Tang Combination

11 members have voted

1. 1. Will this combination work out?

• YES
    • NO
    • 50 / 50 Chance (Will just have to risk and try)

Hi Guys,

My 3 x 2 x 2 tank has been up and running for awhile now.Im ready to start inserting some livestock. Was curious if this combination of tangs would work out? I intend to put them in at the same time to avoid any territoral aggression.

I do understand that tangs are best kept single in one tank, but has anyone had experience with keeping more than one tang?

1. Powder Blue Tang

2. Kole Tang

3. Hippo Tang (Aka. Blue Tang)

Will this work out? Any comments will be appreciated! :ThanxSmiley:

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Yes its best if u can introduce at the same time... But watch for ur pbt. Its an itch magnet. N ur tank is still new. Not yet mature. Itch will definately occur. Gd luck bro... Btw do u hav a uv light. If not, better to hav one... Gd luck. Cheers... :)

This sequence would be great: tang 1, 3 then 2. Get them in small sizes also help reduce the aggression. These tangs are from different genus, not much a problem. Resting period for them to get established would be great if its 1 week, too long later too established more aggressive, too short later uncomfortable. IMO, i dont add alot tangs all at one shot, later got ammonia spike then problem come :evil:

UV will also help in ich, but remember cannot cure one, only reduce. Cycling your tank properly before adding the fishes.

good luck :cheers:

Thanks for the great advise guys! Got a better understanding now.

My tank has been cycling for about a month now, used NSW, completely decomposed 2 large size market prawn. Did a 50% water change. Salifert test kits read 0 ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate is within controllable range.

I guess i'll be investing in a UV sterilizer as recommanded by everyone. Thinking of going for the 6x coralife uv sterilizer :thumbsup:

Hmm, another question i have. Currently, i have my powder blue tang in a quranteen tank for about 2 days only. Everything looks alright as of now. Planning to do at least a 2 week quranteen. Problem is, the tank is only 30l with an IOS. Can i quranteen the Powder blue tang and a Hippo Tang together at the same time? Will the space constrains result in aggression?

Really appreciate the tips and advise! Happy reefing! :D

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Intro them at the same time should not need to quarantine ma?

Scaping play a very important part for the tangs too.

If yours a fowlr tank (no chiller),most likely itch for your PBT will not occur as warm water cannot produce white spot.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Hmmm, don't think it will prevent ich but warmer water will increase the metabolism of the tank inhabitant including ich. This is useful to speed up the life cycle of ich so as to increase the chance of treating them through medications.

However, increase temperature do have its disadvantages:

1. Undue stress to fishes that are accustomed to cooler waters
  2. Reduce oxygen saturation

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I never have aggression problems with Kole and Hippo. The powder series is very aggressive though.

I would suggest you do 3, 2, 1.

Decide on which power tang you want because once it is stable in your tank, it will harass all other newly added tangs regardless of shape size and sub-species.

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

Intro them at the same time should not need to quarantine ma?

Scaping play a very important part for the tangs too.

If yours a fowlr tank (no chiller),most likely itch for your PBT will not occur as warm water cannot produce white spot.

My understanding of quranteen is so that i can observe for any illness or ich on the tangs. Or am i wrong about this? If i introduce both to the DT, no need quranteen?

I Love Stagsss

I agree that powder blue is very aggressive, but its also very prone to illness. If the addition intervals are perfect, aggression wouldn't be a problem. However I had seen aggressive kole tang being even more agressive than a yellow tang. I have seen this guy having a matured tank with a yellow tang but yet his new addition of the kole tang affected the general "peace" of the aquarium. The kole tang even ended up like a damsel beating up the yellow tang, the owner had no choice but to remove it. Hope this will help you, dont judge a fish by this looks :thumbsup:

It really depends on yr luck. If u really like pbt, then settle a small one first then add in other bigger tangs. Reason being they are ich magnet. However, they are aggressive and may be aggressive towards all new fishes. Following pbt is blue tang, also an ich magnet. If u want to battle ich and spot, don't add coral and go for hypo. Other best option is copper but when after usage can keep corals is subjective. If yr tank got no other fishes and u happen to get 3 stable specimen, introducing all three is still possible. All the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Yup best is to have all tangs in together but due to Yr tank is new,over stocking is an issue too..

As for me now me have 5 tangs... Me introduce one by one bout two weeks to three weeks apart..

So far been good jus a few chasing for the first two days after that all ok..

So good luck bro...

Cheers..!!

entering into a new world reef..

TANK :- 3 x 2 x 2 (Sump 2 x 1.5 x 1.5)

SALT :- H2Ocean Natural Reef Salt

LIGHTING :- DE Lighting Retrofit (4 x 39w 3Feet T5 ATI)

SKIMMER :- Octopus Skimmer

SKIMZ FR :- Chemi-Pure + Seachem Phosphate Remover

WAVEMAKER :- SunSun TwinHead

CHILLER :- Resun CL450

Filter :- Lots of bio balls ( Dry & Wet )+ Chaetos + Mangroves + LR

3 FT DECOM...

Great Infomation! I guess i'll be giving it a try by introducing the PBT and Hippo first, followed by the kole. Maybe a week apart from each?

Also, i intend on getting a UV steriliser. Really mixed reviews on it, but worth the try since currently i do not have many corals yet and ich is most likely to occur during the initial start up phase according to many. Gradually, i will decrease my dependency on it. Hopefully i wont be needing it after 6 mths. Big investment but hope it reaps rewards for me. What do u guys think?

AGGRESION N ITCH!!! SIGHHHHH...

Really appreciate the feedback guys. Still have more to learn :)

I Love Stagsss

Wah why 6 months, you can tahan that long ar? :ooh::D

if you got money then gd for u buy the uv, for me lol don't have such luxury. For me, i acclimate & quarantine properly, dont stress fish can liao.

BTW this forum got some great info about ich cycle, check it out very useful. If you just started the tank keep it fishless for about 2-3 months i think the ich parasites will be gone.

Then you quarantine every one of your new addition make it 100% ich parasite free, alot trouble but u get rewarding healthy fishes :eyebrow:

For me if u did a proper cycling no ich break out.. So far mine the tangs have no ich problem...

Jus don't rush ait bro...

Cheers..!! Hope u have a peaceful community of tangs...

entering into a new world reef..

TANK :- 3 x 2 x 2 (Sump 2 x 1.5 x 1.5)

SALT :- H2Ocean Natural Reef Salt

LIGHTING :- DE Lighting Retrofit (4 x 39w 3Feet T5 ATI)

SKIMMER :- Octopus Skimmer

SKIMZ FR :- Chemi-Pure + Seachem Phosphate Remover

WAVEMAKER :- SunSun TwinHead

CHILLER :- Resun CL450

Filter :- Lots of bio balls ( Dry & Wet )+ Chaetos + Mangroves + LR

3 FT DECOM...

• SRC Member

My understanding of quranteen is so that i can observe for any illness or ich on the tangs. Or am i wrong about this? If i introduce both to the DT, no need quranteen?

If it's for illness observation purposes,quarantine is a good idea...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

If it's for illness observation purposes,quarantine is a good idea...

• 1 year later...

i had a beautiful yellow tang in the tank over a year. Then i added a smaller size purple tang in. The yellow tang attacked the purple tang for a couple of days. The fins of the purple tang were torn and bitten off. Then the squabbles between the two became less aggressive. 12 months later the purple tang grew in strength and started attacking the yellow tang more aggresively. Not long thereafter, the yellow tang died.

i had a beautiful yellow tang in the tank over a year. Then i added a smaller size purple tang in. The yellow tang attacked the purple tang for a couple of days. The fins of the purple tang were torn and bitten off. Then the squabbles between the two became less aggressive. 12 months later the purple tang grew in strength and started attacking the yellow tang more aggresively. Not long thereafter, the yellow tang died.

Wahhha. I better take note cos I just addded a small purple tang and my resident larger yellow tang attacked it for a few days. Now aggression had stop but have to watch out when the purple tang grow in size and start attacking th eyellow tang..........

I got purple tang, yellow tang & brown tang. I put them two week apart first purple tang then yellow tang & brown tang together. At first purple show his power to brown tang but scare of yellow tang. Hope this cycle remain. Anyone know if i put kole tang with this 3 tang fight like no tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, just to share here. I had started with a Regal tang about 4" . Follow by PBT 3" & last purple tang 2". Knowing that my purple tang is the wiping boy at start. I have set up a small enclosed rock clave for her to hide. It really helps her to cope well n shield from other tangs aggressions. After all, sizes does matters of who rules the tank. Cheers.

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155