Poomoon Upsized

poomoon

• SRC Member

:( just a while ago, i was looking at my female wrasse, suddenly my clown dives fast down, grabs her by back, and carries her around the tank while wiggling wildly time to time :o i quickly tried tapping the glass also while grabbing my turkey blaster, then with a big swing throws her away, and she just start sinking, breathing heavily, until she just drops almost lifeless on the sand. i quickly got her and placed her in quarantine... now she's lying on her side,breathing very heavy, jerking around time to time ... hope she survives this ordeal ... just last night watched octo on human prey about grizzlies ... my clown became one ... :cry2: what suddenly prompted that attack, i wouldn't understand ...

why die? flames are easy especially the females.

what's your quarantine condition like?

i never quarantine wrasses because i don't see a need. wrasses are almost always disease free upon arrival and are very disease resistant.

angels, clowns, butterflies and tangs are the ones that need more stringent quarantine procedures should you decide to do so.

hey bro, i think you missed my earlier post i quoted here ... she was grabbed near the head ... i didn't know my clown can bite like that is if a tiger lcoked on it's prey ... like i said i didn't understand what happened ... :cry2:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• Senior Reefer

hey bro, i think you missed my earlier post i quoted here ... she was grabbed near the head ... i didn't know my clown can bite like that is if a tiger lcoked on it's prey ... like i said i didn't understand what happened ... :cry2:

oh yes. sorry i did not see the above post.

clowns can be extremely aggressive especially females.

they will defend their territory very aggressively. it gets worse when they are spawning.

• SRC Member

oh yes. sorry i did not see the above post.

clowns can be extremely aggressive especially females.

they will defend their territory very aggressively. it gets worse when they are spawning.

ya, clownfishes are quite violent... like my ketchup, my tomato clown... keeps on biting the fins of the wrasses... he only bochup the TANGS and green wrasse.

it's ok. yeah time to time i see my clown harrass a little, but first time i see a real bite, it's like a cat mom carrying her litter ... another thing is, the flame was on the oppostie side of the clown's territory, maybe got jealous when she saw my face near the flame !

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

hmm frm the pic, ur bubble coral looked like u pasted at the back of ur tank..

yeah, the 2 head bubble has been with me for quite long already, and has grown about 4x size. it's too huge now for my tank actually, so the only place i saw that i can place it is by the wall. i have one of those suction cups with a clip, so just clipped and stuck it. it expands to bigger than an adult size open palm now :blink: looks good coz it creates a floating effect ...

post-17191-0-15576800-1295094450_thumb.j

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

very well done, brilliant idea on the suction cups! and beautiful ball of sun!

Wow... must be feeding your suns reef steroids. CADE tanks look nice... hmmm....

thanks bros. actually, i don't feed my suns that often, only twice direct feedings / week - on 1 day Fauna Marin ultra LP, and another day with frozen mysis. Indirect, turn off filter and skimmer, 2x a week i drop a small ice cube of stuff i mixed (freeze dried cyclopeeze, phycopure, zeo coral vitalizer) and just let the 6025 flow them away :superman:

i agree peace, the cade tank is like ada, clean and very minimal silicon, and the opti-white glass gives it quite good clarity ... though what i have is 6mm only ... so far still ok B)

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

sorry to hear about your female flame :rip:

slowly through my reefing journey i learnt (mostly through the hard way) on the dangers of aggressive fishes especially when you have really treasured fishes in the same tank. are you intending to replace the female?

on a lighter note i love how you're making use of the crystal 3 sided! people often neglect the view from two sides and don't really keep them as clean as the front view (i personally am guilty of this sometimes :P). and you did a great job on the cover :thumbsup: it spoils the rimless open top effect but thats the price to pay for keeping fish staying in the tank :lol:

• SRC Member

sorry to hear about your female flame :rip:

slowly through my reefing journey i learnt (mostly through the hard way) on the dangers of aggressive fishes especially when you have really treasured fishes in the same tank. are you intending to replace the female?

on a lighter note i love how you're making use of the crystal 3 sided! people often neglect the view from two sides and don't really keep them as clean as the front view (i personally am guilty of this sometimes :P). and you did a great job on the cover :thumbsup: it spoils the rimless open top effect but thats the price to pay for keeping fish staying in the tank :lol:

thanks bro. still thinking, my tank is a couple's tank ... the price to gat a mated pair, is still ok, but now knowing how my clowns can turn into like predators, is like a 50/50 risk that i'd have to think twice. though not as much, the clowns chase the male a little, so instead i may have to let him go if it turns worse :unsure: at least other than the flame, they don't mind the others.

on the cover, thanks. a rimless open top is really clean, and i only diy the cover for the flames, tried to make it still as neat as possible. aquastar is really a good place for these things :thumbsup: that's where the black suction cup and the diy black eggcrates came from. as for the view, yeah eventually i would even want an all-sides-view :D but that has to be quite a big tank. i just try my best now to balance the 3-sides with some life :P cheers !

25 Gal Micro Ocean

my supers ... really a sun ball already, now about 43 heads formed into a half ball ... :eyebrow:

post-17191-0-39829700-1295095028_thumb.j

Awesome looking Sun :thumbsup:

Always liked them but thought have to feed daily. Will now reconsider given your experience. cheers

300G Main Display - 7 x 3 x 3, 60G Sump

4 x Tunze 6105 + 7095 controller, 2 x Eden 5000 l/hr main return

1HP Reefcool Compressor

4 x Reeflux 250W 12K MH with dimmable ballast + ATI T5 blue actinic

Super Reef Octopus 5000 skimmer, Skimz PO4 Reactor, 36W UV sterilizer

Bubble Magus 7 Channel Dosing Pump

• SRC Member

Awesome looking Sun :thumbsup:

Always liked them but thought have to feed daily. Will now reconsider given your experience. cheers

thanks bro. when i started with it, i used to feed it every other day. but time to time i observed it throwing up "undigested mysis". so i slowly backed off. important thing is to see how it reacts, and how healthy it still looks. during lights on, 70-80% of the time they're open. and during lights off, i always see them 100% full extension, some of the heads extending up to one inch out. so far 3 heads melted few months ago, not sure if it was someking of disease, started with one head, then the next, then the next, when that happened i removed the whole ball and quarantined it first, gave it some turkey-blasting of NSW like a bath. after that it was ok. cheers ! :rolleyes:

25 Gal Micro Ocean