Reefs of Singapore

yikai

• Senior Reefer

The following pictures are all taken from an organization called reef watch singapore. for more pictures you can visit their profile on facebook and like them.

here's some beautiful gorgeous corals. omg.

post-15755-0-23821700-1296844372_thumb.j

post-15755-0-88719000-1296844397_thumb.j

post-15755-0-82592800-1296844402_thumb.j

post-15755-0-77863200-1296844408_thumb.j

post-15755-0-89668600-1296844415_thumb.j

post-15755-0-40053200-1296844421_thumb.j

post-15755-0-48626200-1296844431_thumb.j

post-15755-0-31476000-1296844439_thumb.j

post-15755-0-54649500-1296844447_thumb.j

post-15755-0-93168400-1296844462_thumb.j

post-15755-0-72755100-1296844474_thumb.j

post-15755-0-17835800-1296844502_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

i knew singapore had some nice corals but never this nice!! some of them are super amazing like the blue favias etc.

i make no attempt to steal the photos and credit goes to reef watch singapore. for more photos please look them up on facebook and like their profile.

• SRC Member
  • Senior Reefer

some of them are found in kusu island and sisters island. i guess it's assessable to public that's why the photos can be taken.

the corals are really gorgeous. look at the zoas and the favias.

but i think not allowed to bring home and best not to. singapore's reefs already so dead. this is probably the last glimmer of hope left.

no fence around that area

so consider accessible to public?

theres a grassland patch beside it

how to get there? hahahaha

Nevertheless, don't take from Singapore lah. Already so kns with so much phytoplankton around. Give our fisheries and reef-beds a chance to grow and propagate (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Just a note, it is illegal to collect any livestock from reefs around singapore. Even a dead shell is not allowed.

Chek Jawa broadwalk is open to public but not the intertidal area. You need NParks approved personal to bring you down. Normally, this is done during their public walks. Do check http://www.wildsingapore.com/ for more information

If anyone is interested to view rich biodiversity in Singapore reef, do sign up the various walks offered by various organisation (NParks, RMBR, Etc). They do conduct regular visit/walks to places like Chek Jawa, Pulau Semakau, Labrador, etc.

Cheers

Not sure if its a rumor, but heard that corals that were confiscated by ava were planted on alot of reefs around the island. Especially the island that was used for land reclamation

• SRC Member

Not sure if its a rumor, but heard that corals that were confiscated by ava were planted on alot of reefs around the island. Especially the island that was used for land reclamation

i am not surprise...perhaps, i shd work in AVA...n bring home those confiscated corals

l7304smr.jpg

Thanks for sharing Lemon, those blue LPS are so beautiful !!!

Singapore was known to be one of the richest diversity area in terms of corals, unfortunately that has gave way to all the modern developments, reclaimation etc...

If only anyone knows there are some volunteers organisation who are active in re-planting the corals back, please let me know, i will be happy to donate every specimen i have to get it propagated back in our waters !

• Like 1

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

Thanks for sharing Lemon, those blue LPS are so beautiful !!!

Singapore was known to be one of the richest diversity area in terms of corals, unfortunately that has gave way to all the modern developments, reclaimation etc...

If only anyone knows there are some volunteers organisation who are active in re-planting the corals back, please let me know, i will be happy to donate every specimen i have to get it propagated back in our waters !

:bow::score: to Dr Ang.... so generous and kind!!! years later that area will be filled with corals from your house tank! (hopefully those officials do know the condition of the place before putting it there haha)

• SRC Member

While I applaude the generosity of CedricAng, I feel we might cause some risk or form an imbalance in the local habitat. For years, certain corals only thrive in our waters is because of the environment. Certain species can cope with our local waters but those that can't perish. This is the way mother nature intend things to be. The fittest survive but because they were able to NATURALLY.

To introduce a foreign species that did not go through what mother nature intend is not a good idea. Foreign species that got a 'leg up ' by our action might decimate certain coral population already existing in our local habitat. We could introduce new species but in the long term, some other species might be wiped out.

• 5 months later...