Thinking of coming back again.......................

Welcome back bro ultra.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• Senior Reefer

Qns 1)Does anaerobic bacteria exist in an aquarium? Thought they will die once they comes into contact with oxygen?

Yes, some wont die but they prefer low O2 environment.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought anaerobic CANNOT tahan O2 at all? those that prefer low O2 are called facultative anaerobes right?

No, those that needs O2 but prefer low 02 concentration are called microaerophiles

there are bascially 3 types of anaerobic organism:

1) obligate anaerobes: This type hates O2 and will die/get harm from bein exposed to O2.

2) facultative anaerobes: unlike what you mentioned, this is a type whereby they can use oxygen from surrounding to survive or through fermentation when there is no oxygen available. Oxygen won't hurt them or very unlikely.

3) aerotolerant: these organism dun need O2 to grow or respirates and can tolerate 02.

i dunno how many kinds of bacteria are available in our aquarium that belongs to the anaerobic side or which type they belongs to or how they behaves. but for sure, not all anaerobic organisms die in the presence of O2. That's why i said some wont die in my above initial answer to Ultraman.

if you like these so much, can do ur industrial attachment in Institue of Chemical Engineering Sciences (ICES) by A-STAR.

I know most of the, if not all, Drs. and research officers in Industrial Biotech Lab. Might be able to hook you up in one of their project in these anerobic/aerobic topics. of course, if only your department agrees to it. :thumbsup:

ohh i see. thanks for explaining lol. :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

i decom my office crs tank and convert to fowlr

wash everything and cycle again

can plan while tank is cycling

stock list, which to add first etc etc etc

welcome back

wow gd for u, everytime i plan stocklist sure go haywire one, cause go lfs see fish then buey tahan then buy liao......hehe

haha. you are not the only one. I thought of coming back too. :chair:

mai tu liao, come back quick!

Welcome back bro ultra.

Thanks bro solo, still in planning stage, nothing firm yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who use the sand from his fresh water planted tank in his reef tank.

End result? he got some weird weeds that grows from the sand. At first we thot eventually they are going to die, but the weed colonised the whole sand bottom. In Fact it is looking nicer and nicer as they grow.

2 good things, these plants gives a different look to the usual reef tank, adding some leafy greens to the tank.

secondly, leafy greens are the best export for nitrate. I don't think he has done any nitrate test before, but i won't be surprise if nitrate is non existence, given that there is no algae to naked eyes, and he probably clean his glass every 2 weeks or so...

reuse Biohomes, put in new live rocks (for scaping only so it is not excessive) bought a skimmer... and we don't see any side effect of reusing equipment from a FW tank.

• 3 weeks later...