Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

Apogon Neonotes and Parvalus is impossible to keep.. lol... They just wither away and require frequent feeding..

Actually they are not impossible. Its about proper handling and collection method. If a good source is there, this fish is not impossible. There are quite a few threads on RC regarding this fish.

How about this?

Anyway most apogon will look amazing under strong lighting and I love the way they stay close together at tall objects or corals such as gorgonians or staghorn acro.

post-602-12770109610925_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

Actually they are not impossible. Its about proper handling and collection method. If a good source is there, this fish is not impossible. There are quite a few threads on RC regarding this fish.

How about this?

Anyway most apogon will look amazing under strong lighting and I love the way they stay close together at tall objects or corals such as gorgonians or staghorn acro.

that is my least favourite cardinal! looks so big and fierce. lol.

i've kept cyanosoma before. they just ended up killing each other until left 1.

as for sealei, it's very nice. the blue eyes against the white body is very stark. but they grow too big for my liking. maybe will try them again. they're one of the nicer cardinals to keep because of the striking white body.

can they be kept in a shoal without fighting? i've kept a pair of them before only.

Yes, one pt to take note for apogon is not all of them can be kept in shoal. Some lives in pair, some solitary while others are shoaling kind. I usually google each species and look at their pictures in the wild. If they live in groups, then possibly its a much better bet compare to others that show only living in pair. Anyway the best is Apogon Lepacathus aka blue eye. They are not ugly, not even close.

post-602-12770113153184_thumb.jpg

that is my least favourite cardinal! looks so big and fierce. lol.

Fierce? So beautiful, reddish body and luminous blue stripe across the eye. Actually 2-3inches is not consider that big. I am keeping a small group of copper cardinal and they are rather well behave towards each other. I do however hope to remove them and try other species.

• Senior Reefer

anyway i've shortlisted what sp of cardinals i will get. then most probably choose 1 from this list and go hunting.

Apogon nigrofasciatus

Apogon margaritophorus

Apogon sealei

of which all i kept before except the first one

post-15755-12770114972855_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12770115160223_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1277011665434_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

this one looks very much like sealei but it's different. it's an unid species i think.

have kept this before with sealei also thinking it was sealei. very nice actually.

never seen it anymore. last time buy from reborn.

post-15755-12770116445295_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

Yes, one pt to take note for apogon is not all of them can be kept in shoal. Some lives in pair, some solitary while others are shoaling kind. I usually google each species and look at their pictures in the wild. If they live in groups, then possibly its a much better bet compare to others that show only living in pair. Anyway the best is Apogon Lepacathus aka blue eye. They are not ugly, not even close.

arh? i see banggais and cyanosoma shaoling in the wild. but when i add more than 2 in my tank, they always end up killing each other.

• Senior Reefer

Now this one is really sweet!

yes. it's nice to know that even humble fishes like cardinals have their unobtainable species like some wrasses and angels!

rose atoll cardinal, found in Rose Atoll, a small coralline algae dominated reef a days sail northwest of American Samoa.

post-15755-12770120947957_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

and my other DREAM unobtainable butterflyfish. ridiculously abundant where they live, but because they live in such obscure places near tahiti where it's virtually impossible to get to unless private jet and boat your way there.

post-15755-12770121997271_thumb.jpg

I am keeping 6 of Apogon margaritophorus right now. Rather docile but not so brightly coloured. They do live very closely among the branches of my photosynthetic gorgonian.

If I say Chaetodon smithi is possible how?

• Senior Reefer

If I say Chaetodon smithi is possible how?

i would be very happy momentarily, then after the initial shock wears off, i will then realise it would probably cost alot that i can ever afford, and even if i could afford one, what's the point when it only looks good in a little group.

i would be very happy momentarily, then after the initial shock wears off, i will then realise it would probably cost alot that i can ever afford, and even if i could afford one, what's the point when it only looks good in a little group.

Will not be that ex as it is listed as uncommon, similar to jewel tang

anyway i've shortlisted what sp of cardinals i will get. then most probably choose 1 from this list and go hunting.

Apogon nigrofasciatus

Apogon margaritophorus

Apogon sealei

of which all i kept before except the first one

All three are ugly. There are nicer cardinals around, even leptacanthus is nicer than all the three.

All three are ugly. There are nicer cardinals around, even leptacanthus is nicer than all the three.

LOL... Digiman even got high standards for cardinal... I like these... But think will be ex if we can find them...

Apogon doederleini and Apogon semilineatus... Will settle for Leptacanthus...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

LOL... Digiman even got high standards for cardinal... I like these... But think will be ex if we can find them...

I believe leptacanthus is one of the best choice ard due to its peaceful nature

No high standards, jux feel that cyanosoma, bangai and leptacanthus are nicer. Apogon aureus shown above is nice also. Flame cardinal is nice also but sadly hard to keep in a group. There are so many cardinal species in the wild tat are not available to the trade.

I prefer chromis. I wan vanderbilt chromis.

No high standards, jux feel that cyanosoma, bangai and leptacanthus are nicer. Apogon aureus shown above is nice also. Flame cardinal is nice also but sadly hard to keep in a group. There are so many cardinal species in the wild tat are not available to the trade.

I prefer chromis. I wan vanderbilt chromis.

Yeah, we can only get a few species... Cyanosoma is nice also... The blue stripe on a orange body...

Should try to pay more trips to CF... Seem like they are the only one that have vandarbilt..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp