't wait to start stocking. Patience is a virtue I have to learn.....urgh!

Bon voyage! :rolleyes:

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

• 3 weeks later...

Back for a week and finally have a little time to mess around with my tank.

post-231-12715057935093_thumb.jpg

Finally got my 4 feet long rack to place my LumenAqua Ultrabrite on.

post-231-12715058490503_thumb.jpg

It juts out of my hood, a little unsightly but I can live with that. Would be great if it fits into the hood perfectly.

post-231-12715059183812_thumb.jpg

4 fans to cool the LEDs down. This unit is IP67 waterproof. Even the fans are waterproof...but does light fixture need to be waterproof? Maybe for the peace of mind :)

post-231-12715060514432_thumb.jpg

I was really worried that the 2 feet set will not be able to spread the light far enough to cover my 4 feet tank. Thankfully my worry was unfounded. The light spreads nicely across 4 feet.

Blue LEDs at maximum strength. It is really bright. This photo does not do justice to the brightness.

post-231-12715060623092_thumb.jpg

2 rows of White LEDs + 2 rows of Blue LEDs. The final 2 rows of White LEDs are not switched on. I find it too bright for my eyes. I really love the dimming function. I could mess around with the intensity of the lights as I please. When the lights turns on, it does so slowly instead of turning on and off abruptly like my old T5. Love it!

post-231-12715060731798_thumb.jpg

A final shot of the LEDs.

I am somehow more excited about my refugium than my main tank. The whole reason why I commissioned a new tank set is because I really wanted a refugium where I can put little things.

post-231-12715085109466_thumb.jpg

Got my PAR38 bulb from Aquarium Artist. It is mounted dangerously close to the water.

post-231-12715085229264_thumb.jpg

3 White LEDs and 2 Blue LEDs.

post-231-1271508539907_thumb.jpg

This is how its like hanging just above my refugium. This came just in time. I was having a big headache on how to hang my old 2feet T5 lightset in the sump cabinet.

Chiller not installed yet...32.5degrees hot water.

post-231-12715085510907_thumb.jpg

My tank's first resident, Mr Saddleback.

• SRC Member

Hey Richie! I'm the guy who went to your place to collect the wavebox for Zorden, if you still remember :D

Hi bro, nice talking to you the other time... :lol:

Very nice setup... love the white cabinet... :lol:

Do post more pics... :rolleyes:

aquatronica7na.gif

Main Tank - DECOMMISSIONED ON 24.01.11

48"x24"x26" 12mm thick starfire crystal glass(3 sided) EOS with Black Silicon(Germany)

Sump Tank

32"x15"x20" complete with egg crate, bio-ball, top up reservoir

Equipments

Return Pump: AquaBee up7000

Skimmer: Skimz Monzter sm200 with AquaBee pin wheel and AquaBee up2000(Germany) as feed pump

CR: Skimz Monzter CM150 powered with AquaBee 2000i(Germany), solonoid valve and CO2 tank

FR: Skimz 150

MH Lighting: 2x250W Lumen bright(USA) MH pendant with 2x250W 12000k Reeflux bulb(USA), 250W Coralvue (USA) dimmable ballast

T5 Lighting: 2x54w ATI(Germany) high output T5 bulb with aluminium stand

Controller: Aquatronica ACS ADVANCE Package

Dosing: Aquatronica Dosing Pumps-ACQ450

• SRC Member

I like your setup!!!!! :) especially how you said that your refugum is to put "little" things... :) After my current tank setup, in the future I have a better idea how I want my refugum and sump to be like that well for my own "little things". :)

CUTE!eyebrow.gif

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...