Glass Thickness for Marine Tank?

pet

Hi everyone,

I would like to collect your personal view with regards to thickness of glass for a maximum bullet proof Marine Tank. I've went to a Custom Tank Manufacturer and the Boss has indicted that 1cm thickness is his standard for 3ft to 5ft Tank. I'm looking at customizing a 4~5ft tank with narrower width to fit my master bedroom......is 6cm thickness enough?

Any suggestion on overflow or ......whatever setup innovative setup?

Any good recommendation of Marine Tank Mfgr? ...without burning a hole to my pocket.

BTW, got a friend to buy a new RED SEA Prizm Skimmer(New 18 propeller pump type ) from HK @ SGD 170 !!! If you guys are visiting HK......try your luck there @ this famous street where you have20 ~ 30 Aquarium shop side b side! Sorry, forgoten the street name.......................will post again!

Thanx a million

• SRC Member

6mm thickness not advisable for 5 feet tank. It will not take the load. 1cm should be OK for 5 feet.

My 2 feet sump glass is 5mm.

If you want good view of your tank use Sapphire glass. More costly but doesn't warp when you look at it closely. Front view should be Sapphire.

Perhaps you might like my lobang.

My tank was inspected by Hon and PacificBetta and they have gone to make orders with the guy who made my tank.

He is able to help with the Starphire glass if you like and he can also use the best building silicon in the market.

His prices are reasonable too.

AT

ps - I think 6mm is not advisable for a 5 feet tank too!

FYI, very good info.....a bit out of alignment...

Glass Thickness as a function of length and depth (Metric Scale) Length in cm -->

Depth 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 110 120 130 140 150 160 170 180 190

90 d d d e e e e e e f f f f f f f f f f

80 c d d d d e e e e e e e e f f f f f f

70 c c d d d d d e e e e e e e e e e e e

60 c c c d d d d d d e e e e e e e e e e

50 b c c c c d d d d d d d d e e e e e e

40 b b c c c c c d d d d d d d d d d d d

30 a b b b c c c c c c d d d d d d d d d

20 a a b b b b b c c c c c c c c c c c c

10 a a a a b b b b b b b b b b b c c c c

Key: Vertical Base

a 4 mm (1/6") 6 mm (1/4")

b 5 mm (1/5") 6 mm (1/4")

c 6 mm (1/4") 10 mm (2/5")

d 10 mm (2/5") 12 mm (1/2")

e 12 mm (1/2") 15 mm (3/5")

f 15 mm (3/5") 20 mm (4/5")

• SRC Member

i doubt 6mm is able to support the weight of 4ft.. go for 10mm and above.. me using 12mm thickness for my 4ft tank

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Ah yah just buy a H & S skimmer....its comparable to the famous ETSS (external tower scrubber skimmer).....no more worries abt the performance or looks or power comsumption....BEST skimmer so far in Singapore.....btw I not selling for SAM ...just my opinion :D

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]