Weekly Update - 28th Feb to 06th March 2011

• SRC Member

Hey lemon

This the butterfly I asked about. Very nice yet very impossible to keep right ?

Btw, can pm me how many red notes for sohal tang. Thanks.

Cuvier is the name of the scientist that described this fish.

the scientific name is just Chaetodon larvatus.

Nice meeting you again today :)

did not buy anything? haha

• Senior Reefer

Hey lemon

This the butterfly I asked about. Very nice yet very impossible to keep right ?

Btw, can pm me how many red notes for sohal tang. Thanks.

i wont say its impossible

but the success rate is extremely low. Because of their strict SPS diet. larvatus is not the hardest. C. ornatus is even harder.

Cuvier is the name of the scientist that described this fish.

the scientific name is just Chaetodon larvatus.

Nice meeting you again today :)

did not buy anything? haha

Thks Lemon :) not familiar with butterfly.. New thing to learn.. :thumbsup: Just browsing today.. Nice to meet u too... forgot to say Happy Birthday to Terry.. Hopes not too late.. :P

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

Thks Lemon :) not familiar with butterfly.. New thing to learn.. :thumbsup: Just browsing today.. Nice to meet u too... forgot to say Happy Birthday to Terry.. Hopes not too late.. :P

at the end of every scientific name is the name of the person who described it.

so in the case of C. larvatus, (curvier) described it with the date usually attached. anyway boring stuff haha.

yah terryz birthday today hehe.

• SRC Member

i wont say its impossible

but the success rate is extremely low. Because of their strict SPS diet. larvatus is not the hardest. C. ornatus is even harder.

I just don't understand why these fishes are still being imported in by our LFS. Maybe they have no choice but to take in whatever the suppliers give them but they should try to alert the suppliers that these fishes are doomed in captivity. I don't think there are many SPS keepers here who are willing to let these fishes eat their precious SPS corals and even so, how long can it last feeding them SPS.

Beautiful fishes like these should be left alone in the ocean. They have lives too. Very sad.

And sorry, i've gone off topic.

iwarna..

unique yumas.. 3 for 2 blues...view at iwarna better, the pics dun do justice..

rics only 1 rock, also 2 blues...place for sale by other reefer

one supersun in the tank beside the pond..

red PPES 1red-1purple

new suppliers of D-D salt came in..

shld b expecting walt smith n africa fishes coming in soon..

post-2836-0-64343700-1299061036_thumb.jp

post-2836-0-07445300-1299061056_thumb.jp

post-2836-0-55858700-1299061116_thumb.jp

post-2836-0-49355000-1299061135_thumb.jp

post-2836-0-01653500-1299061166_thumb.jp

post-2836-0-27326500-1299061224_thumb.jp

post-2836-0-28935700-1299061239_thumb.jp

post-2836-0-26960400-1299061282_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

price of yumas fluctuate...if can wait, u can get one big rock at a super bargain price

there's nothing much at AM...lots of big fire shrimps and cleaner shrimps...i think one guy was looking for them...

l7304smr.jpg

price of yumas fluctuate...if can wait, u can get one big rock at a super bargain price

there's nothing much at AM...lots of big fire shrimps and cleaner shrimps...i think one guy was looking for them...

unfortunately i think the guy is lookin for small cleaner shrimp.. the only cleaner shrimp tht i see is small is in iwarna mini tank beside auntie table, tank + livestock value > $1K lolx..

• Senior Reefer

I just don't understand why these fishes are still being imported in by our LFS. Maybe they have no choice but to take in whatever the suppliers give them but they should try to alert the suppliers that these fishes are doomed in captivity. I don't think there are many SPS keepers here who are willing to let these fishes eat their precious SPS corals and even so, how long can it last feeding them SPS.

Beautiful fishes like these should be left alone in the ocean. They have lives too. Very sad.

And sorry, i've gone off topic.

relax bro.

you will never be able to prevent the collection. but you can certainly reduce the importing of them to as low as we possibly can.

this is how it works. the collectors will catch all the different fish species (including obligate coralivores) and list them out in a stocklist. this stocklist will be sent to the LFS as an invoice.

The lfs will order the fishes they want from that said invoice, and wether or not they order the obligate coralivores, it does not matter. here's a couple of scenariors.

1) the LFS did not order them, and so they will not come. this is good. but this still does not stop the capture of the fish.

2) the LFS did not order them, but they still come anyway. the supplier just put them in the fish shipment.

i've placed many orders for different LFS before and i understand how the importation work. and the above 2 scenarios i've seen many times.

we can only play our part by not buying them and hope that over the years, the collection will stop.

but to be honest, it all boils down to ignorance. ignorant divers who don't know that these fishes are impossible to keep, and ignorant reefers who don't know that these fishes are impossible to keep. it's up to us ultimately, as the consumer, who have proper education and comprehension to learn and read up on not to buy this fish. it is not the philippine and indonesian collectors fault because most of them are uneducated and cant comprehand english. so expecting them to learn this on the internet or books is not going to work. instead, they will stop catching from experience if the fishes cannot sell. this is where the hobbyist come in.

butterflies are always the unpopular bunch.and if ever they are going to be bought, sadly, i've seen hundreds of reefers jump at the opportunity to buy an ornate butterflyfish when it is deemed impossible. yet, the longnose butterflyfish which is so so easy to keep and reef safe, are always left to die because ppl they are not reef safe and difficult to keep.

the internet is full of resources but the truth is, many people simply too lazy to research before they buy. then they bring the fish home, and then all the complaints start streaming out.

and also global warming will probably kill these fishes faster. at the rate at which our acropora corals are dying, these obligate coralivores will die along with the acropora.

and FYI to any hobbyist reading this. i'm sure some of you may say "oh, so and so manage to get his feeding on pellets and survive 2 months"

well just a reminder. for every one obligate coralivore that survive, hundreds more die. you think it's easy and it's luck but it's not. when you go down into the behaviour and the overall physical adaptation of these species then you will understand that it's impossible.

anyway if it's any consolation, these obligate coral eating butterflies are generally unpopular in the states and japan where people do research before buying. it's only in asian countries that people don't do research and generally buy for fun. perhaps because it's so cheap here that people take forgranted. and these butterflies are very abundant and common in the wild.

ok sorry for the off topic. cheers and if i offended anyone in my speech, well don't be. i'm not targeting any reefers and if anyone here is guilty of buying them before, well, they died right? so learn from there and don't buy them anymore :)

• SRC Supporter

relax bro.

you will never be able to prevent the collection. but you can certainly reduce the importing of them to as low as we possibly can.

this is how it works. the collectors will catch all the different fish species (including obligate coralivores) and list them out in a stocklist. this stocklist will be sent to the LFS as an invoice.

The lfs will order the fishes they want from that said invoice, and wether or not they order the obligate coralivores, it does not matter. here's a couple of scenariors.

1) the LFS did not order them, and so they will not come. this is good. but this still does not stop the capture of the fish.

2) the LFS did not order them, but they still come anyway. the supplier just put them in the fish shipment.

i've placed many orders for different LFS before and i understand how the importation work. and the above 2 scenarios i've seen many times.

we can only play our part by not buying them and hope that over the years, the collection will stop.

but to be honest, it all boils down to ignorance. ignorant divers who don't know that these fishes are impossible to keep, and ignorant reefers who don't know that these fishes are impossible to keep. it's up to us ultimately, as the consumer, who have proper education and comprehension to learn and read up on not to buy this fish. it is not the philippine and indonesian collectors fault because most of them are uneducated and cant comprehand english. so expecting them to learn this on the internet or books is not going to work. instead, they will stop catching from experience if the fishes cannot sell. this is where the hobbyist come in.

butterflies are always the unpopular bunch.and if ever they are going to be bought, sadly, i've seen hundreds of reefers jump at the opportunity to buy an ornate butterflyfish when it is deemed impossible. yet, the longnose butterflyfish which is so so easy to keep and reef safe, are always left to die because ppl they are not reef safe and difficult to keep.

the internet is full of resources but the truth is, many people simply too lazy to research before they buy. then they bring the fish home, and then all the complaints start streaming out.

and also global warming will probably kill these fishes faster. at the rate at which our acropora corals are dying, these obligate coralivores will die along with the acropora.

and FYI to any hobbyist reading this. i'm sure some of you may say "oh, so and so manage to get his feeding on pellets and survive 2 months"

well just a reminder. for every one obligate coralivore that survive, hundreds more die. you think it's easy and it's luck but it's not. when you go down into the behaviour and the overall physical adaptation of these species then you will understand that it's impossible.

anyway if it's any consolation, these obligate coral eating butterflies are generally unpopular in the states and japan where people do research before buying. it's only in asian countries that people don't do research and generally buy for fun. perhaps because it's so cheap here that people take forgranted. and these butterflies are very abundant and common in the wild.

ok sorry for the off topic. cheers and if i offended anyone in my speech, well don't be. i'm not targeting any reefers and if anyone here is guilty of buying them before, well, they died right? so learn from there and don't buy them anymore :)

When the buying stop the killing will also stop or at least greatly reduce ... That's what responsible reef keeping is about , being responsible to gather as much knowledge in this hobby and not buying due to impulse. There is so much things to learn in this hobby which also make it so interesting even to those which has been reefing for years find it almost endless...