What are these? Algae?

unltd

Hi All, wanted to check what are these I have on the live rock. They started appearing and not sure what they are.

The thing in the middle with "arms" coming out and are algae supposed to come in pink and purple?

Good stuff or bad stuff?

post-19052-0-88472000-1298014046_thumb.g

• SRC Member

if no joe's juice as the last time I checked there was no stock you can try the other brand I think it's called Ultralife. I used that and it seems to work. Just a bit more hassle to use as you need to dilute the crystals with water before using it whilst joes juice is all premixed for you.

It seems to work also but JOe's juice seems to be the preferred choice.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

BTW how to remove it?

There was 2, one is gone. Now it's only this left.

For aiptasia remove,

you can try :

Joe`s Juice (http://www.reefdepot.com.sg/AddProduct.asp?ProdID=1116)

or alternatively can uses kalkwasser spray as well...

also suggested add peppermint shrimp for cleaning and aiptasia control purpose.. Cheers

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

cannot see doesn't mean it's dead. They can shrink into very small holes when disturbed. You can consider getting peppermint shrimp. Iwarna might still have.

Good Luck.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

aiptasia. pest anemones.. remove before they spread..

Try get kalkwasser mixes.. follow instruction as video below (note* video below using another alternative lemonade juice). U can apply the same procedure on Joe's Juice as well..

If possible take your infected rock out to cure/inject. If not possible or too huge then just follow video above..

Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Another alternative Aiptasia predator : Berghia Nudibranchs

Pretty rare & ex here.. So, to me this is just for our own knowledge or information only.. Cheers..

post-9248-0-33913100-1298035040_thumb.jp

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Wow, thats really quick reply. Seems like its dying off, turned bownish, so will leave it alone for the moment.

The purple/pinkish stuff on the rock? And the red stuff? All ok right?

The purple one is coralline.

The red stuff could be red sponge or red slime?.. pic a bit implicit. Any photosynthesis bubble observed? or may be try to syringe spray on it.. If easily remove then possible red slime algae..

Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

The purple one is coralline.

The red stuff could be red sponge or red slime?.. pic a bit implicit. Any photosynthesis bubble observed? or may be try to syringe spray on it.. If easily remove then possible red slime algae..

Cheers..

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Just went to buy 3 peppermint shrimps (package price at iwarna), finally finished accilmatising and putting them into the tank.

Not sure what are photosynthesis bubbles, but think it should be algae. Harmful to the tank? If not I just leave it alone.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Just went to buy 3 peppermint shrimps (package price at iwarna), finally finished accilmatising and putting them into the tank.

Not sure what are photosynthesis bubbles, but think it should be algae. Harmful to the tank? If not I just leave it alone.

Cheers..

post-9248-0-55073600-1298174046_thumb.jp

post-9248-0-30418800-1298174231_thumb.jp

below some text from "Bob Goemans, marine algae control secrets, pg 11".

"Red slime is cyanobacteria. It is photosynthetic and can rapidly cover wide areas. Most of the time it is considered a nuisance because it can get out of control "very" quickly. However, some very small patches on the substrate should not be cause for alarm as it is one of the earliest microbial colonizers. Only mat-like growths should be removed"

:cheers:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Cheers..

post-9248-0-55073600-1298174046_thumb.jp

post-9248-0-30418800-1298174231_thumb.jp

below some text from "Bob Goemans, marine algae control secrets, pg 11".

"Red slime is cyanobacteria. It is photosynthetic and can rapidly cover wide areas. Most of the time it is considered a nuisance because it can get out of control "very" quickly. However, some very small patches on the substrate should not be cause for alarm as it is one of the earliest microbial colonizers. Only mat-like growths should be removed"

:cheers:

Thanks, I don't see those bubbles... But good news is my peppermint shrimp must have ate up the aptasia, I didn't see it the next morning. But now they are hanging around my Gonio, some parts of my Gonio close up due to that....

Thanks, I don't see those bubbles... But good news is my peppermint shrimp must have ate up the aptasia, I didn't see it the next morning. But now they are hanging around my Gonio, some parts of my Gonio close up due to that....

In general peppermint r pretty shy.. they only appear during feeding time like fire shrimp... But shrimp known like to disturb coral during feeding time.. But I dun think they will harass yr gonio in normal day. probably try monitor first and QT or sell some of them if you doubt. Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

In general peppermint r pretty shy.. they only appear during feeding time like fire shrimp... But shrimp known like to disturb coral during feeding time.. But I dun think they will harass yr gonio in normal day. probably try monitor first and QT or sell some of them if you doubt. Cheers..

Ok, well my gonios still doing well. Only the parts the shrimps are harrasing are closing up, the other parts are all fully extended. I just bought a small live rock yesterday, when I put it in the tank then realised there are at least 6 aiptasias on it. Morning still left a few.

Also realised early in the morning, my fishes will have white spots. (when they just wake up), but when it hits mid day or evening, the white spots are gone. Other than a little flashing, the fishes are doing well, no broken fins, no lacerations nothing. Maybe should just let it slide and allow their natural defences to fight off the white spots. BTW are cleaner (skunk) shrimps any useful for white spot conditions with your expriences?

Ok, well my gonios still doing well. Only the parts the shrimps are harrasing are closing up, the other parts are all fully extended. I just bought a small live rock yesterday, when I put it in the tank then realised there are at least 6 aiptasias on it. Morning still left a few.

Also realised early in the morning, my fishes will have white spots. (when they just wake up), but when it hits mid day or evening, the white spots are gone. Other than a little flashing, the fishes are doing well, no broken fins, no lacerations nothing. Maybe should just let it slide and allow their natural defences to fight off the white spots. BTW are cleaner (skunk) shrimps any useful for white spot conditions with your expriences?

Skunk Cleaner shrimps r omnivorou & scavenger, they consume both plants, animals & waste. Also they r usually feed on parasites and dead tissue. Therefore, they r good for cleaning parasites off the body of the host.

They cant clean white spot. But I found they can help to relief yr fishes especially Tang when they need cleaning.

You may try Fire Shrimp as well.. Good parasites eater and less attitude issue. Actually Peppermint do some cleaning job as well... For fishes, I like neon goby...

May be stop stocking livestock for the moment until yr tank stable..

Cheers.

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Skunk Cleaner shrimps r omnivorou & scavenger, they consume both plants, animals & waste. Also they r usually feed on parasites and dead tissue. Therefore, they r good for cleaning parasites off the body of the host.

They cant clean white spot. But I found they can help to relief yr fishes especially Tang when they need cleaning.

You may try Fire Shrimp as well.. Good parasites eater and less attitude issue. Actually Peppermint do some cleaning job as well... For fishes, I like neon goby...

Cheers.

In general, what CFOh say is true.

But in our tank with the abundance food supply, these shrimps are LAZY!!!

Only snatching food from corals during feeding time. :angry:

Cheers.

Yeah, not stocking the tank anymore. That's why wanted to do swop of 1 peppermint for cleaner.

My tank is full already, some say overfilled. So not planning to stock, although it is very tempting. :ThanxSmiley: