keeping wrasses

kksg2000

• SRC Member

hi bro..

i had started my reef tank for almost 6 months. In between, i had kept some wrasses e.g. yellowS, leopard, radiance.. all don't make it ... i'm wondering are there some problems with my sand substrate? my other fish and corals are doing good.

• Senior Reefer

wat grade sand are you using?

anything above grade 2 will kill them.

in fact, i only suggest grade 0 and 1. grade 2 is abit of a stretch and they can suffer serious injuries long term.

hi bro..

i had started my reef tank for almost 6 months. In between, i had kept some wrasses e.g. yellowS, leopard, radiance.. all don't make it ... i'm wondering are there some problems with my sand substrate? my other fish and corals are doing good.

Agree with BFG... Probably NTS? Do you hv any other aggressive fish?

Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

unlikely new tank syndrome.

6 months is enough for a tank to mature properly provided he has taken the proper steps and precaution.

yellow wrasse is very easy and if have a proper sandbed, won't die to easily.

same for radiant.

the leopard is abit harder.

• SRC Member

Agree with BFG... Probably NTS? Do you hv any other aggressive fish?

Cheers...

the only aggressive fish i can think of is my algae blenny which had killed a few of my sick fish... really regretted putting a algae blenny in my tank :(

• SRC Member

agree that it is not NTS... my tank is 4 years old but i also cannot keep wrasse... all they do is die on me....

• SRC Member

the only aggressive fish i can think of is my algae blenny which had killed a few of my sick fish... really regretted putting a algae blenny in my tank :(

Eh... kksg2000, algae blenny dun killed fishes especially wrasse. Most likely what you see is the blenny eating off the fish that is already dead.

i have no idea which grade it was. I used redsea substrate. http://www.redseafish.com/Prod188.asp

I am using poka shell from AM and mixed rounded live substrate from Jireh... should be far bigger size than your substrate... But I got most of wrasses you mention except radiant wrasses, all more than a years till now...

http://aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=287

Most wrasses could be very sensitive and super shy fish when first introduce.. But will turn very aggressive to same species (new tank mate) once adapted.. Therefore, adding new tank mate become more challenging..

Probably, try QT them before release.. and makesure they slowly adjusted to your system.. Try release them during night.. Also provide them enough hiding place..

Probably describe what other fishes you have and your tank size also live rock placement? Cause I notice my flame wrasse & mystery wrasses hosted cave at night.. and only my Yellow wrasses and blue star leopard in substrate..

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Eh... kksg2000, algae blenny dun killed fishes especially wrasse. Most likely what you see is the blenny eating off the fish that is already dead.

Bro, i saw the algae blenny chasing my sick fishs many times... and a few days later, these fishs died. :(

• SRC Member

I am using poka shell from AM and mixed rounded live substrate from Jireh... should be far bigger size than your substrate... But I got most of wrasses you mention except radiant wrasses, all more than a years till now...

http://aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=287

Most wrasses could be very sensitive and super shy fish when first introduce.. But will turn very aggressive to same species (new tank mate) once adapted.. Therefore, adding new tank mate become more challenging..

Probably, try QT them before release.. and makesure they slowly adjusted to your system.. Try release them during night.. Also provide them enough hiding place..

Probably describe what other fishes you have and your tank size also live rock placement? Cause I notice my flame wrasse & mystery wrasses hosted cave at night.. and only my Yellow wrasses and blue star leopard in substrate..

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

130l tank..

i am left with 2 X common clowns, 2 X fire goby, 1 X algae blenny, some small snails and crabs ... 1 X royce gamma..

Elegane, gonorapa, some zoas frags, plate, xenia, sun, supersun, open brian, duncan, sps Acropora ..

.. running skimmer, cheato, 2 X 55W stock lights and 4 X led tubes...

Bro, i saw the algae blenny chasing my sick fishs many times... and a few days later, these fishs died. :(

i have an algae blenny with me for 3yrs. at least 6inches and never once i see it chase any fish. Instead i see an aggressive anthias chasing it all the time. Also, i put in wrasses and i see them die too. i saw a candy hogfish kill my labotei plus multicolour wrasse. Others like the leopard wrasses didn't eat since i put it in my tank. And the cerisina wrasse

130l tank..

i am left with 2 X common clowns, 2 X fire goby, 1 X algae blenny, some small snails and crabs ... 1 X royce gamma..

Elegane, gonorapa, some zoas frags, plate, xenia, sun, supersun, open brian, duncan, sps Acropora ..

.. running skimmer, cheato, 2 X 55W stock lights and 4 X led tubes...

Should be fine.. your fishes all under semi-aggressive but still manageable.. in that case, try to cage new tank mate in betta box until stabilize b4 release.. and make sure enough hiding place for them... Some time, u might observed new wrasses MIA for a week when new or injured... they will join the crowd when familiar or recover...

Cheers and Happy Reefing..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore