Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

no matter what flame angel you find,

none can beat the sheer beauty and rarity of this.

this is flame angel from the island of Marquesas.

in Marquesas, the propensity of finding flames like this is very high.

there is no collection there however, and the ultra rare flame alogn with the super ultra rare and gorgeous endemic regal anthias are not offered to the trade.

post-15755-0-30383200-1294581532.txt

• Senior Reefer

Thanks for the tip.

no problem.

very long explanation but it makes sense right?

because i was pondering the whole day today. can xmas and marshall island flames come in very red morphs? or are they only restricted to hawaii.

so the above post was my speculation but i think it makes sense.

now my new goal is to hunt for koran x emperor hybrids. my friend in thailand just found 2 juvenile koran x emperor hybrids.

the only way to find them as hybrids are to find juveniles. but it's not easy coz have to know how each juvenile big angel looks like. they all look similar but have some differences.

i think i posted somewhere how to differentiate them before.

time to start hunting! :)

• Senior Reefer

my friend's koran x emperor hybrids.

have the shape and front part of a juvenile koran but the back part is emperor.

it's not a juvenile emperor. the back fins lack the many black circles outlined in blue at the edges of the fin.

often times koran angels can also appear like this, with circular instead of semicircle bands. but it's usually only on one side. in this case it's on both sides, so he strongly feels it's a hybrid.

cant wait for them to grow into adults. no one has ever seen an adult koran x emperor before.

post-15755-0-98542800-1294586007_thumb.j

post-15755-0-94668300-1294586012_thumb.j

post-15755-0-29488300-1294586023_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

john coppolino's amazing hybrid pomacanthid angel.

no one really knows what hybrid this is.

my guess will be emperor x koran.

there's defnitely emperor blood in there, and the tail is a mix of koran and emperor.

unfortunately it did not make it.

post-15755-0-58537900-1294586153_thumb.j

my friend's koran x emperor hybrids.

have the shape and front part of a juvenile koran but the back part is emperor.

it's not a juvenile emperor. the back fins lack the many black circles outlined in blue at the edges of the fin.

often times koran angels can also appear like this, with circular instead of semicircle bands. but it's usually only on one side. in this case it's on both sides, so he strongly feels it's a hybrid.

cant wait for them to grow into adults. no one has ever seen an adult koran x emperor before.

It could be a pure koran. But the ring is too round and hint a bit of emperor. So the only way is wait for the fish to develop a bit further and v soon will be able to tell if it is a real hybrid.

The other piece he has possess more obvious hybrid traits.

• Senior Reefer

It could be a pure koran. But the ring is too round and hint a bit of emperor. So the only way is wait for the fish to develop a bit further and v soon will be able to tell if it is a real hybrid.

The other piece he has possess more obvious hybrid traits.

yep.

pure korans can have circular markings as well.

but pure korans don't have transparent tail unlike his.

but it's too small to tell. ur right. must wait till grow bigger.

• Senior Reefer

Good. Whole Singapore so big. There's not enough me to hunt.

My friend in Thailand agreed to give me one. Since he can't keep 2. The next time he comes to sg he will give me

Wow bro so many gems and some nice fishes...colourful tank....:bow::wub:

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

|| Return: 2 x ehiem 1264 || Skimmer: Skimz SM251 ||

|| CR: deltec denitrator || ATO with custom make reservior tank||

|| FR: TLF running Rowas ,UV ||

|| Wavemaker: Jebao RE20& RW15|| Chiller: Daikin 1HP Compressor ||

|| Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor ||

• Senior Reefer

Wow bro so many gems and some nice fishes...colourful tank....:bow::wub:

dun remind me of the fish hahaha :( i lost many super rare ones over the past few months due to negligance.

many of them were the only one specimen in singapore and i'm lucky to have them.

sigh. :cry:

• Senior Reefer

this is an undescribed anthias.

Pseudanthias sp.

It's pink with numerous gold flecks on the second half of the body toward the tail region. The gold spots are very fine and hard to photograph, and thus it appear as a yellow patch instead.

A relatively new species of anthias that has not been described and given a scientific name yet. It's closely related to Pseudanthias marcia

the bottom of the first pic is the duller female. when the male is displaying to the female, the body turns bright pink and the gold spots intensify.

the tail goes from transparent to pink with an intense blood red border. the red margined tail can only be seen when the male is displaying.

post-15755-0-23846700-1294831564_thumb.j

post-15755-0-39363500-1294831573_thumb.j

Pseudanthias sp.

It's pink with numerous gold flecks on the second half of the body toward the tail region. The gold spots are very fine and hard to photograph, and thus it appear as a yellow patch instead.

A relatively new species of anthias that has not been described and given a scientific name yet. It's closely related to Pseudanthias marcia

the bottom of the first pic is the duller female. when the male is displaying to the female, the body turns bright pink and the gold spots intensify.

the tail goes from transparent to pink with an intense blood red border. the red margined tail can only be seen when the male is displaying.

really interesting display there bro, you have it in your tank?

• Senior Reefer

really interesting display there bro, you have it in your tank?

yes it's mine.

i have a pair.

in the photo it is not displaying. it's just swimming normally.

when it displays to the female, the tail has a thick red margin.

i cannot catch a photo of it displaying because it swims way too fast.

Pseudanthias sp.

Why the photo looks so ugly... In real life, it is so niceee!!!

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Why the photo looks so ugly... In real life, it is so niceee!!!

it's very very VERY difficult to photograph.

it keeps moving ALOT.

and the colours are not very dramatic. it's very subtle and pastel. so doesn't capture well.

i'll try again tomorrow.

• Senior Reefer

Chaetodon mitratus.

a long long long wait for me to finally obtain one. it's not a terribly rare fish. but it's not common either. i just have no luck with it. i always not fast enough.

it's only the size of a triple A battery. very rare size for a mitratus. most of the time come in 3-4 inch. it's a member of the roaps butterflies and it's the only one to be found in the Indian ocean. the other 4 of it's cousins are found in the Pacific. that's the reason why it's the most different looking of all the rest.

i must thank the reefers who help me. receive a call from cf aunty to notify me that my mitrtus is here. and thanks to my frens for calling me up to tell me the size and helping me try to reserve it. as cf does not allow reservations, they bought it for me first and deliver to me. i'm endlessly grateful and so fortunate to have reefing frens who are so helpful.

now living in my sump temporarily until it's fit enough to go into the display where the boss, a C. declivis lives. if the two cannot get along, the declivis will have to go.

post-15755-0-86615700-1294925690_thumb.j

post-15755-0-92099000-1294925722_thumb.j