Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Yes indeed :upsidedown: . Lemon's friend Dr Tanaka is a well recognised international fish expert, being able to get your names printed in his work is such an hornor :eyebrow:

he is the world authority on wrasses at the moment if i'm not wrong.

his book i think is for his own personal use and to send to close friends in the senior reefing circle. i don't think it will be published and for sale. but still, it's good right.

i found an unusual dottyback today that i believe is a new species. digiman also has one. i've sent a picture to Dr. anthony gill via a friend. Dr. gill is the world authority on dottybacks at the moment to confirm if it is indeed a new species.

I can't wait for aquarama this year. many of my overseas fish friends are coming over and then i can talk fish related stuff to them.

• Senior Reefer

un-ID dottyback.

Digiman also has one, and now i have one.

It resembles very closely to Pseudochromis tapeinosoma but we strongly feel it's an unidentified species. I show the picture to other people overseas and they also feel it's something new. pictures have already been sent for confirmation to see if it is indeed a new species or just a colour variation of tapeinosoma.

the body is yellow with a navy blue stripe that runs from the snout to the end of the body along the dorsal. the tail is encircled in the blue stripe forming a horshoe shape.

post-15755-0-86433000-1295717040_thumb.j

post-15755-0-88289500-1295717045_thumb.j

un-ID dottyback.

It resembles very closely to Pseudochromis tapeinosoma but we strongly feel it's an unidentified species. I show the picture to other people overseas and they also feel it's something new. pictures have already been sent for confirmation to see if it is indeed a new species or just a colour variation of tapeinosoma.

the body is yellow with a navy blue stripe that runs from the snout to the end of the body along the dorsal. the tail is encircled in the blue stripe forming a horshoe shape.

If this leak out the price is going to sky rocket!!!

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

If this leak out the price is going to sky rocket!!!

why would the price sky rocket?

the place we got it from is very consistant in pricing. they will not raise the price even if it's a new species.

so far only one source for it. and it has only appeared twice to my knowledge and each time only one piece.

if anyone has this fish pls post here.

why would the price sky rocket?

the place we got it from is very consistant in pricing. they will not raise the price even if it's a new species.

so far only one source for it. and it has only appeared twice to my knowledge and each time only one piece.

if anyone has this fish pls post here.

If jon know about it... It will not be the same liao... LOL... The same with the $60 diadema dottyback...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

If jon know about it... It will not be the same liao... LOL... The same with the $60 diadema dottyback...

no jon already say before. their price is standardised and it will be the same now, and 10 years later. it will not change much.

anyway the price dropped since the first time it appeared. first time was about 20. now 10.

Such a beautiful dottyback.

And wow you didn't mention anything about photo credits. Gosh, should I give you my real name instead? Haha.

But thanks for giving us this privilege.

don't mention.

most likely the photos will be used for internal publication and the book will not be sold in public. but the pictures may appear in his future articles or what, we don't know. but the picturs will be credited to all of you for your help!

no jon already say before. their price is standardised and it will be the same now, and 10 years later. it will not change much.

anyway the price dropped since the first time it appeared. first time was about 20. now 10.

Hmmm, then the $60 diadema is a one off incident bah... LOL...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Hmmm, then the $60 diadema is a one off incident bah... LOL...

maybe supplier price is v high?

alot of their fish have very weird pricing.

like their hawaii fish are ex.

flame angel 50+, rhomboid close to 300. but the price are very stable and until now have dropped very very little only.

maybe supplier price is v high?

alot of their fish have very weird pricing.

like their hawaii fish are ex.

flame angel 50+, rhomboid close to 300. but the price are very stable and until now have dropped very very little only.

The Diadema is picked out from the big shipment of diadema that came in if not wrong... Unless i got my facts wrong... LOL...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

The Diadema is picked out from the big shipment of diadema that came in if not wrong... Unless i got my facts wrong... LOL...

i dunno.

if he decide to price it at 60 then it will be 60 for the next time it comes again lor.

i just saying whatever the price of the item, it will always remain rather consistant. if anything, it will drop and not go up in price.

like naokoae.

un-ID dottyback.

This is the closest pic i've found on the net of our "tapeinosoma":

a688-07.jpg

Many specimens have been collected, the link is here

My fish also has the speckles like tat of the pic shown above. The only problem is our "tapeinosoma" is blue margin and not black margin as the common name of tapeinosoma suggested. So it may be a colour variant of tapeinosoma and not a whole new species. Jux like flame angel in hawaii is red whereas in philippines more yellow.

The price did not drop!!

Auntie know it's a special fish so she sold me at 20, higher than the usual dutoiti dottyback price.

But when u bought the fish, auntie is not around, so the workers tot it's jux a normal dutoiti and sold to u at a dutoiti price.

CF price can be variable when it comes to unlisted(not in the invoice) fish. Common fishes found in the invoice yes the price WILL NOT fluctuate much. For example the price of yellow tangs in CF has not changed for 10 years already.

However other fishes like leucokranos clown, thiellei clowns, "tapeinosoma", aberrant diadema dottyback, auntie's "pig" fish, all these are not in the invoice or are freak appearance, so the price is decided by Jon and if he's not around, decided by auntie. And if both are not around and the workers know the fish is special, they will not sell to u and ask u to wait till Jon/auntie is back.

• Senior Reefer

This is the closest pic i've found on the net of our "tapeinosoma":

a688-07.jpg

Many specimens have been collected, the link is here

My fish also has the speckles like tat of the pic shown above. The only problem is our "tapeinosoma" is blue margin and not black margin as the common name of tapeinosoma suggested. So it may be a colour variant of tapeinosoma and not a whole new species. Jux like flame angel in hawaii is red whereas in philippines more yellow.

our "tapeinosoma" so far all blue vs the black one.

so either geographical variation, or a new but closely related species. many fishes look almost similar but then turn out to be new species.

like the "bicolor pseudochromis complex" all different even though the stripe is only like slightly bent or something.

The price did not drop!!

Auntie know it's a special fish so she sold me at 20, higher than the usual dutoiti dottyback price.

But when u bought the fish, auntie is not around, so the workers tot it's jux a normal dutoiti and sold to u at a dutoiti price.

CF price can be variable when it comes to unlisted(not in the invoice) fish. Common fishes found in the invoice yes the price WILL NOT fluctuate much. For example the price of yellow tangs in CF has not changed for 10 years already.

However other fishes like leucokranos clown, thiellei clowns, "tapeinosoma", aberrant diadema dottyback, auntie's "pig" fish, all these are not in the invoice or are freak appearance, so the price is decided by Jon and if he's not around, decided by auntie. And if both are not around and the workers know the fish is special, they will not sell to u and ask u to wait till Jon/auntie is back.

ok yes agreed.

until the freak fishes have all been standardised, they will always remain freak fishes and the price will always fluctuate.

• Senior Reefer

There are always surprises in places like CF, Ah Beng, Irene etc. Cheap and good surprises.

yes.

this goes to show that rare fish does not always equate to expensive.

philippine and indonesian shipments hold tons of surprises. some of them are..

leucozonas anthias

tapeinosoma dottyback

lunatus fairy wrasse

flasher wrasse hybrids

thiellei clownfish

very rare liopropoma basslets

roseafascia fairy wrasse

rusty flame angel hybrids

and many many many more that even digiman and i don't know about!

the indo-pacific region is a hot spot for new species and the diversity there is extremely rich. so there are always little surprises for us to explore!

Dun forget the curious wormfish at CF! Although the fish looks like it may hide for eternity.

Yes, so many unknown species can appear in Bali and philippines shipments! And best is the supplier dunno also and tat's why things are cheap!

Other shipments also carries interesting stuff.

West Africa shipment i can still find interesting stuff on my 2nd visit after many days. First visit blinded by all the bright blue africanus tat i missed out a rare little pufferfish. If i spotted it earlier on day 1 shipment, i would hav saved it from whitespots.

US shipment is another big surprise. Anything can appear tat.

I love to go for shipments and look out for things that pple dunno and will miss out.

• Senior Reefer

How is the behaviour of the new species dottyback? Garang, neutral or shy?

mine is only 2 days old in my tank so i cannot comment on it's behaviour.

but it's extremely shy and cryptic and i seldom see it. it only weaves in and out of the rocks.

but given time it should be bold and quite aggressive.

digiman care to chime in? you are the only one i know who also has the dottyback. aggressive right?

mine is a very big tank with fishes bigger than itself so i can't say for it's behaviour yet. it might be very peaceful due to the large swimming area.

• Senior Reefer

i used to have this also.

it's also an undescribed dottyback with no scientific name.

for now it's known as Manoinchthys cf. alleni. because it resembles M. alleni. the cf is added there for now as a reference.

a nice beautiful species, but very aggressive when settled down.

post-15755-0-81243800-1295795352_thumb.j

My tank is small, 2.5ft.

The "tapeinosoma" dottyback is shy on the first two days, after tat it is no where near shy!

But neither is it overly aggressive. I would say semi-aggressive as at times i saw it chasing my other dottybacks in the tank but it's jux playful chasing and stop v fast.

So overall a v nice and small dottyback to keep.