Budget cost for starting a 2 ft marine tank

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the only thing I will use back will be the cannister filter, The light think I will go for LED type, any power requirement or watt for recommendation?

if I use back PL light what is the recommendation Wattage?

set up: 1) LR

2) Cleaning crew- shrimps

3) Nemo

4) some coral for nemo

here is the layout, can I put the chiller on top on below? as there is not enough space for both on the ground

tanklayout.jpg

and here is my cannister, how much flow is enough for a 2 ft tank?

filtercannister.jpg

• SRC Member

Wow u're hardworking. Ok for that I'll start giving my recommendations :thumbsup:

1) So you've decided to replace the tank... 2nd hand or brand new? If new, you might want to consider getting those with a filter partition within so u dun have to get an external filter. Of cse with the in-built filtration, the swimming space for the fishes will be less but again, it also depends on the kind and the number of fishes. Juz a pair of Nemo(Clownfish, maybe a beautiful pair of True Percs) and 1 Dory(Pacific Blue Tang) is def more than enuf for a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5ft(overall size) tank with some rocks and some very easy to keep corals(more of the Soft Corals type).

As for the flow rate of the filtration, a 1000L/hr return rate shd be good enuf. Usually ppl will recommend the flow rate to be 10x the total volume of the tank water but for a small tank like urs, if u're using a return pump that delivers more than 1000L/hr I'm afraid that the flow return flow will be too strong for the tank. This will cause everything inside the tank to sway here and there.

2) Cleaner shrimps can be Blood or Fire Shrimp(Lysmata debelius), Coral Banded Shrimp(Stenopus hispidus), Pacific/Skunk Cleaner Shrimp(Lysmata amboinensis). I know you'll see alot of nicer and beautiful shrimps, crabs and lobsters during your shopping trips when stocking up BUT PLEASE refrain from getting all the others less those I mention for a start. Reef lobsters are beautiful but they can start toppling ur rocks and also attack fishes. U'll gain more experience to keep this category of live stocks(LS) as u progress but not for now hor :superman:

3) Hmmm as for corals for the Clownfish... if u're referring to anemones... eh, will have to depends after setup and cycling completed. It's not easy to keep anemones healthy for a long period in a reef tank, it's a challenge and if one succeed, much experience will be gain. I've 2 in my tank and one is still struggling to survive beautifully after 3 mths. I'm referring to BTAs(Bubble tip anemones or some called it Rose Bubble Tip anemones). The other kind can be the normal mushrooms(in the order corallimorpharians) which are quite cheap price ranges from $5/- a rock of them to the more ex ones that can cost $30-$50/- per polyp(one pcs or one mouth). Cheap ones also got nice and beautiful one hor ;)

The cabinet looks like can't take the weight of the chiller. Based on the tank sizing, I'll estimate the amt of water to cool is ard 33Gal or 128L for the tank only. So suitable chiller size are 1/10 or 1/5, examples are TECO TR10 or Arctica DBA-075 or DBA-150 models. These are the more expensive brands and I personally uses Arctica. U can try the other makes such as Resun or Haeli. Do check out the Pasar Malam thread as from time to time, reefers do upgrade and sometime, u can get very good deals there :agreed: BUT PLEASE take note... it's willing buyer and willing seller principles :nc:

As for ur stand... can still use but will need some anti-rust treatment (can DIY) before getting new tank. Sand it down, apply metal primer and choice of paint color. As u're starting on this and I'm sure u'll wanna upgrade to a bigger tank in the future if u grow to luv this hobby, so dun need to spend too much on this round for the stand but do go for a solid wooden stand on the next upgrading which can set u back abt $400-$700 plus depending on size and also the choice of finishing.

Below is a link for u to read up before u start off ur marine journey...

Setting up a Marine tank!

Thanks Nitro, my friend is selling his teco chiller for his 3 ft to me at realy cheap price of $200 which he use less than a year. if I get a stronger cabinet, filter below and chiller top? or another way round? thanks for all the input.

as mention before that for a 2 ft tank, i must constantly wash the filter media my question is:

1) how do i wash the sponge media with salt water? tap water?

2) will replacement of new media like bio home during changing affect the tank?

3) My canister filter flow rate is 680L/hr is it enough?

thanks

Why don't you do more reading of the marine hobby before starting one?

A good first stop is actually here. Specifically, the members tank thread forum. There's a huge bunch of good setup that you learn from. I learnt a lot from them.

Unlike fresh water, marine requires you to culture a mini ecosystem within the confinement of your tank size. So understanding the basics ANN cycle is elementary. Next are why to keep. I recently went to library to borrow some marine book, it helps me understand better some search terms.

Don't rush into it, for this hobby calls for super patience.

Smaller tank size = more maintenance effort.

If u like a lot of fish, be prepared to get a big (read 3 to 4 feet) and a very efficient (read expensive) skimmer. The general rule of thumb, is 1 gallon of tank size to 1 inch of total fish size.

We all go through the phase of starting small, and for those "serious" reefers, the typical canister filter is not advisable.

Just do a quick poll, how many canisters users are there?

Then comes the water change, you need to nsure u either be hardworking to do water change weekly + top up daily, or your passion for this hobby will not go past 1 year (at best).

Cos the hassle and cost of replacing livestock will outweigh the enjoyment.

The honest truth is this hobby sucks up a lot of Money and time.

A decent setup (tank, light, saltmix, di water preparation, resins, carbon, test kits, pumps, livestock, electricity, water, food etc etc will set you back by:

one-time start up: from $500 (sometimes u get a good deal from pasar malam)

monthly outlay: additional $100 in electrical bill, some odd fish/coral purchases.

All said, it's a rewarding hobby. Nothing beats the fact that you are creating a piece of the marine ecosystem in your living room, is a great achievement.The fishes are also nicer in colouration compares to most freshwater ornamental fish.

Pls do read more, use google... It will help you find the answers to you question.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member

Thanks Nitro, my friend is selling his teco chiller for his 3 ft to me at realy cheap price of $200 which he use less than a year. if I get a stronger cabinet, filter below and chiller top? or another way round? thanks for all the input.

as mention before that for a 2 ft tank, i must constantly wash the filter media my question is:

1) how do i wash the sponge media with salt water? tap water?

2) will replacement of new media like bio home during changing affect the tank?

3) My canister filter flow rate is 680L/hr is it enough?

thanks

1) Wash with Salt water/do not wash

all ur fliter media at the same time

2) Add slowly/in a small no.

3) canister filter is a no/is bascially

a nitrate factory

Good Luck

1) Wash with Salt water/do not wash

all ur fliter media at the same time

2) Add slowly/in a small no.

3) canister filter is a no/is bascially

a nitrate factory

Good Luck

Blur!! Blur! bro nitro say I can use back my cannister , now u say cannot, I am a bit blur now

• SRC Member

Blur!! Blur! bro nitro say I can use back my cannister , now u say cannot, I am a bit blur now

if you have no intention of using a new fliter system,

you can use back ur cannister.but do check your water parameter

on and off~~ Not many ppl use cannister for Reef keeping

Since yours is a 2ft tank~ You can do water changes twice

a week in order to have a good water parameter.

And use only Distilled water for top up/

Water changes/Distilled water with gd salt mix

NEVER use TAp water!!

Follow the basics~ and you can save on costing $$$

There is no definite right or wrong. Advices given, just analyse them and choose one you believed in. Some failed in using bioball while others succeeded. Choose one where u are comfortable and just continue to seek advices from the bro who provided the advice. All the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Hmmm... dun think I said that but I did mentioned that u post a pic and allow us to advice from there. Anyway I'm not offended or anything like that.

Must say there are always diff sch of thoughts. Some will said this while some will said that... I would said there is no right or wrong BUT only individual experience and preference will cause one to decided which is best. Braincoral is not wrong to said that canister is a no no. As the bio-load for marine tank are quite demanding and if a canister is under-sized, this will greatly affect the whole eco-system and plus the hassle of regular maintenance(can be fortnightly or once a month on top of the routine tank wall cleaning etc). The diff between a canister and a sump/refugium is that the latter allow for a easier maintenance and also more forgiving should there be a failure(can be power failure or bacteria outbreak) in the filtration system.

I used to have another small tank using canister but must said the tank condition is not the most ideal and it does limit the type and number of fishes that I can keep.

Back to ur setup... Ur canister might not be ideally sized for a 2ft marine tank. However it can still do it's job if the tank is not heavily stock, if keeping only 1 pair of Clownfish(True Percs) and 1 Pacific Blue Tang(Dory), 2 Turbo snails, 1 Abalone, 2 Cleaner shrimps and maybe some small hermit crabs as cleaning crews. This life stock list will cost an estimated $120. If u planned to hook up the chiller via this same canister, then it'll def not be enuf in the flow rate. I believed u're setting up this tank for ur children :upsidedown: but of cse the actual person is the father which is u lar :eyebrow: By the way is there a tank on the bottom rack? Can consider using that as a sump tank.

Juz a rough work out of the cost for u, estimated.

1) LS = $120(as mentioned above based on that list)

2) Rocks = $80-$150(depends on the amt and also from which LFS)

3) chiller = $200(2nd hand, 1yr old Teco from ur friend... if really it's 1yr old from 1st owner, it's real good buy. What's the model?)

4) Sand/Substrate = $100-300(again depends on type and LFS)

5) Ur new tank? = can cost between $100-$300(from off-the-shelf to custom-made)

6) Accessories such as wave makers(powerheads) and if using sump tank for filtration u'll need return pump, PVC piping/soft hose etc. Lighting, skimmers, marine salt mix... all these can cost from $300-$800. Of cse can always go for 2nd hand at the Pasar Malam. I hope this will give u a feel of how much u might need to spend for even a simple setup. For beginner, my advice is to get the basic setup and critical(lighting, type of filtration system and skimmer) equipments first.

The above mentioned LS list are not light demanding so u might want to re-use the light set and at the most juz replace the tubes. FL tubes can still be use for Marine, it's juz that FL tubes won't be able to support a tank with corals and esp the demanding ones. However some corals can still be kept under FL tubes such as some of the less light demanding mushrooms, Discosoma species.

Do continue to feel free to ask and clarify any doubts and questions in this forum and also to Google and read up. Did u go to the link that I've provided? :friends::thumbsup:

Thanks I have read that before u post, ya below the tank is my daughter hermit crab and u are right nemo is for my daughter too. Thanks for input I think I get the shelf first then hook up the chiller , and cycle the tank, first. Then go slowly on that. Maybe I try the canister for recycling see if it work if it doesn't then I get a new one. As for recycling do I on the skimmer and light?

• SRC Member

Is ur friend who's selling u the chiller a reefer too? If so maybe u can engage his help too.

If u're using the existing canister, u must replace all the filter media and also any bio-stones or rocks within. From the photo shown, it's seems to me that the tank is expose to natural Sun light. So during this period, I would said On or Off the light is not really critical. U might want to put in rocks during this period too. If rocks are in, I would advice switching on the skimmer.

U can maintained a simple yet beautiful marine tank with small amt of LS even with a canister filtration but as I've mentioned, u'll need to be abit more hardworking by doing water replacement(abt 20-30%) every week or fortnightly. In this way, u can have a feel of keeping a simple marine tank without first spending the money in getting all the high-end equipments and also dousing all the diff kind of supplements. Regular water replacement will help to maintain the condition(supplements) of the tank too. What skimmer are u using?

Oh u might want to consider having a blue color back-drop for the back of the tank. Can purchase this from most LFS, get the OBAMA... I meant OYAMA brand sticker... haha! To apply, clean the glass surface with water and clean cloth, make sure no stains are left. Next wet the sticker surface (the sticky side) with abit of water, than slowly apply the sticker onto the glass surface with the help of a long plastic ruler or anything flat. Do it slowly so that all bubbles trap can be push out. With water sprayed onto both surfaces of the glass and sticker, u can still remove and adjust here and there should u need to but once fully stick on and dry it'll be diff to re-adjust.

PLS NOTE... all recommendation and methods I've given above is based on the understanding that the choice of LS kept is as I've suggested.

Thanks, my frend is giving up his crystal red shrimp so not a reefer, ya thinking of black instaed of blue as I have done the same method u mention for my previous tank on top. Thank for all the help and suggestion, at least now I have some direction. As mention in the link during cycling need to put dead shrimp , do I get from market?

As for skimmer check the price range is about $180, any requirement for the power head for 2 ft? Can't rembr the brand

• SRC Member

Thank, so to top up my 2 feet tank for recycling process I need to buy 51 bottle of distill water ?

If you are using chiller~~

not much of toping up of water will

be needed

It all depend on the daily evaporation rate.

Purpose is to stabilise your SG Level

You can use either NSW(obtain from lfs or Prepared

Salt mix(Various brands)..

It will be better to use distill water to pre mix

it with reef salt so as to obtain impurities free pure salt water

Calculate the total volume of your tank and divide by

1.5 L and you will know how many bottles you need :)

If you are using chiller~~

not much of toping up of water will

be needed

It all depend on the daily evaporation rate.

Purpose is to stabilise your SG Level

You can use either NSW(obtain from lfs or Prepared

Salt mix(Various brands)..

It will be better to use distill water to pre mix

it with reef salt so as to obtain impurities free pure salt water

Calculate the total volume of your tank and divide by

1.5 L and you will know how many bottles you need :)

Thanks alot Lol! No wonder last time I saw one guy buy so many distill water thought he on picnic or what, now I knw why

• SRC Member

Well u can make a bulk order from those water supplier as they might give u a good discount. Anyway for me, I used tap water as our tap water does not have that much of heavy metal and other unwanted chemical compound. I usually keep a big bucket of water overnite for a day or 2 before I pre-mix the marine salt. I used to add de-chlorinator for any water replacement but now I switch to the former method and it works well for me.

I think u shd go for a blue rather than a black background. With the blue and white lighting and when coralline algae grows on the rocks, with a blue background it does brings out the contrast of the tank better. A black one can be very dark unless u're going for breeding.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Thanks for all the suggestion for bros out there, this is what I have done:

1) repaint the stand

2) get a new shelf from ikea and installed reinforcement below to take the 15kg chiller

3) new tank

4) blue back ground

5) change filter media to bio-home plus , carbon and coral chips

think run with cannister for cycling first , cos I am broke at the moment , maybe next month get the protein skimmer and LED lighting btw which skimmer is recommended, the Prism skimmer or the Delmec?

phototank.jpg

• SRC Member

Metal stand really need to take care very well.

Rust very fast. Take note of the welding part. Joint etc.

Rust,give way n that's it!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Hi, Thanks for all the suggestion for bros out there, this is what I have done:

1) repaint the stand

2) get a new shelf from ikea and installed reinforcement below to take the 15kg chiller

3) new tank

4) blue back ground

5) change filter media to bio-home plus , carbon and coral chips

think run with cannister for cycling first , cos I am broke at the moment , maybe next month get the protein skimmer and LED lighting btw which skimmer is recommended, the Prism skimmer or the Delmec?

phototank.jpg

Thanks for taking my recommendation on biohome plus as your bio filter. Good stuff. I use a KG of it myself.

MOST important. please be patient and DON'T introduce any livestock (fish, coral, inverts, etc...) into your tank until it's fully cycled. Use a livestock-less cycling method.

You can go canister only during cycling, no need to hook up the chiller. Like I said before, you need the chiller only if you keep corals. To hook up the chiller, my recommended waterflow is Tank to canister to chiller to tank. this way, the water flowing to your chiller is filtered and it'll keep your chiller's cooling compartment cleaner and more effective for longer period of time.

If you intend to have sand and/or rocks in your tank, better put them in at the start of the cycle.

Your electrical wiring should all have drip loops to prevent short circuits.

Invest in a skimmer later, when your bioload increases. With regards to brand/model each hobbyist swear by their own. Do your research, short list the ones with good reviews, then get the one that fits your budget. My original post had provided some choices. I use a Tunze 9002.

I also previously mentioned a surface skimmer for your canister. if you don't have one, the top layer of water in your tank will eventually be covered with protein, oil,etc... Reducing the vital gas exchange needed to keep your tank properly oxygenated.

Chiller is the equipment that will consume the most electricity.

Metal stand rusts. Be careful. 1 liter of salt water is roughly 1.025 kilograms. So think about how much kilograms (tank, water, rocks, sand, etc...) is your stand actually supporting.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

And 1 more thing also. Your tank small,dun intro too many fishes in it...

Happy reefing :)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

That make me worry, but previously I am also having 1 tank on top and one below think I gotta to add support on the wall

Saltwater is much more corrosive than Freshwater. That's the difference.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)