Identifying Different type of Clams

nqh71

Hi,

Just would like to check with all of you in Identifying Different type of Clams. How do you know whether it is maxima, croceas, derasa, squamosa or others. And what is the range of price in the market for the different types of the clams. Thanx.

most of us see the shell types and the patterns....squamosas are the easiest to spot coz their patterns are generally brown and biege and are quite big already when u see them in farms...

derasas i am not too sure how to identify other than looking at the patterns itself..hehe

maximas have asymmetrical shells...most of the time with large scutes on the shells...scutes meaning the shell protrusions...

crocea on the other hand...have more symmetrical shells...with smaller scutes...

actually u cannot just paste a price on the size and type of clams...

its the colours as well...if got those variety of patterns and colours...even crocea clams can go up to $100...hehe...

once you do alot of clam shopping..u will know if the clam is worth it at the price the shop is selling or not...

• SRC Member

May I ask among these maxima, croceas, derasa, squamosa clams...which are the ones that requires a strong light eg. MH??

I bought a croceas from LCK110 and was told that cultured clams dont really need a lot of lights?? :huh:

Anyway I am using 2 FL white (10kk,Ocean Sun & 9.6k Arcadia) and 1 actinic FL light. Hopefully is enough for my croceas.

Anyway I am using 2 FL white (10kk,Ocean Sun & 9.6k Arcadia) and 1 actinic FL light. Hopefully is enough for my croceas.

a piece of advice - Clams wont last long under those lights....my experience..either sell them or upgrade your lights soon..... ;)

• SRC Member
T5 or MH is the best....if u can afford.

Try putting them high up if u r using PL....but not for maxima or crocea.....they really need high light.

kschew: it's betta to do a direct upgrade to T5/MH instead of replacinf ur FL to PL

huh??? huh.gif What about PL lights? or either T5?? But T5 got 2ft? Pardon my ignorance...... dry.gif

T5 do come in 2ft... check them out at eaquanature.com, ATI T5s

a piece of advice - Clams wont last long under those lights....my experience..either sell them or upgrade your lights soon..... wink.gif

Strongly agree with DeepBlue on that, u wldnt wan ur $30 to go down the drain too?

somemore upgrading ur lights = betta success with much more corals :)

May I ask among these maxima, croceas, derasa, squamosa clams...which are the ones that requires a strong light eg. MH??

I bought a croceas from LCK110 and was told that cultured clams dont really need a lot of lights?? :huh:

But afterall clam is still clam, whther is clture or not, light is very important for them.

• SRC Member

Hi i think whichever sale person told u that theory is total crap !

culture clams are just the same as those they harvest from the sea..

They need the same amount of light and 3 FL arent enough . They would just die off in a few week .. I would suggest u to get at least T5..

I think the fault lies with the sale person who sold u the clam for giving such fake information and i think such problem lie with the sale person ,rather than the fish shop .

• SRC Member

Thanks bros.....will go seraching for 2ft T5 tomorrow!! ;)

I think have to post a thread to sell off my FL lights.... :( lelong lelong!! Shit....just bought an additional arcadia FL light a couple of days ago.... <_< $%$#@$%**( :pinch:

Ah Siao...I am really very tempting to buy MH for my 2 ft but was thinking to leave it to my future upgrade...kekeke 5 footer manz... :rolleyes:

Woonming.....agree..unless I have my chiller up or else the tank will be boiling....hahahaha :lol:

Hey....by the way can us back the same light frame (for FL currently) to use T5.... :huh: ????? Advise??

• SRC Member

The person who told u that cultured clams need less light ought to be

shot !! A salesperson for the farm some more . They ought to provide

true & accurate info..... So sad that this underhand method is used to move sales. :(

Pls change your lights soon or pass the clams to others for safe keeping first....