ID Help! Unusual...

• Senior Reefer

if they grow and spread to such extent, it means that your tank probably have sufficient food for it.

but as soon as the feeding stops, a decline in growth will be observed.

i also have them in my tank but different colour.

looks like some kind of invasive tunicate..

That's what I suspected...

It is a species of Botrylloides chain tunicate also known as tiger sponges... Difficult to keep alive and will die off after some time without proper feeding...

Wow. Okay thanks!

if they grow and spread to such extent, it means that your tank probably have sufficient food for it.

but as soon as the feeding stops, a decline in growth will be observed.

i also have them in my tank but different colour.

Thanks shifu! How do I keep it alive? There are like.. 2 or 3 small ones around the tank besides this one. Does that mean the tank is healthy?

Well... consolation is, at least it looks attractive. :P Too much of it, however, gives a skin crawling sensation, like some alien infestation.

Attack from MARS! :pinch:

• Senior Reefer

actually......

the parameters needed to grow such things need not be too good. contrary to that actually.

they grow very well in "dirty" water with dissolved nutrients. in normal tanks they are usually fed with phyto and other planktonic mumbo jumbo that i don't know the names of.

• SRC Member

It looks kinda Nice!

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

Well if such delicate sponges or tunicates can populate in your tank, I can surely said the perimeters of the tank is good to certain extent. :thumbsup:

It looks kinda Nice!

Thanks for the comments!

actually......

the parameters needed to grow such things need not be too good. contrary to that actually.

they grow very well in "dirty" water with dissolved nutrients. in normal tanks they are usually fed with phyto and other planktonic mumbo jumbo that i don't know the names of.

I dose my tank with phytoplankton every few days and use Selcon to supplement the corals and fishfood once a week. Could that be why it's growing so much? So far, no NH3 in tank, nitritesnitrates/phosphates all in low levels.

• 1 month later...