Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

sometimes the female's belly gets crazily big and i think she may be gravid. but the eggs do not last long in her belly and after awhile they are gone.

i think the pair are trying out spawning for the first time and are still practicing to get things right. the male is very excited but a bit too much for the female. the female is timid and very afraid of the ridiculously brazen male!

• Senior Reefer

wao! thats awesome colours.. thanks for capturing and sharing it! :thumbsup:

there's another video i posted i think in the previous page. it shows a longer video but not so clear.

the only way i can show you guys is through video. as you know, nuptial fairy and flasher wrasses swim at too high speeds that only DSLR can capture.

• SRC Member

sometimes the female's belly gets crazily big and i think she may be gravid. but the eggs do not last long in her belly and after awhile they are gone.

i think the pair are trying out spawning for the first time and are still practicing to get things right. the male is very excited but a bit too much for the female. the female is timid and very afraid of the ridiculously brazen male!

LOL.. the second part sounds so explicit.. as if describing humans.. :evil:

• Senior Reefer

LOL.. the second part sounds so explicit.. as if describing humans.. :evil:

it's true lol!

the female spends most of her time in the corner coz everytime she swims out, the male will just bulldoze her. she has some missing scales on her body from the intense courtship of the male.

i don't know how man... too much hormones..

• SRC Member

it's true lol!

the female spends most of her time in the corner coz everytime she swims out, the male will just bulldoze her. she has some missing scales on her body from the intense courtship of the male.

i don't know how man... too much hormones..

hahahaha! must be a male in his teenage years! raging hormones! :excl:

oh btw, does male fairy/flasher display similar coloration when flashing at another males? as compared to nuptial colorations? or are nuptial mating colours definitely much more intense..

• Senior Reefer

hahahaha! must be a male in his teenage years! raging hormones! :excl:

oh btw, does male fairy/flasher display similar coloration when flashing at another males? as compared to nuptial colorations? or are nuptial mating colours definitely much more intense..

same.

but the mannerism in which they do it is different.

when flashing at other males, they usually do that as a form of aggression. to show who is boss. they chase at the opposing wrasse and the fins are usually clamped down or open (depending on the wrasse. some wrasses flash with fins closed while some, open. it's species specific). this one does not last long at all.

there's also another type of flashing where the flashing or nuptial colours are exhibited, but the fish just cruises around the tank displaying it, without targetting anything in particular. this i think is to show the whole tank he's the boss. and to attract any potential females inside.

when flashing to females, they usually flash around the female. to attract attention. the flashing last longer, and there are pauses inbetween. flashing can even last up to an hour! occasionally they will barge at the female and chase them around the tank. when they do this, they swim very closely to the females as shown in the video i posted.

all these are just personal experiences i've encountered.

some fairy wrasses have more than one flashing colour. like cirrhilabrus condei, the condei fairy wrasse. it has 2 different flashing colours and no one knows why.

• SRC Member

same.

but the mannerism in which they do it is different.

when flashing at other males, they usually do that as a form of aggression. to show who is boss. they chase at the opposing wrasse and the fins are usually clamped down or open (depending on the wrasse. some wrasses flash with fins closed while some, open. it's species specific). this one does not last long at all.

there's also another type of flashing where the flashing or nuptial colours are exhibited, but the fish just cruises around the tank displaying it, without targetting anything in particular. this i think is to show the whole tank he's the boss. and to attract any potential females inside.

when flashing to females, they usually flash around the female. to attract attention. the flashing last longer, and there are pauses inbetween. flashing can even last up to an hour! occasionally they will barge at the female and chase them around the tank. when they do this, they swim very closely to the females as shown in the video i posted.

all these are just personal experiences i've encountered.

some fairy wrasses have more than one flashing colour. like cirrhilabrus condei, the condei fairy wrasse. it has 2 different flashing colours and no one knows why.

ooohhh icic.. that certainly explains alot.. very interesting observations indeed! thanks a million.. :)

Bro, I just read kylve's thread and saw your post about your hot pink BN.

Advice is to frag it up. This is because tho the STN didnt spread, but if algae grows on the dead skeleton parts, your BN also wont be able to grow new skin over it. In the end, not so aesthetic liao :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

Bro, I just read kylve's thread and saw your post about your hot pink BN.

Advice is to frag it up. This is because tho the STN didnt spread, but if algae grows on the dead skeleton parts, your BN also wont be able to grow new skin over it. In the end, not so aesthetic liao :(

ok thx!

i solve my kh problem now first.

• Senior Reefer

oh? what happened? too high?

hanor.

was tuning my CR to cope with the demands of my now very kh sucking SPS. but forget to tune it down and now spike to 16 -__-

do a WC but brought it down to 13 only. tomorrow must do again.

so far everything ok. only birdnest some burnt tips.

hanor.

was tuning my CR to cope with the demands of my now very kh sucking SPS. but forget to tune it down and now spike to 16 -__-

do a WC but brought it down to 13 only. tomorrow must do again.

so far everything ok. only birdnest some burnt tips.

oh ic.

okay okay. careful ah next time! hope this time is just a small accident (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

there's another video i posted i think in the previous page. it shows a longer video but not so clear.

the only way i can show you guys is through video. as you know, nuptial fairy and flasher wrasses swim at too high speeds that only DSLR can capture.

Bro, I think you need to invest in one. It is a pity not being able to capture the true beauty of your reef. I know it is close to impossible for many of us, but if you can put your reef shopping on hold for a couple of months, you just might be able to save up for an entry level DSLR. :heh:

• Senior Reefer

Bro, I think you need to invest in one. It is a pity not being able to capture the true beauty of your reef. I know it is close to impossible for many of us, but if you can put your reef shopping on hold for a couple of months, you just might be able to save up for an entry level DSLR. :heh:

i hate to sound like a big headed moron but my tank does look nice now. i know i know... self praise is no praise.

but i'm terribly proud of my work and it's really a shame i cannot take nice photos of it. i have put in so much effort over the past few months and everything is falling nicely into place for once. so i'm very happy.

my mom is thinking of buying a DSLR for herself. and if she does, i'll borrow it :P but i am also considering saving up for one.

• Senior Reefer

Open house? :idea: I've got a DSLR camera that i can use if there is an open house.

Let me start the ball rooolllliiiinnnngggg

1.Eniram.

you got a DSLR cam?

i need your help to take photos to send to someone.

• Senior Reefer

my flame angel male and female pair.

finally after 9 attempts. i manage to keep an EASY fish ALIVE! eating pellets like hungry ghosts..

the female is yawning! so cute. so it looks like it has a deformed mouth. this female flame is very rare. it's a pure red morph. this indicates it's either a true hawaiian flame, or a rare red morph from the christmas islands. i've spoken to a few ichthyologists and they agree it's the latter. so no true hawaiian flame but still, indistinguishable!

i've made a mistake about pure red flames being ONLY found in mainland hawaii. apparently red morphs do exist in xmas islands and marshalls, but very very rarely also. hawaiian mainland one has thinner bars.

for those who dunno how to tell male and female flames, look at the photo.

the first one is a female. anal fin is round, blue colouration is very little.

male is at the bottom. anal fin is very long, blue colouration much more.

post-15755-0-69987200-1295446053_thumb.j

post-15755-0-74767700-1295446066_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

my roseafascia fairy.

u still remember when it was a teeny weeny female? it's a huge male now. but the tail has stopped growing. probably due to it being in captivity.

it could grow longer, but no where near it's potential if it were in the wild.

post-15755-0-61902600-1295446180_thumb.j

post-15755-0-87763700-1295446217_thumb.j

post-15755-0-35528500-1295446226_thumb.j

post-15755-0-50825000-1295446234_thumb.j

the white terelabrus sp. form maldives.

the tail is slightly broken and i'm unsure who the evil culprit is! when not broken, it's diamond in shape.

My terelabrus has thicker red bars den yours, but probably becos mine is bigger.

The tail is broken on its own i believe and not due to any culprit. Becos mine also torn after a few days. Maybe due to fin burns.