senior reefer pls help I tank is full of parsite sticking at my glass

now all my fishes die and i doint inted to put any fish till all the parsite all killl im running uv sterliser but it seem no use i donno y corals are ok they are sticking at my tank glass how to killl them if i put new fish eventualy it will infest my nitrate is0.1 ph 8.6 using cheatos as refugium any senior reefer for advise ???

Main-ZeovitLogo.jpg

3x2x2 RSM,2x1.5x1.5 cube

cheers

• SRC Member

most likely those on the glass are copepods or amphipods

if its so, those are harmless and got nothing to do with ur fish death. infact those pods are fish food.

unless its isopod which some are dangerous to ur fish.

best to provide a picture so that we can confirm.

all the best.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

now all my fishes die and i doint inted to put any fish till all the parsite all killl im running uv sterliser but it seem no use i donno y corals are ok they are sticking at my tank glass how to killl them if i put new fish eventualy it will infest my nitrate is0.1 ph 8.6 using cheatos as refugium any senior reefer for advise ???

Hi, gd morning..

Sad to hear about your lost..

Firstly, if you could list out your fishes and give a description of how they died? -Gasping?, swimming erratically, rubbing against the rock?, not eating?

Secondly,

What kind of parasite may i ask you referring to?. (Common Ich, isopods, velvet etc.)

Assuming all your water parameters are in place.

There are only a handful of options you can try.

Running a UV Sterilizer is a good start, but too high a wattage can also kill benefical bacteria in your tank, how about sharing with us your UV wattage?

If we are talking about parasite?.. microscopic or big parasites?..

Does your water have enough gaseous exchange?.

One way to promote gaseous exchange can be agitating your water surface with a wavemaker/powerhead..

Also can you recall whats the last fish that you add?.. Did it promote or spread the symptoms to other fish?

most likely those on the glass are copepods or amphipods

if its so, those are harmless and got nothing to do with ur fish death. infact those pods are fish food.

unless its isopod which some are dangerous to ur fish.

best to provide a picture so that we can confirm.

all the best.

comferm parasite but white in colour

Main-ZeovitLogo.jpg

3x2x2 RSM,2x1.5x1.5 cube

cheers

Hi, gd morning..

Sad to hear about your lost..

Firstly, if you could list out your fishes and give a description of how they died? -Gasping?, swimming erratically, rubbing against the rock?, not eating?

Secondly,

What kind of parasite may i ask you referring to?. (Common Ich, isopods, velvet etc.)

Assuming all your water parameters are in place.

There are only a handful of options you can try.

Running a UV Sterilizer is a good start, but too high a wattage can also kill benefical bacteria in your tank, how about sharing with us your UV wattage?

If we are talking about parasite?.. microscopic or big parasites?..

Does your water have enough gaseous exchange?.

One way to promote gaseous exchange can be agitating your water surface with a wavemaker/powerhead..

Also can you recall whats the last fish that you add?.. Did it promote or spread the symptoms to other fish?

9v uvsterliser its quite big and its whitw colour like thouse fishes got white spot

they eat my yello tang powderblue tang also eatningvery well only got white spot i use hyposalt treatment on them and they die :paiseh:

ok my black thank and yellow tang got same symtom they gets thinner in the stomach slimmer and died

i dident put wavemaker because my corals are LPS

last fish blue tang brought from pacafic marine

does wavemaker help ?

Main-ZeovitLogo.jpg

3x2x2 RSM,2x1.5x1.5 cube

cheers

9v uvsterliser its quite big and its whitw colour like thouse fishes got white spot

they eat my yello tang powderblue tang also eatningvery well only got white spot i use hyposalt treatment on them and they die :paiseh:

ok my black thank and yellow tang got same symtom they gets thinner in the stomach slimmer and died

i dident put wavemaker because my corals are LPS

last fish blue tang brought from pacafic marine

does wavemaker help ?

Sounds like ich (fine white spots) killed your fishes. Tangs are v prone to ich especially in a new setup.

There are some crawling parasitic isopods as big as a sesame seed, those will attach to fishes particularly on the fins but will rarely cause death so we can rule that out. So wat killed your fishes is most probably ich, the most commonly encountered problem in this hobby.

9W UV is v small, in fact reefers always go for oversized UV, like 36W and above. UV does help but is only good at prevention rather than cure. Since your tank now is most likely having an outbreak of ich, UV is probably not going to work unless u can get a very oversized one.

Since u're keeping corals, the best method now is to keep your tank fishless for a few weeks (preferably up to one month) and continuously run your 9W UV, then after u can start stocking but do it slowly about one fish a week if u can control.

Read up on marine ich, there are already a lot of info on the web. U can also try some of the reesafe medication meant for ich, but i would not recommend that as i've tried tonnes of products and all useless. The best cure and prevention to ich is patience and QT.

Wavemaker is good to install one. Tangs are fast swimming fishes that enjoy a high amount of water flow. So install a wavemaker, your fishes and corals will all be happier.

• Senior Reefer

white spots on your fish is caused by a MICROSCOPIC parasite that cannot be seen. the white spots are caused by the fish's skin reaction to the parasite.

the white little bugs on your tank glass are NOT white spots. they are harmless beneficial copepods.

stop mixing the two up.

Is the glass creatures looks like this? if yes... this r beneficial pods..

post-9248-084768600 1284773934_thumb.jpg

Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

ya its this white thing i donno what that man is it harmless or good ?

hi bro, think CFO mentioned already, that if what you see looks like the picture, then it's good thing. maybe u can take a handphone pic or go google a similar looking picture of what u see? normally quite a good amount of info will follow the pic too. hope it helps.

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

ya its this white thing i donno what that man is it harmless or good ?

Hai, Sorry for late reply.. was family outing since morning.....

Agree with Bro Milch Tan.. probably try snap one close up pics.. it will easier to conclude...

Below r some pics from WWM.. below both r good pods..

post-9248-058063200 1284824922_thumb.jpgpost-9248-084236500 1284826923_thumb.jpg

post-9248-036617500 1284826931_thumb.jpgpost-9248-076897000 1284826938_thumb.jpg

Different types of Copepods, clockwise from top left: Cyclopoid, Acartiatonsa, Paracalanus, Cyclopoid

post-9248-007476900 1284825337_thumb.jpg

Amphipod

Some head line below from WWM:

click this link for detail

Most hobbyists have introduced Copepods to their tank at one time or another by accident or design. Those little white bugs which stick to the glass or are attracted to a light entering the side of the tank are mainly Copepods. It's easy to confuse Amphipods with Copepods, but there are a few ways to tell the difference. First, if you can stand across the room and see it, it's an Amphipod. Additionally, if it looks like a swimming comma, and hangs out where it can be seen easily, it's an Amphipod.

Copepods are not often seen until they become super-abundant and swarm somewhere where they are easily visible. The small size of Copepods and their behavior make them an ideal food source for some picky eaters, such as Seahorses and Mandarin Gobies. Fish that like to pick off the rocks or stick their noses in the sand are also grazing on Copepods, even though you may not see what they are picking. An advantage of the Copepods' small size is that they, in turn, can consume super small particles of algae, bacteria, and detritus, helping to keep your tank clean. Copepods are one of the desirable species which hitchhike on your live rock or hang out in your refugium. The presence of Copepods can keep your tank healthy and stable.

And below r some bad pods (Isopods).. try to get rids them if spotted any...

post-9248-008448900 1284825796_thumb.jpgpost-9248-041305600 1284825869_thumb.jpgpost-9248-086379800 1284826399_thumb.jpg

Isopods

Cheers and Happy Reefing.. :ThanxSmiley:

Edited by CFOh
add more examples

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Keep your tank fishless for a month or longer for the ich to finish its life cycle and die off after hatching as they have no host(fish) to attach to... The UV will help in preventing outbreak but it is practically difficult to eradicate all ich from our tank as they might be present in new corals or new fishes we add...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Also when u buy new fish or corals remember dont just pour the water from the bag into the tank, put the bag into the tank if its not too big let fish get used to your tank's temperature. Then pour bag into a container, turn off ur wavemaker, catch out the fish put it gently into water. Of cos the better way would always be to quarantine the new fish first and medicate to prevent any diseases from entering your main tank but thats if u have a quarantine tank of clean mature water.

For now dont buy any fish bro (at least no tangs),another tip is to buy fishes from fellow reefers as the fishes have already build up their immune system so are more hardy than newer fishes from the shops,patience is key in this hobby.

Your PH so high? 8.6

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016