BIG, HUGE Clownfish problem!

Hi guys,

First post here, sadly quite a negative one....

Recently obtained a marine tank (professional setup). Did my homework on fish stocking and things that will NOT get along. Generally have been dabbling in marine (helping friends) for quite some time. However, as my dad paid for the tank, I have no control over what fish my Dad puts inside (his rationale is that it's his money so he can put any fish).

Today, he bought a maroon clownfish, a pair of clarkii's anemonefish and a JUMBO 5INCH TOMATO CLOWN and threw them into the tank. While I was at school, he bought a pair of clarkii and one maroon clown. I assumed it would be okay as the maroon was slightly smaller than the clarkiis. However, was there when he bought the Tomato, and knew it was a bad idea. But he totally just ignored, saying since it was only 4 dollars it was worth it. I am not sure what to do at this point. As all of them are new to the sytem they don't show aggression for now, but I'm sure they're going to start fighting soon. It's a reef tank so it will be impossible to catch them out.

How????? :wacko::( :(

• Senior Reefer

Hi guys,

First post here, sadly quite a negative one....

Recently obtained a marine tank (professional setup). Did my homework on fish stocking and things that will NOT get along. Generally have been dabbling in marine (helping friends) for quite some time. However, as my dad paid for the tank, I have no control over what fish my Dad puts inside (his rationale is that it's his money so he can put any fish).

Today, he bought a maroon clownfish, a pair of clarkii's anemonefish and a JUMBO 5INCH TOMATO CLOWN and threw them into the tank. While I was at school, he bought a pair of clarkii and one maroon clown. I assumed it would be okay as the maroon was slightly smaller than the clarkiis. However, was there when he bought the Tomato, and knew it was a bad idea. But he totally just ignored, saying since it was only 4 dollars it was worth it. I am not sure what to do at this point. As all of them are new to the sytem they don't show aggression for now, but I'm sure they're going to start fighting soon. It's a reef tank so it will be impossible to catch them out.

How????? :wacko::( :(

tell your dad next time, if he wants to keep marine fish, do research and don't anyhow buy. some things in this hobby are cheap and for $4, it's worth it. but so what?

these fishes are extremely common and very cheap anyway. the 4 clowns now are not likley to get along so i suggest selling them.

responsible reef keeping please. don't buy things just coz they're worth it.

anyway hope you find a way to reef happily with your dad :) it's a wonderful hobby and although there are problems, there are more rewards too.

happy reefing ;)

• SRC Member

Try and segregate the fish, particularly the maroon and the tomato. Try and trap either one in a Betta box and keep it there for a week or two. Would suggest allowing the maroon to stay free while isolating the larger tomato.

Failing which, try the mirror. Works almost always. Another thing is also, I didn't see you mention how big your tank is. If its a 4 ft, they might be able to establish territories at opposite corners of the tank, so it might just work out. Maybe another anemone for them to host one in the opposite end of the tank might help with that.

If all put together, there is a chance. However, future, unlikely to act more clown fishes. It's a hobby, don't quarel over it. Enjoy it together. Ask him to visit forum and read more. If he choose not to, then will have to learn thr hard ways. Good days.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

tell your dad next time, if he wants to keep marine fish, do research and don't anyhow buy. some things in this hobby are cheap and for $4, it's worth it. but so what?

these fishes are extremely common and very cheap anyway. the 4 clowns now are not likley to get along so i suggest selling them.

responsible reef keeping please. don't buy things just coz they're worth it.

anyway hope you find a way to reef happily with your dad :) it's a wonderful hobby and although there are problems, there are more rewards too.

happy reefing ;)

Welcome to SRC~ ^_^

Ask your dad to join SRC too! Get him interested in doing research before purchase. He'll slowly discover the limitations of reef in captivity.

Thanks! I'll try. Tried before =/

Try and segregate the fish, particularly the maroon and the tomato. Try and trap either one in a Betta box and keep it there for a week or two. Would suggest allowing the maroon to stay free while isolating the larger tomato.

Failing which, try the mirror. Works almost always. Another thing is also, I didn't see you mention how big your tank is. If its a 4 ft, they might be able to establish territories at opposite corners of the tank, so it might just work out. Maybe another anemone for them to host one in the opposite end of the tank might help with that.

The tank is a 5ft. So far I haven't added anemones because I'm scared of poisoning the rest of the corals/fish incase they die. Would the aggression be less if they don't have anemones?

If all put together, there is a chance. However, future, unlikely to act more clown fishes. It's a hobby, don't quarel over it. Enjoy it together. Ask him to visit forum and read more. If he choose not to, then will have to learn thr hard ways. Good days.

Yea, thats what people tell me. If they don't listen let them learn the hard way... but a bit heart pain luh.

Thanks!:)

• SRC Member

it hard to teach the elder cos they will have the thinking that they know more than the younger ones.....although it's cheap but still it is a life. maybe u should ask ur dad to buy a gem tang n see if he will treat it like how he treated the clown fish

Whatever you do, and how wrong you dad is, please do show your utmost respect to him. He loves you and he's the reason you have that tank. The fish don't.

It's a great hobby and to share it with daddy is priceless dude. I don't have anyone living under the same roof who gives a hoot about my tank. I only have you guys.

So cheers dude, look at the bright side of life....

tEc' date='25 July 2010 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1280060703' post='931294']

it hard to teach the elder cos they will have the thinking that they know more than the younger ones.....although it's cheap but still it is a life. maybe u should ask ur dad to buy a gem tang n see if he will treat it like how he treated the clown fish

omg the gem tang costs as much as the tank...

Whatever you do, and how wrong you dad is, please do show your utmost respect to him. He loves you and he's the reason you have that tank. The fish don't.

It's a great hobby and to share it with daddy is priceless dude. I don't have anyone living under the same roof who gives a hoot about my tank. I only have you guys.

So cheers dude, look at the bright side of life....

Thanks :) I do try to show respect to him. Just that I had to let off some steam somewhere. Also coz I'm quite scared.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad used to do this very often... sometimes i'd come home and find 10 Damsels in my tank...

took a while before he got it.

Wierdly enough, it was always the fish that he bought that survived the longest.

It's very hard to override the " your tank is in my house, so I can put what I want in it."

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

omg the gem tang costs as much as the tank...

Thanks :) I do try to show respect to him. Just that I had to let off some steam somewhere. Also coz I'm quite scared.

Hi,

Normally old folks r quite uncooperative. Knew of one lady who put black trigger into her 7' tank despite being told not to s she'd 5 sea urchins kept to clean the algae infested coral set-ups. The advice fell on 'death ears'. Pardon the pun.

Eventually he'll clean up the act himself.

Disturbing s it may be u might s well get someone to take out the rock formation n reset the tank. Do remember to take photos from different angles so u know how to place the rocks in their original settings.

Happy reefing.

Finbir.